Problem with MX 60 "Got Battery?" message

monoloco
monoloco Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭
I am trying to install an MX60 charge controller but when I turn it on I only get a message that says "Got Battery". Anyone have any ideas as to whats going on here?

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Problem with MX 60 "Got Battery?" message

Hi mono ..

A bit of info here:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?448-Outback-MX60-quot-Got-Battery-quot-Message

Have you measured the battery V at the battery terminals of the MX?

Leave the PV or any other source of input power switched off, until you get the battery issue resolved.

Later - Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • monoloco

I am getting 28v at the terminals on the CC, from the batteries, and 90v in from the solar array, but I'm still getting the "Got battery?" message. I've tried to restore it to default and that doesn't work either.
  • Vic

OK, Try shutting off the PV input, and then shut off the Battery breaker ... wait for about one minute, switch the Batt breaker on again, and see if this rteboot fixes anything.

In the linked Thread, boB, the chief designer of the MX-60, while at OB also stated that there could be an open Resistor..

You might also check/re-torque all of the battery and cable connections from the battery to the CC breakers and the CC.

Has this MX been operating without problems before this situation? Is this a new system, or new-to-you MX?

If you have an inverter on this battery bank, try applying a load on the AC out of the inverter, while measuring the battery V -- wondering if there could be a high resistance connection in the battery circuit. Although, the CC should not need much battery current to boot ...

More later, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • monoloco

Thanks for the help Vic. I recently purchased the MX60 from a friend who upgraded his system, he says it was working fine when he removed it. I bought it to add a couple of 315w panels to my system in conjunction with an FX60. The current system with the FX is working fine, it's only a problem with the MX. We see a resistor #139 that appears to be a 120 ohm connected to the battery positive terminal but it is NOT open. Is there another resistor that we are missing?
  • Vic

Hi mono..,

OK, sorry, I know nothing of the internals of the MX-60. Sorry to hear of the issue with that new-to-you one there.

It is probably difficult to see if the battery terminals of the input connector are still soldered well. It is possible that this MX was good on the last day it was in service, but something happened when it was removed, or perhaps in transit.

Perhaps your friend will take it back.

boB does still post here ... but believe that he is not on this Forum every day, but for the workings of the MX-60, he is your best bet.
    Looks like boB was last here: 'Activity: March 21st, 2014 19:17 PDT' FWIW
    Wish I had something to offer ... but do not. Good Luck with the added PV, hope that you can work this out with your friend.
    Good Luck, Vic
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

try this thread... http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?448-Outback-MX60-quot-Got-Battery-quot-Message

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada