Daisy Chain vs Leap Frog wiring for PV modules

Came across this interesting concept of wiring the panels, anyone tried it? I always did a daisy-chain, not much money one can save for a rooftop residential.

http://solarprofessional.com/articles/design-installation/cost-saving-pv-source-circuit-wiring-method?v=disable_pagination

-Frank

Attachment not found.

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Daisy Chain vs Leap Frog wiring for PV modules

Some folks call that "skip wiring"

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?p=180170#post180170

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Chris
    Chris Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭

I'm a little confused as to the purpose of the skip wiring.....there still all in series, just a more confusing method?
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Chris wrote: »
    I'm a little confused as to the purpose of the skip wiring.....there still all in series, just a more confusing method?

Less of the "home run" wire. Note that in the first picture the leads from panels are coiled up.... by stretching them out you can use less of the home run wire.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

less home run wire, less wire clips, less wiring hanging down, less voltage drop, less installation labor, less restrictions in arranging strings --- less is more!
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I believe one person here (Solarix?) said that some panel makers are starting to install pigtails that are just a bit "too short" to skip wire.

Something else to watch for...

-Bill

PS: here it is:
    solarix wrote: »
    Canadian Solar has been my favorite brand for many years (even though they moved the factory to China). However recently they changed the junction box on the back and shortened the leads so that we can no longer do the "skip-wiring" trick on them. grrrr. Still good quality though and my bet for the company being around for the length of the warranty.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Leap frogging or "skip wiring" takes longer on the install.

For car ports it looks cleaner and its much cleaner with zipties, however when you have 2 electricians working in one lift the adjustments, up and downs on that lift to keep it clean cost the contractor money. Daisy chain is the only way to do it fast, however there is more liability involved with pinching wires, working on roof tops.
  • Craigaz
    Craigaz Registered Users Posts: 4

I just put up Canadian Solar panels and couldn't skip-wire because of the short wire length.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Craigaz wrote: »
    I just put up Canadian Solar panels and couldn't skip-wire because of the short wire length.

Typically the 60 cell panels do not have the wire length that 72 cell panels do. Not always though, you have to check!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net