Outback Flexmax 60 max wire size

Options
Just want to confirm, the documentation lists the maximum wire size as #2 AWG - is that still true? I have a long run from the panels and am looking at using #0. Thanks.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Outback Flexmax 60 max wire size
    Brewgonia wrote: »
    Just want to confirm, the documentation lists the maximum wire size as #2 AWG - is that still true? I have a long run from the panels and am looking at using #0. Thanks.

How long is the wire run and how have you got the array configured? That is extremely large wire for a controller input.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just checked the FM 60/80 Manual, and, indeed it does specify #2 AWG maximum wire size.

However, almost all of us use a circuit breaker on the input and output of these CCs. So, you could make the transition from #0 to the smaller #2 at that point. This, of course does depend upon the maximum gauge the CB would accept, if it does not have studs for lugs on that cable.
    YMMV, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Brewgonia
    Brewgonia Solar Expert Posts: 31
    Options

The distance from the panel array to the charge controller will be 90-100'. I plan on that array starting out at 1000w, it may stay that way forever but if I can I would like to eventually double/triple the capacity.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Brewgonia wrote: »
    The distance from the panel array to the charge controller will be 90-100'. I plan on that array starting out at 1000w, it may stay that way forever but if I can I would like to eventually double/triple the capacity.

1000 Watts @ 35 Vmp is 29 Amps so I can see where you'd get 2 AWG wire requirement across 100 feet. If you can configure the array for 48 Volts you could do it with 4 AWG. The controller efficiency difference between the two is negligible.

Otherwise as Vic said so long as you're using the large wire to reduce V-drop and not to carry current you can transition to short, smaller gauge 'pigtail' wires to make the final connection and the PV disconnect is the ideal place to make the change.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

90ft isnt a heck of a far. Whats your math on that cable?

But 0 guage is like 20 bucks a meter, so thats gona set you back about $1500. You will usually be better off cost wise sacrificing a few watts on a smaller cable (eg 4awg).
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• Cariboocoot
    Options
    zoneblue wrote: »
    90ft isnt a heck of a far. Whats your math on that cable?

But 0 guage is like 20 bucks a meter, so thats gona set you back about $1500. You will usually be better off cost wise sacrificing a few watts on a smaller cable (eg 4awg).

Always remember prices are region-dependent.