Options
1235»

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: I don't really like my Surrettes

Welcome to the forum.

I recommend to start with that you disregard the XW6048 and its companion 600 Volt MPPT controller as well a all other equipment choices until you have some sort of design for your system, beginning with how much power you need to supply. Without that figure to work from you will definitely be spending your money unwisely.

As for shortened battery life do to non-use, this doesn't really happen. How long will you be leaving it for and at what time of year? I walk away from mine for six months of Winter and when I return it is fine and functioning. You just shut off the inverter and leave the rest to keep the batteries charged. The combination of cold ambient temps and short sun hours actually work to preserve the batteries; lowering the chemical activity and reducing the charging to a minimal maintenance level.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

GenX, start your own thread , starting with a description of what you want to power (loads) and we can fly at it with you...8)

a gen W type (retired, lovin it)

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • GENX
    GENX Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

I recommend to start with that you disregard the XW6048 and its companion 600 Volt MPPT controller as well a all other equipment choices until you have some sort of design for your system, beginning with how much power you need to supply. Without that figure to work from you will definitely be spending your money unwisely.

As for shortened battery life do to non-use, this doesn't really happen. How long will you be leaving it for and at what time of year? I walk away from mine for six months of Winter and when I return it is fine and functioning. You just shut off the inverter and leave the rest to keep the batteries charged. The combination of cold ambient temps and short sun hours actually work to preserve the batteries; lowering the chemical activity and reducing the charging to a minimal maintenance level.

Cariboocoot, thank you. I do have an idea of power. I will explain in another thread as recommended. The loads and system size are the easy part but the batteries seem daunting to me. I don't have much experience with them.

I was concerned with comments regarding the manuals not being well written when it comes to batteries and RE systems and charging. I am in the research phase and just not sure what to do here, I thought perhaps, there is a better system for charging RE or I ditch my proposed MPPT. The home will spend 50 weeks a year unoccupied in the beginning. The idea being work on finishing the house (while hunting :roll:)for a couple weeks a year prepping for retirement. This process will be 5 years, then we will spend 6 months on site 6 months winter away.
  • GENX
    GENX Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    westbranch wrote: »
    GenX, start your own thread , starting with a description of what you want to power (loads) and we can fly at it with you...8)

a gen W type (retired, lovin it)

Westbranch,
    I will start a thread and stitch my info together for all to help me throw darts and figure stuff out. I have a very unique house and a miraculous story of how I got it. I am in need of co-pilots to help me "fly at it" thanks for your gracious advice.