Stranded cable in set screw type busbar?

What do you guys do to the end of a stranded cable when your going to terminate it in a bus bar like this?

Attachment not found.

Jeff

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Stranded cable in set screw type busbar?

If you used "building code approved" wiring, you can use solid or coarse stranded copper cable (something like 19 strands or so).

Do not use this type for fine strand cable (like welding cable).... the smaller/high strand count cables just do not make good connections in these types of connectors (in my humble opinion).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • kev1n69
    kev1n69 Registered Users Posts: 19
    unyalli wrote: »
    What do you guys do to the end of a stranded cable when your going to terminate it in a bus bar like this?

Attachment not found.

Jeff

fine stranded wire i would solder the end 60/40 and if possible throw in a little bit of silver solder when you have just about enough to cover all the strands.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    kev1n69 wrote: »
    fine stranded wire i would solder the end 60/40 and if possible throw in a little bit of silver solder when you have just about enough to cover all the strands.

I'd suggest not doing this as a soldered chunk of fine-strand will shift in its density due to heat and natural mechanical action. In other words it is likely to come loose. More so than the straight-forward screw connection.

If you must use fine-strand then use a proper lug connecter for it, properly swaged.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

Copper Ferrell's are easy to find for small wire. For larger wire I have used Anderson Contact lugs, sometimes you have to reduce their size.

http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/housings-contacts/pp120-sb120-loose-piece-contact.html , 2 - 6 ga

http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/housings-contacts/917-sb350-loose-piece-contact.html , 1/0 - 4/0
  • unyalli
    unyalli Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭

Learned a bit about ferrules. Got some in 4 gauge and first did a crimp with my hydraulic crimper. Didn't like this so inserted it in the bus bar and torqued the screw a little tighter than spec. It squashed the ferrule pretty nice so I took the hack saw and cut it right at the point of the most squashed to see what it looked like.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

I'm thinking the crimp by screw is looking pretty good. What say you?

-Jeff
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

Keep in mind that now you have an over stressed buss bar connection which may lead to failure with time.
    something is wrong with your crimped if it not giving acceptable crimps. Wrong jaws, crimp setting not correct etc.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!