windmax v series owners & instalation manual

kev1n69
kev1n69 Registered Users Posts: 19
i just got one of these new in the boxes for a good price and it did not have any documentation does any one have this info available?
it is the 1kw version w/21ft 2 piece tower and play toy charge control-regulator any help?
i searced the net for several hours yeaserday and could find nothing including the two new websites skymax and hy technology cold not locate documentation

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin
    Re: windmax v series owners & instalation manual

Here are some Windmax basic information (don't know if it applies to your model):

www.magnet4less.com/images/WINDMAX_H_user_manual_v2.pdf HYenergy Wind Turbine Guidebook
    www.magnet4less.com/images/windmaxcontroller12v24v.pdf" Hybrid Charge Controller USER MANUAL

Note: I, personally, am not a fan of small wind power systems. I don't believe they will work for most people, are expensive to install (the tower, electronics, maintenance, crane/winches usually cost way more than the turbines) and (overall) tend not to be very reliable.

If you have the time, interest, and money to experiment--Great. Just install the turbines away from homes/places where your kids may play, etc... It is not that uncommon for wind turbines (in general) to shed blades and fall from towers in heavy winds.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • kev1n69
    BB. wrote: »
    Here are some Windmax basic information (don't know if it applies to your model):

www.magnet4less.com/images/WINDMAX_H_user_manual_v2.pdf HYenergy Wind Turbine Guidebook
    www.magnet4less.com/images/windmaxcontroller12v24v.pdf" Hybrid Charge Controller USER MANUAL

Note: I, personally, am not a fan of small wind power systems. I don't believe they will work for most people, are expensive to install (the tower, electronics, maintenance, crane/winches usually cost way more than the turbines) and (overall) tend not to be very reliable.

If you have the time, interest, and money to experiment--Great. Just install the turbines away from homes/places where your kids may play, etc... It is not that uncommon for wind turbines (in general) to shed blades and fall from towers in heavy winds.

-Bill

from reading the post in this thread i am well aware of most peoples disdain for small wind but in my area i learned from my junk air403 that during the short amount of time it actually ran it produced a ton of usable power i just want something for back up charging in the winter as their are weeks were it does not make any sense to brush the snow off the panels just to have them recovered by more inches of snow.
    if the sun aint shining the wind is blowing i am just south of lake superior and the Canadians have a large wind farm just across the border.
    the guy i bought this off of has had his running for 2.5 years with no problems at 21 feet in height stock tower height he originally purchased 6 of these and sold 4 to another guy i got the last one or i may have bought 2 of them.
    i saw his working in a slight breeze and it was producing a few amps at 50volts according to the toy charge controller it came with. his place is on the same wind as i get just 12 miles S.E. of me i think it will work ok for what i need i also have a few home brew mills i am going to try.
  • BB.

Sounds like a plan... If you can get it running well at 20-30 feet for your needs--So much the better.

Did the links help you at all identify how they erect their turbine?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • kev1n69

yes thanks along with the opinions on the blog i am now up to date on the various opinions 0f small wind and thats cool but i have two neighbors running skystreems one is on my same level and the other is down a 75 foot plateau guess what his machine hardly turns except on a rare (normally) south east wind .
    i know it will be beneficial. to me i just hope i have as good or better luck than the guy i bought it from.
    if this one works out i may consider another from that same mfr.
    if i ever get currently (5) wind projects up and running i will try to keep the blog up to date on my progress.
  • kev1n69

the link to the one site just confirmed what i already figured just the measurements were wrong as to the different height tower. but yes as i thought they had probably just folded on small stuff as the corporate site has only medium to large-small small wind.
  • BB.

On thing you might try--Fly a kite at the various locations you want to site the turbine.

Find the altitude where the kite is laminar flow (non-turbulent) in your common wind conditions. Should give you an idea of the minimum height you will need short of putting up some temporary logging anemometers on tower(s).

-Bill
  • kev1n69

http://www.greenpower4less.com/windmax_004.htm

this is the only thing i have been able to find as it was linked to in the sellers craigs list ad
    any other info would be helpful
  • kev1n69
    kev1n69 wrote: »
    http://www.greenpower4less.com/windmax_004.htm

this is the only thing i have been able to find as it was linked to in the sellers craigs list ad
    any other info would be helpful

their are 8 pages of sales literature on the linked site but no link to owners/ installation for this unit. i did find an email address and sent them an email will see if they reply.
  • DaveM54
    DaveM54 Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited May 2018 #10
    Newbie here though not new to wind generators.  I am rather curious: what is "a good price" for one of these units?  I have been offered two 2KW units for $1500.  They were manufactured in 2008.  One was in use for approximately four years.  The other has never been used and is still in the boxes and packaging.  Manual is included and possibly one tower, along with charge controllers.  I've heard that Chinese charge controllers are not that great, but can anyone offer any thoughts on possible value?
  • DaveM54
    DaveM54 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Would like to add that this includes two towers, one 40 feet, the other 20.  These are made of 5" schedule 40 galvanized pipe with custom-fabricated flange fittings for connecting the pipes and the turbine assembly itself.  Bases, again custom-fabricated, are also included as are the guy wire cables and all other related fittings.

On the possibly dark side of the coin, both units are 2KW Windmax V-Series units, which I have not heard good things about.  As I said before, one is in new condition, the other was in use for approximately four years.  The second tower was used with another company's turbine which the owner said appeared to be more efficient or at least produced more power.

Realistically, is this $1500 worth of equipment?  He has also offered to store the towers (which at the moment are on the ground, lowered by included gin poles) for up to a year at no cost to me.