Help me make wise decisions - First timer

1235»

Comments

• esteban
    esteban Solar Expert Posts: 66 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Help me make wise decisions - First timer
    And now we talk about the difference between ESG (Electrical Safety Ground) and lightning protection.

First of all, the system doesn't need any kind of ground to function. Ground is for safety reasons. It is not for lightning protection either; that is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

The idea of the ESG is two fold: it makes half of the wiring zero Voltage potential in respect to ground (very important on higher Voltages which are generally deemed as >60) and it provides a high current sink should anything short out to an external conductor (such as a metal casing). The former is so that anyone touching something can't become a "lower resistance path" for the Voltage and get a shock; the latter is so that if the 'hot' comes in contact with something that shouldn't be energized the circuit over-current protection will trip and shut down power.

In most cases DC doesn't have to follow these rules because it is low Voltage and doesn't provide much of a hazard to begin with. The biggest trouble with DC is its ability to sustain an arc if over 15 Volts (this is why most vehicle systems are limited to 12 Volts; more efficient than 6 without presenting the arc problems of 24). But when you put DC in a house it now has to follow the same rules as AC (even though in some cases that makes things worse). So we ground the negative (or not) and make it safer than if we didn't.

For AC tying one side (or technically the middle for split-phase 240) to Earth ground provides a couple of benefits, the main one being the zero Voltage potential for an alternate path (such as a person) to ground for one side. Then if something shorts you need only trip a single pole breaker to shut off power. When 240 is used you'll notice the breaker is double pole and tied so both side shut down at the same time (that way one wire isn't still 'live' in respect to ground).

Now about that lightning. Nothing in this world is capable of providing protection against a direct hit. Millions of Volts; it can turn any metal into slag, vaporize trees, and blow rocks into gravel. But there is something that happens in a lightning strike area that can be protected against: the air around the bolt becomes saturated with high Voltage, high frequency power. Any kind of conductor can pick this up and carry it to equipment that is not going to like being introduces to several thousand times the Voltage it was meant to operate at.

Ground the panel frames and most of that stray Voltage is led away instead of led in (which is why we like the ground wire for this outside the house). Put a surge arrestor on the PV leads and the high Voltage spikes jump across that to ground, nullifying them (up to a limit) before they can hit the charge controller or GTI. Same with the AC wiring, which can present a fairly large 'antenna' for picking it up.

Even then nothing is perfect. Lightning strikes are unpredictable, and will sometimes hit things you'd never expect them to be attracted to. You can't protect against every eventuality (although some people are obsessed with the idea that you can and keep insisting the "government do something") but you can determine what is most likely to happen and take reasonable measures to reduce the risk/damage.

BTW the ground lug on the inverter is probably not connected to negative; only to the case.

Sooooo in short and simple terms, with my relatively basic setup you'd do what with the grounding???

Also the inverter case is what I was talking about, its just a simple ground looking post, no documentation as to where it should go??

Looks just like this:

Attachment not found.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    esteban wrote: »
    Sooooo in short and simple terms, with my relatively basic setup you'd do what with the grounding???

Permanent install: ground it.
    Non-permanent install: don't ground it.
    Sounds strange, but as a non-permanent install it counts as a mobile application like an RV.
    The only caveat I'd make there is to ground the inverter & its AC output (probably connected together). Do not tie it to the main house wiring otherwise.
    Also the inverter case is what I was talking about, its just a simple ground looking post, no documentation as to where it should go??

Looks just like this:

Attachment not found.

Yes; that's the lug for 6 AWG to go to the grounding rod. With inverters that have outlets the neutral should be connected to the chassis internally. But it may not be. It should say in the manual. But it may not. Helpful, eh? :p
  • esteban
    Permanent install: ground it.
    Non-permanent install: don't ground it.
    Sounds strange, but as a non-permanent install it counts as a mobile application like an RV.
    The only caveat I'd make there is to ground the inverter & its AC output (probably connected together). Do not tie it to the main house wiring otherwise.

Yes; that's the lug for 6 AWG to go to the grounding rod. With inverters that have outlets the neutral should be connected to the chassis internally. But it may not be. It should say in the manual. But it may not. Helpful, eh? :p

So is this interpretation correct:

It is going to be mounted at my house, thus "permanent"

Drive large ground rod just outside my garage (assuming this is where it gets installed)

Connect 4 gauge wire from battery ground to above ground rod, also connect 4awg wire from inverter chassis ground to above ground rod

Done and done?

With the above setup I'll likely just plug things into the inverter directly, but if I were to have some sort of sub panel would I be safe to send power from the inverters gfci output into the house wiring? I assume so, as all I would REALLY be doing is adding an additional path to ground right?
  • Cariboocoot
    So is this interpretation correct:

It is going to be mounted at my house, thus "permanent"

Drive large ground rod just outside my garage (assuming this is where it gets installed)

Connect 4 gauge wire from battery ground to above ground rod, also connect 4awg wire from inverter chassis ground to above ground rod

Done and done?

With the above setup I'll likely just plug things into the inverter directly, but if I were to have some sort of sub panel would I be safe to send power from the inverters gfci output into the house wiring? I assume so, as all I would REALLY be doing is adding an additional path to ground right?

