Technical questions related to Outback Mate/FlexnetDC

jcheil
jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
I got all my new equipment up and running, and after reading thru the 100+ pages of the manuals I still have a couple of unanswered questions. Perhaps someone here who has the same equipment can assist:

In the CC section, "Temperature Compensation, Lower Upper Battery Voltage" - defaults to 52.8 and 56.4 - what is this exactly and what is the recommended setting? Also where can I go to see if they are working? There is one connected to the FM80 and one connected to the VFX3648.

In the SYSTEM-SYSTEM INFORMATION section, "Max Inverter kwh" and "max charger kwh" - defaults to 1.4 and 1.2 - again what is this? The setting for generator max kwh I understand and have that set properly.

In BATTERY MONITOR section, "Charged Voltage" and "minutes" - I am guessing this should be set to whatever is considered the "fully charged" voltage for x number of minutes? If so, recommendations? Default is 28.2 (doesn't seem right).

Thanks!
Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Technical questions related to Outback Mate/FlexnetDC
    jcheil wrote: »
    Perhaps someone here who has the same equipment can assist:

In the CC section, "Temperature Compensation, Lower Upper Battery Voltage" - defaults to 52.8 and 56.4 - what is this exactly and what is the recommended setting? Also where can I go to see if they are working? There is one connected to the FM80 and one connected to the VFX3648.

If your batteries get hot/cold enough the voltage (after compensation) can get very low/high. I think those settings set a limit to how low/high the voltages are allowed to go with compensation.

I don't have a flexnet DC, so I'm not sure how to answer your other questions.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • jcheil
    vtmaps wrote: »
    If your batteries get hot/cold enough the voltage (after compensation) can get very low/high. I think those settings set a limit to how low/high the voltages are allowed to go with compensation.--vtMaps

That was my impression also, but it doesn't make sense because 56.4 is below the bulk/absorb voltage of 58.8 that I have it set for. So that would imply that it would never let the voltage go over 56.4?? IDK, I don't understand it. Hopefully someone else does.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • vtmaps
    That was my impression also, but it doesn't make sense because 56.4 is below the bulk/absorb voltage of 58.8 that I have it set for. So that would imply that it would never let the voltage go over 56.4??

Maybe the reason that the default is so low is because Outback wants to be low enough that you won't ruin a gel or AGM battery. The default voltage for absorb and float may also be too low for your batteries.

Fortunately you don't have to accept their default values for anything... you can use whatever settings are right for your batteries. We've had a few folks on this forum complain that they couldn't get their batteries charged using Outback inverters. Turns out that they didn't know they needed a Mate to set appropriate charging parameters. The default values for low voltage disconnect are also too low in my opinion.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

I've never used the Flexnet but I'm pretty sure the default high/low settings are relative to the default medians. It follows that if you adjust the median the upper and lower limits would change likewise.

I agree with vtMaps about the LVD too: first thing you do with that is change it to system nominal. That protects the batteries from being taken below 50% SOC under load.
  • jcheil

I agree and did set all the absorb/float voltages to real numbers. They were way too low.
    So do you have recommendation on the temp corrected figures?
    For absorb I am at 58.4, float 54.4 and eq at 60.4 - Wondering if the temp min max should be somewhere along those lines?

Also, after playing around a bit, I am beginning to think that the SYSTEM - max inverter and max charger kw settings are only used as a reference for the bar graphs on the main status screen because you can set those actual figures (which effect the actual output) in other places where you can set the charger max output to x amps.

But, since one appears to be AC and one is DC I am confused as to the calculation. I'm sure the engineer who designed it knew exactly what HE meant, but it's misleading to an end user IMO.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately I didn't design it or write the manual. Maybe Outback would like to explain it? They used to be pretty good on customer service. I haven't heard how they fair in that department since the sale to Alpha.
  • vtmaps
    I agree and did set all the absorb/float voltages to real numbers. They were way too low.
    So do you have recommendation on the temp corrected figures?
    For absorb I am at 58.4, float 54.4 and eq at 60.4 - Wondering if the temp min max should be somewhere along those lines?

When your batteries are cold the voltages will be higher than your nominal settings. That's good. (I assume you have a remote battery temp sensor).

If they are cold enough the absorb voltage could be up over 60 volts, which is what you want if the batteries are that cold. The reason for the max voltage setting is that some inverters shut down if the voltage gets too high... you may wish to avoid that by setting the max to something that your inverter can handle. BUT, if you do that your batteries may not get fully charged. They NEED higher voltage when they are cold.

Oh, I see you're in Florida... I guess they won't be getting too cold.

--vtMaps
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi jcheil,

There is an FNDC Topic on the Outback Forum:
    http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=758b0ef6ab880d7dea95a173dda877c6

FWIW. I know absolutely nothing of the FNDC from personal experience. Have Fun with the new system, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • jcheil
    Vic wrote: »
    Hi jcheil,

There is an FNDC Topic on the Outback Forum:
    http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=758b0ef6ab880d7dea95a173dda877c6

FWIW. I know absolutely nothing of the FNDC from personal experience. Have Fun with the new system, Vic

Thanks, I just signed up over there.