I really can't decide...Morningstar or Outback?

2»

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: I really can't decide...Morningstar or Outback?

Skyko,

Here is some additional background on the Pacific NW Electronic/Solar manufacturers:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pages/frontPage/nwHistory/history.php

This is similar to the piece linked previously, but believe it is a bit different, and has a pic of boB ... FWIW, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Vic wrote: »
    Skyko,

Here is some additional background on the Pacific NW Electronic/Solar manufacturers:

This is similar to the piece linked previously, but believe it is a bit different, and has a pic of boB ... FWIW, Vic

Amazing history. Thanks for sharing. Glad I went with Midnight in more ways than one now.
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Skyko,

Yes, thanks for the history lesson. Below tells me who I will be dealing with, concerning controllers in the future:
    Update 2010: We got OutBack back on the right track with new management and then sold it to Alpha Technologies. They have elected to move a lot of the manufacturing to India so MidNite has been hiring laid off OutBack employees.

I will never deal with Morningstar again, due to their less-than-professional customer service when you ring them, especially when I was calling them on my dime, internationally, after purchasing not one, but two of their products.
    Paul
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

I currently am using 2 Outback MX60's, 2 Outback FM60's, a Xantrex C-60 and in our RV, a C-30.

As previous posts have said, the Outback controller fans are NOISY. "jet plane" is accurate. I WOULD NOT put one of these in an RV for that reason alone.

Years ago I installed an auxiliary fan for the RV fridge that was powered by a small solar panel. The fan was behind the fridge. I eventually took it out because of the noise. There wasn't as much sound as the Outbacks produce, but when everything around you in the forest is silent (except for that famous falling tree) you will hear the Outback fans. The fridge fan was quieter but annoying because the noise/speed would change as clouds passed overhead.

It's the little noises that can irritate when you are in that RV away from the madding crowds.

Phil
  • Skyko
    Skyko Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭✭✭✭

After some thought I may end up going with a Morningstar MX60.

Reason 1: It is smaller with no fan...perhaps a bit more sealed from dust, etc.

Reason 2: It self consumes about 3 watts vs about 14 watts for the Midnite classic. On moderately bad days I may only get 100 watts an hour from my 1080 watts of panels and 14% of that lost to the controller itself seems excessive.

Reason 3: It is about $100 cheaper if you don't care about the lcd panel but still want the Ethernet (I think the Midnite Lite does not have Ethernet)

My system will be four 270 watt panels wired 2s2p for 64V 17 amps into the controller, powering a 24V battery bank. Even a Midnite kid would likely work but I still sort of want the Ethernet capability.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Skyko, the MX60 is an Outback product...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »

And one that is no longer made.
  • Skyko
    Skyko Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »

Sorry I meant whatever the Morningstar 60 MMPT was called.
  • Vic

And, Skyko, The MidNite Classic Lite DOES have Ethernet, it has and LED light panel (lacks the LCD screen), and Arc-Fault detector, but, otherwise, is the full Classic (IIRC).

The Classic line of CCs are rated at 96 Amps out on 12 v and 84 A on 48 V, FWIW. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Skyko wrote: »
    Sorry I meant whatever the Morningstar 60 MMPT was called.

It's the Morningstar TS-MPPT-60
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    After some thought I may end up going with a Morningstar MX60.

Reason 1: It is smaller with no fan...perhaps a bit more sealed from dust, etc.

Try the Kid... about right for your load as i recall.
    Reason 2: It self consumes about 3 watts vs about 14 watts for the Midnite classic.

Where did you get that figure? I highest ive ever heard is 5 or 6W for the full classic. The lite is 3W. The Kid is 0.5W.
    On moderately bad days I may only get 100 watts an hour from my 1080 watts of panels and 14% of that lost to the controller itself seems excessive.

100Wh? I dont know where you are but those days are real rare here. I count a total of 9 days below 1000Wh/d for 1.8kWp PV.
    Reason 3: It is about $100 cheaper if you don't care about the lcd panel but still want the Ethernet (I think the Midnite Lite does not have Ethernet)

Kid even cheaper again.
    My system will be four 270 watt panels wired 2s2p for 64V 17 amps into the controller, powering a 24V battery bank. Even a Midnite kid would likely work but I still sort of want the Ethernet capability.

Kid will have serial, which you could convert to ethernet using various converter boards. Lite has ethernet though.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
    zoneblue wrote: »
    Kid even cheaper again.

http://www.solar-electric.com/midnite-solar-kid-controller-accessories.html
    Paul
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    And, Skyko, The MidNite Classic Lite DOES have Ethernet, it has an LED light panel (lacks the LCD screen), and Arc-Fault detector, but, otherwise, is the full Classic (IIRC).

IIRC, the classic lite does NOT have arc fault detection. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Vic

vt,

YES that sentence was poorly edited ... by me, was trying to say the Lite lacks the LCD screen and Arc Fault, but otherwise was a full Classic.

Thanks, Vic
  • mryimmers
    mryimmers Solar Expert Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

Have you looked at the Rogue MPT 3048?
    It will do 1000 watts at 24 volts, comes with everything you need, is completely silent, (no fan) and you can get it right now.
    It also has very low power consumption (normal operating is listed at 890mW). Manual is available online.
    What size battery bank are you charging? Sorry if I missed it, but I didn't see it.
    I have had one for a few months and I am very happy with it.
    510 watt pv, TS-MPPT 60, Exeltech XP1100, XP600 & XP250 @ 24V, 4x Trojan 105RE, Trimetric 2030, Yamaha EF2400i gen.