Power use of the Wife's Curling iron and straigtner.

nobody928
nobody928 Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
I was always afraid of how anything with a heating element would drain my batteries. I did a quick test to see the power draw off of my wifes curling iron and flat iron.

To my suprise the PRO TOOLs brand flat iron only consumed 100 watts or less and the number went down a bit after it warmed up.

The Vidal Sasson curling iron was a real shocker only consuming 30 watts of power or less.

I read a lot of misleading information on the net regarding power draw from these devices and I had been running my generator when I didnt need to be.

It just goes to show how important it is to test your own devices.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Power use of the Wife's Curling iron and straigtner.

Definitely important to test the device in question, no matter what it is. People are always asking "how much does a refrigerator use?" and the answer is "which one, and where?"

I wouldn't expect curling irons to use high Watts because high Watts means high heat which would mean burnt hair. Hair dryers on the other hand due suck up 1kW or more.

And of course with everything there's not only how much it draws but for how long. I've no idea the length of time needed to curl your hair but I know some young ladies who can spend considerable amount of time blow-drying their long locks. Fortunately it's on their bills now, not mine. ;)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,569 admin
    Re: Power use of the Wife's Curling iron and straigtner.

Yep--A Kill-a-Watt type meter is a great investment for measuring AC loads.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset