Testing drinking water for bacteria

Dave Angelini
Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
I have been using this 10 time use kit test for testing rainwater for bacteria. The source of contamination would most likely be from birds.

https://www.discovertesting.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=3283&catid=7&loc=show&headTitle=Bacteria%20Test%2010%20Pack

A client is looking for something that is more like the bacteria test strips used for swimming pools and spas. Anyone know of one or a good site to check?
"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
   htps://offgridsolar1.com/
E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

Comments

• ramloui
    ramloui Solar Expert Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Re: Testing drinking water for bacteria

At work, we use Sanicheck BF from BIOSAN Laboratories to test for bacteria and fungi in our cooling water systems. They are simple kits where you dip a paddle in the water and incubate at 25-30oC for 24-36 hours. Then you count the number of colonies. If you are considering the water for drinking, then no perceptible colonieswould be my criteria.

Hope this helps!
    Off-grid cabin in northern Quebec: 6 x 250 W Conergy panels, FM80, 4 x 6V CR430 in series (24V nominal), Magnum MS4024-PAE
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Testing drinking water for bacteria

Thanks Louis! I still would like to find a faster method but...
    ramloui wrote: »
    At work, we use Sanicheck BF from BIOSAN Laboratories to test for bacteria and fungi in our cooling water systems. They are simple kits where you dip a paddle in the water and incubate at 25-30oC for 24-36 hours. Then you count the number of colonies. If you are considering the water for drinking, then no perceptible colonieswould be my criteria.

Hope this helps!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net