RS-232 ?? EP Solar e-Tracer 6415N Mppt 60A

Options
Hi
New to the forum, but hoping someone may be able to help me.

I recently purchased the EP Solar e-Tracer 60A Mppt controller, I can't yet comment on it's performance (as a controller) as I have spent the last two weeks with it indoors trying to get some of it's features to work.

There seems to be very little information about these controllers out there on the web, unless you want to buy one of course, and looking at the specs it seemed to be very good, and as I was returning a faulty item to the suppliers, I decided to exchange the faulty item for this controller rather than having a refund.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has successfully managed to set up and use the RS-232 port for monitoring the device, as the manual says you can, but doesn't tell you how or what the port settings should be, so I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has this port/feature working.

The manual also states that you can update the firmware using the RS-232 port with the updater program that can be downloaded from the EP Solar website, well you can't, it's not available, and the suppliers have verified this, they managed to get the program directly from the manufacture's. The web interface works...sometimes... but for some strange reason the controllers IP address and MAC address will not show up on the routers list of connected devices, maybe this is why it keeps dropping the connection, the suppliers have also confirmed that it doesn't show up as a connected device on their network, but hadn't noticed it until I pointed it out, they also verified that the DHCP doesn't work either, after I pointed that out too.

The suppliers are trying to get the issues resolved with the manufactures (In China), but I'm not holding my breath.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: RS-232 ?? EP Solar e-Tracer 6415N Mppt 60A

Here are some links to a few discussions about EPsolar on the forum:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Epsolar++site%3Awind-sun.com

Google search for "Epsolar site:wind-sun.com"

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Kentsun
    Kentsun Registered Users Posts: 11
    Options

Hi, Thank you for replying and for the links.

So on the face of it, it looks like the unit is a reasonable charge controller, but couldn't see any info or comments regarding the use of the RS232 serial port for monitoring the device, Just glad I held back and didn't buy the "Winwedge" Data Collection software !!
  • Ulrich
    Ulrich Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options

Hi
    my understanding is that the 6415N's serial port is just to upload a new patch of software (which obviously does not exist so far). You can monitor (and edit) the device on your browser using TCP/IP network interface (Ethernet). By default the network address is static 192.168.001.002. If you want the device connected to your network you must either switch to DHCP or change the static address to meet your network requirements.
    There are bugs in the web interface; f.e. I could not change the network parameters (had to do this on the hardware interface).
    I would also advice you to connect a sensing wire from your battery to the designated port at the device (No. 11 labeled remote battery sensor). If you don't, the DC voltage will fluctuate > 0.5V and regulation will be far less accurate.