Why is there a "generation credit" on my utility bill?

nichtwichtig
nichtwichtig Solar Expert Posts: 27
I am shopping around for a solar system for my roof.
As I was collecting my electricity usage data so that solar vendors could make their bids, I came across an unexpected “generation credit” on my bill. (See attached image below.)

How is it possible that I am getting a “generation credit” even though I am not (yet) generating anything?

I am NOT complaining about this discount—and I don’t really want to ask my utility (Pacific Gas & Electric) about it because if and when I finally go solar, I am worried PG&E is going to say “Oh, that was a mistake!— You owe us $10,000 in back charges!”

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: Why is there a "generation credit" on my utility bill?

You can play dumb , but when and if they do a audit they might catch it and your right they will come after you for it back. Maybe your account was used in some kind of a leasing fraud. What are you going to do if you do get Solar ?? Do you think they will give you a double credit. You have a judgement and Integrity call to make.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    You have a judgement and Integrity call to make.

I have to agree. Well said Blackcherry. So Mote It Be.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

do you think there's a chance they may have over billed you last month or over several months and are just repaying you?
  • nichtwichtig
    nichtwichtig Solar Expert Posts: 27

It turns out, I had signed up for MCE:
    https://mcecleanenergy.com
    (See new attachment.)

From the web site:

Billings Basics
    You’ll see a few changes on your bill but on the bottom line, your utility charges won’t change much at all.

PG&E’s electric charges will decrease - that's because PG&E stops charging you for the cost of generating electricity. MCE will replace PG&E's charge for the cost of generating electricity.You’ll still have an electric charge from PG&E to cover the cost of distribution, transmission, and other taxes and fees that PG&E continues to charge you for - and at the same rates. MCE's replacement charge will appear on the first page of your bill along with PG&E's electric charges. Since you're paying two companies for different electric services, you will see two electric charge line items on the first page of your bill.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    It turns out, I had signed up for MCE:
    https://mcecleanenergy.com
    (See new attachment.)

From the web site:

Billings Basics
    You’ll see a few changes on your bill but on the bottom line, your utility charges won’t change much at all.

PG&E’s electric charges will decrease - that's because PG&E stops charging you for the cost of generating electricity. MCE will replace PG&E's charge for the cost of generating electricity.You’ll still have an electric charge from PG&E to cover the cost of distribution, transmission, and other taxes and fees that PG&E continues to charge you for - and at the same rates. MCE's replacement charge will appear on the first page of your bill along with PG&E's electric charges. Since you're paying two companies for different electric services, you will see two electric charge line items on the first page of your bill.

Oh and a rate hike too!