50 Amp service

Options
I had my electrical inspector out yesterday to look at my off grid installation. He said by code I have to have a 50 amp serve to my electrical panel. 50 amps is a lot of power for any battery based system and seems impossible with a 12v system. Have any of you guys heard of a code requiring a 50 amp service and how are you getting around it? Maybe the inspector is wrong he did admit that he had never inspected a off grid installation before.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: 50 Amp service

Is he looking for the whole service panel (inlcuding a meter socket)?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-by-Schneider-Electric-Homeline-125-Amp-8-Space-16-Circuit-Combination-Service-Entrance-Device-RC816F125CH/100170105

Attachment not found.

Or just a sub-panel?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens-100-Amp-1-Phase-20-Circuit-20S-Main-Breaker-Load-Center-AL-Value-Pack-S2020B1100P/203027367?N=5yc1vZbm2w

Attachment not found.

If you can get him down to a $53 load center/sub-panel with breakers--Why not (if can even find any smaller/cheaper these days?).

There are a few people here that have full service entrances with empty meter sockets (cause a little confusion with inspectors and such)... But it is sometimes the easiest way to agreement.

Also, if there is ever any chance of getting utility power in your area (or perhaps, a future buyer)--It is cheap insurance to have a "service ready" installation for a $100 more in hardware...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Joe94
    Joe94 Solar Expert Posts: 42
    Options

I have a main breaker panel and he is okay with it and the installation. What he is concerned with is how I plan to supply 50 amps of power to the thing. I wired it for 120v with a 30amp main breaker and 10 gauge wire to the inverter and generator inlet. Neither generator or inverter can supply 50 amps nor am I aware of a 120 volt 50 amp inlet socket.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not saying he's right or wrong regarding regulations in your part of the world, but I can say he appears to have totally no understanding of off grid solar. :cry:
    Maybe if you can demonstrate to him that your battery bank is quite capable of supplying 50 amps @ 12 volts??? :D
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

This is the sort of problem that arises when people have no real knowledge of solar. Probably the code states a minimum 50 Amp AC grid service for the area, and he thinks that means your solar must be able to supply this.

You do not have to supply any 'minimum current' off-grid. The only requirement is that the wiring be adequate for the power supplied and it has proper circuit protection on it. 50 Amps @ 240 Volts is 12kW; very few off-grid systems are that large. Many are 120 VAC only.

If he continues to be a pain, put in the 50 Amp service. The inverter is going to fault before any breaker trips anyway.
  • Joe94
    Joe94 Solar Expert Posts: 42
    Options

I just thought I would post a follow up. I had my electrical inspector out again today and he signed off my rough in. In reguard to the 50 amp service he looked it up and said that the NEC states that a single family residence must have a 100 amp 3 wire service disconnect. So I guess there would be no requirement to have a 100amp service just cable and main breaker that can handle 100amps. He conceded that based on my load estimates I didn't need more then 30amps and let me slide. So I guess I'm legal now.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Awesome! He finally found a way to backtrack, at least a little bit, and save face. :D