Fault finding a VFX3048E inverter

I am fixing this VFX3048E inverter
the first fault was 24 FETs are shorted, so I replace all of them.
Next U10 and Q5 smoke ,The LEDs are active, so i replaced them.
now tyhe display LEDs are not active but the 22v + 13v + +12 and the +5v and -12 + -5v are all working but there is another 5v LED on the left side of the main control PCB lodgic board is not on.
No output.
I see on the AC control PCB there are a few relays, whats the coil voltage ?
Has any one got a schematic or at least a Block diagram for this ?

Allen
Hawkesbury hydrogen

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Fault finding a VFX3048E inverter

Welcome to the forum.

Speaking as someone who used to repair circuit boards for a living (they paid me lots of money and twice as much aggravation) I have to ask why you're doing this.

Outback will sell you working replacement circuit boards which will get the inverter running again in no time, without the hassle of trying to reverse engineer the thing and possible blow out components over and over until you get all the bad ones changed.

I don't think they'll sell you a schematic with Voltages and parts specs though. You could always contact them and find out.

I'm also wondering how somebody managed to blow one of the most dependable and bullet-proof inverters in the world. :p
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

When FETs go--They either fail because the controller circuit failed, or when the FETs failed themselves (AC load problems, age, bad parts, etc.), they also take out the FET control circuit.

I would go with Marc on this--Unless this is your are of expertise--I would get an exchange with Outback.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • fiero128
    fiero128 Registered Users Posts: 5
    Welcome to the forum.

Speaking as someone who used to repair circuit boards for a living (they paid me lots of money and twice as much aggravation) I have to ask why you're doing this.

Outback will sell you working replacement circuit boards which will get the inverter running again in no time, without the hassle of trying to reverse engineer the thing and possible blow out components over and over until you get all the bad ones changed.

I don't think they'll sell you a schematic with Voltages and parts specs though. You could always contact them and find out.

I'm also wondering how somebody managed to blow one of the most dependable and bullet-proof inverters in the world. :p

I am in western Sydney Australia and the shipping cost and the cost of the pcbs are too high.
    All i need is either a block diagram or a schematic of the inverter. I don't need the voltage or parts specs.
    The VFX3048E inverter was blown by lightning strike

Allen
    Hawkesbury Hydrogen
  • fiero128

the owners don't want to pay the prices that outback charge
  • fiero128
    BB. wrote: »
    When FETs go--They either fail because the controller circuit failed, or when the FETs failed themselves (AC load problems, age, bad parts, etc.), they also take out the FET control circuit.

I would go with Marc on this--Unless this is your are of expertise--I would get an exchange with Outback.

-Bill
    there is two boards called the control board
    One is a logic board and the other is called the AC control board
    the logic board has all the chips on it and the AC control PCB has relays on it and a large valued cap on it.
    which one are you talking about?
  • fiero128

thanks for the welcome

I am in western Sydney Australia and the shipping cost and the cost of the pcbs are too high.
    All i need is either a block diagram or a schematic of the inverter. I don't need the voltage or parts specs.
    The VFX3048E inverter was blown by lightning strike
    Welcome to the forum.