Thermoil for FLA batteries

Options
Kentill
Kentill Registered Users Posts: 19
Cancel this post edit in error
6 - 150 Watt PV, 210Ah /24V FLA Battery Bank, 2-MN-Kid CC w/WBjr and 2-MNBTS, eu2000i, eu3000i,  Samlex 1000 Watt PSW, 1000 Watt MSW,    Linux user

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Thermoil for FLA batteries
    Kentill wrote: »
    New guy here but long time looker.
    Has anyone here used Thermoil? It is an oil to reduce water consumption and one seller of it is Staab battery.
    I have used Thermoil for four years now in my backup sump pump and have noticed that I don't have to add much water each year. I was wondering if any one has used Thermoil in a off Grid site.
    Kent

Edit: sorry, I see Vic back in 2007 did not think to much of Thermoil.

I use water miser battery caps to limit acid mist production. I reread the old thermoil thread... Whatever else I think of it, there is one very important reason I would not use it: fouling of my hydrometer.

Flooded lead acid batteries are not "set it and forget it", no matter what oils, battery caps, or battery monitors you use. Using an hydrometer is one of the most important things you can do to extend the life of your batteries.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Kentill
    Kentill Registered Users Posts: 19
    Options
    Re: Thermoil for FLA batteries
    vtmaps wrote: »
    I use water miser battery caps to limit acid mist production. I reread the old thermoil thread... Whatever else I think of it, there is one very important reason I would not use it: fouling of my hydrometer.

Flooded lead acid batteries are not "set it and forget it", no matter what oils, battery caps, or battery monitors you use. Using an hydrometer is one of the most important things you can do to extend the life of your batteries.

--vtMaps
    It looks like it makes good sense not to use for solar applications, but may be ok for backup pump batteries.
    Thanks for the response.
    6 - 150 Watt PV, 210Ah /24V FLA Battery Bank, 2-MN-Kid CC w/WBjr and 2-MNBTS, eu2000i, eu3000i,  Samlex 1000 Watt PSW, 1000 Watt MSW,    Linux user