Can't find Absorb/Float Settings for Sam's Energizer batteries

Options
thebirdbath
thebirdbath Registered Users Posts: 3
I really need the proper absorb/float settings for the 6volt Energizer batteries they sell at Sam's. I'm using a setting I found for 6 volt batteries online but its not energizer specific and right now my Inverter is saying my input level is too high(blinking orange light)
Right now my batts are sitting on absorb (28.8 ).

My settings now are 28.8 absorb / 26.4 float / 31.2 EQ - Those seem high to me.

Here is my system:

24 volt.
8- 6 volt energizer golf cart batteries 208 AH
Midnight classic 150
Samlex 600watt puresine inverter
Battery Life Saver(BLS) Desulfator
4- 250 Watt Grape Solar Panels

USE: Powers 230 watts of submersible water pumps for an Aquaponics greenhouse.

I WOULD REALLY LOVE IT IF SOMEONE COULD FIND ME THE Absorb and Float and EQ specs for these batteries in 24 volt configuration.

Thanks!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Can't find Absorb/Float Settings for Sam's Energizer batteries

Welcome to the forum.

There's nothing wrong with your charging Voltages. Float Voltage could even go higher (up to 27.6). Your inverter should take up to 33 Volts, which will cover even the EQ cycle (do not do this automatically; only do it manually). The problem is probably temperature compensation pushing the actual Voltages a bit higher than normal. There's little that can be done about that except perhaps making sure the batteries aren't getting too cold. Even so it should not be exceeding the 33 Volt maximum. Have you measured the Voltage with a meter?

I see another possible problem though: eight 6 Volt 208 Amp hour batteries configured for 24 Volts means you've got 416 Amp hours total capacity. And only 1000 Watts of panel that might produce 32 Amps peak current. Meanwhile you've got 230 Watts of pumps and the inverter drawing which will take about 10 Amps out of that leaving 22 Amps or a very minimal 5% charge rate. This may be insufficient to keep these batteries healthy over the long haul.
  • thebirdbath
    Options

Ok thanks for the reassurance on the batts. Its in float now reading on my multimeter 26.3 with the Midnite reading 26.4.

As far as the other issue, what would you suggest in my place? I need the pumps to run 24/7 to keep the fish alive. I have a backup gen and samlex battery charger to top off the bank when needed. I'm also running a Battery Life Saver (BLS) /Desulfator on the bank.

Should I get more panels. What if I run the panels in parallel instead of series, won't that provide more amps? I'm very open to suggestions. Thanks!
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Let's break it down.

What is the Voltage at the DC input to the inverter when it's reporting over Voltage?

Disconnect the desulphator, as it could be sending pulses that make the inverter think the Voltage is too high. They have not been proven to be effective either.

Check that the wiring is like this:

PV ---> Charger Controller ---> Batteries ---> Inverter

Not like this:

PV ---> Charge Controller ---> Inverter ---> Batteries

Which can give a false high Voltage at the inverter input under certain conditions.

230 Watts of pumps running 24 hours a day will suck down 5,520 Watt hours which is an absolutely massive amount of power for an off-grid system. There is no chance the system specs you give can supply this. Here's why:

5,520 Watt hours AC converted to DC (inverter efficiency factor) is about 6,134. On 24 Volts that's 256 Amp hours, which is more than half of the 416 you have to work with. That means the batteries could easily be drawn below 50% SOC and that's not good. What is more you have only 1,000 Watts of array. Under best sun conditions that could provide 6kW hours DC, but when you factor in normal sun conditions and the need for most of the power to be put in to and taken out of batteries it's more like 2.6kW hours. Again another indication of deficit charging and inevitable premature battery failure.

This begs two questions: Have you measured the pump draw with a Kill-A-Watt meter? Are you sure that orange light doesn't indicate low Voltage?

If that power consumption figure is accurate; this system should be 48 Volts, have about 520 Amp hours of battery, and would need 3250 Watts of array.

Frankly I think you are going to have battery troubles very soon. Have you been checking the specific gravity to see if they actually do get fully charged?

And the question everyone will ask: why are you trying to supply so much power off-grid? If the utility power is available it will be far cheaper and much more practical.
  • thebirdbath
    Options

Wow, ok guess I will be using that backup gen more than I thought. Glad I have one. The light on the inverter is now green and not blinking orange anymore. Voltage is steady in float at 26.4 I will take your advice and raise the float to 27.6.

And yes, the system is wired like this:
    PV ---> Charger Controller ---> Batteries ---> Inverter

I didn't think 240 watts was a lot of power. Again, glad I have the back up gen.

We are very much off-grid. I live in the middle of nowwhere arkansas up in the mountains. My nearest neighbor is a mile away. Its 20 miles to the nearest gas station. (Cue banjo music). We have two houses (mine and my inlaws) on the property next to each other. We are not powering those. We live with no electric or running water. Kerosene lanters for light and composting toilets for sewer. We have 2 wells for water. So yeah, we are off-grid.

My only real concern is keeping my aquaponics powered. I don't have the money right now for more investment in array so I'm guessing my gen is going to be making up the difference. I would appreciate any other suggestions and thanks for taking the time out of your day to help.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

The most important thing you can invest in is the Kill-A-Watt to get an accurate measurement of the Watt hours those pumps use. That is key to avoiding having either too small or too large a system.

I used to do the whole off-grid with no power thing. Then I got old and put in enough electric power to run the place. Oddly enough my 232 Amp hours @ 24 Volts with 700 Watts of panel does everything I need, but then I don't need to power 230 Watts 24 hours a day! We don't use the place in Winter because that would be totally impractical up here. But it sure has changed from lake-access-only and no electric to an hour drive down the logging road. Moving 400 miles closer helped a lot too. :D
  • unyalli
    unyalli Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭
    Options

I believe this is it. Look over on the right under recommendation. They want Golf Carts to...

Bulk at 2.47 volts per cell. 2.47 * 6 = 14.82 with current at 10-15% of capacity.
    Float at 2.20 volts per cell 2.20 * 6 = 13.2.
    Equalize at 2.6 volts per cell 2.6 * 6 = 15.6.

Attachment not found.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    unyalli wrote: »
    I believe this is it. Look over on the right under recommendation. They want Golf Carts to...

Bulk at 2.47 volts per cell. 2.47 * 6 = 14.82 with current at 10-15% of capacity.
    Float at 2.20 volts per cell 2.20 * 6 = 13.2.
    Equalize at 2.6 volts per cell 2.6 * 6 = 15.6.

Unfortunately RE can not meet that constant Voltage Bulk charge spec.
    Part of the 'correct' charge profile for any battery is how to get the best results in the application.