Aside from also grounding the panel frames/mounts (to the same rod) and making certain there is no connection between the AC output of the inverter and the AC system of the home; they should be considered two separate power systems. That "additional path to ground" can be a troublemaker. If you have a separate ground rod for each and then make some other kind of connection you run the risk of creating a ground loop. Alternately use the same ground rod as the household system (if accessible) and make sure there is only one N-G bond. This will be difficult because there will be one in your main service panel and also likely one inside the inverter itself.

If there is a particular circuit you want to power from this in the even of an outage you can devise a transfer switch for it, allowing it to be connected either to the main panel or the inverter. In that case all three wires need to be switch from one to the other power source.
  • esteban

So as long as I power it directly from the inverter my above grounding is a solid plan?
  • Cariboocoot
    So as long as I power it directly from the inverter my above grounding is a solid plan?

Yes. You get in trouble when there's "too many" connections between the two power sources.
  • Coger
    Coger Registered Users Posts: 3

BB, from a news guys perspective that was an EXCELLANT explanation!
  • esteban

So I had my kill a watt plugged in to something today, a propane space heater...

Read 125 watts, 1.6 or 1.8 amps..... Can anyone explain that??????
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin

My guess--Power Factor of the AC Induction motor (has a fan in the heater?).

We tend to think of the power equation as:
    • Power = Voltage * Current

Or
    • Power/Voltage=Current=125 watts/120 VAC = 1.04 Amps AC

And for some AC devices it is... Others though have AC Current Wave Forms that are not in 100% alignment with the AC wave form.

If you remember Vectors from high school, one of the "Real" power equations is:
    • Power = Voltage * Current * Cos phase angle between voltage and current

To figure out the phase angle, one way would be:
    • 1.04 amps AC ('real' portion of current) / 1.7 amps AC (vector) = 0.61 "Power Factor"
    • Power Factor = Cos (phase angle)
    • Cos-1 (PF) = phase angle = Cos-1 (0.61) = 52 degrees ("lagging current" for a motor)

We can get into more details... But more or less, the wiring/transformers/inverters/generators "care" about the 1.7 amps (total current).

But the 125 watts / 1.04 amps is what converts over to the power used from the battery bank...

Think of pulling on a rope. If you stand in front of the car and pull forward, 100% of the force goes into moving the car forward.

Cos 0 degrees = 1.0 = 100%

Stand "52 degrees" to one side, you need more force on the rope (stronger rope) but the car only sees the Cos (angle) pulling forward.

Cos (52 degrees) = 0.61

So, 61% of the force on the rope is pulling the car forward. The rope has to be 1/0.61 stronger because you are standing off to the side.

-Bill "short answer/guess" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • esteban

I guess I should have been more clear, it was just a forced air propane heater like this:

Attachment not found.

Plugged into grid power, just in the garage. Plugged right into the wall, with a "kill-a-watt". Only electric parts of the heater are the fan and the 'spark plug' that runs the whole time.

I guess I just assumed that a 120v device would use 1 amp at 120 watts... not 1.8 amps, I was doing this test to see how much power that heater would draw to heat a room in an emergency and was left dumbfounded when the numbers were so far off... In my ultra weak electrical view, it is either drawing 125 watts as it says, or it is drawing 216 watts (1.8x120)

Am I missing something??
  • BB.

The induction motor (and sometimes other components) in your forced air heater do not draw AC power like you would guess.

This is a high level definition of Power Factor:

http://www.oru.com/energyandsafety/electricdelivery/powerfactor/

Here is an article that discusses Power Factor fairly deeply:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor

The math behind AC (alternating current) circuits gets very complex very quickly.

The numbers for for Real Power (Watts) and Apparent Power (VA or Volts*Amps without the Cos (phase angle)) are important in AC power system design.

Induction Motors by design have "less than perfect" power factor. They draw more current than one would expect from the actual "measured power" used. Because of this, you have to design the wiring and AC inverter to manage the "VA" (Volt Amp) of the load.

A "Good" power factor is >~95%. A "Bad" power factor can be ~70% to 50% or even worse (AC Induction Motors generally have "not great" PF; LED and CFL lighting many times have very poor PF).

There are ways to "correct power factor". Sometimes PF can be "fixed" by the consumer (adding motor run capacitors to induction motors)--And sometimes they cannot be "fixed" (LED, CFL, some electronic power supplies have "non-linear" power factor and adding a capacitor cannot "correct" the PF).

Remember the basic equation for power is:

Watts = Volts * Amps for DC circuits (sort of)
    Watts = Volts * Amps * Cos (phase angle) = Volts * Amps * PF for AC circuits (again, sort of)

We can go into more detail and/or try another analogy... This is not a "simple" concept--But at the some time, I do not want to frustrate you either.

It is important to understand because the sizing of your wiring/fuses/circuit breakers/AC inverter/Backup AC generator/etc. are dependent on the Power Factor of your loads. As we run more electronics and LED/CFL lighting (and many induction motor devices), the importance of the Watts vs VA becomes even more important in the design.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot

Or why I'm constantly going on at people about actually measuring their loads rather than calculating them based on information supplied by manufacturers.
  • esteban

So I'm starting to think I may just want to go with 48v from the start, I'd probably move up to a 2-3k watt inverter and a sub panel on the house. My question is then do I really need to change anything to accommodate the 48v? I notice my Blue Sea terminal fuses say 58v max, is that an indication that they can't handle the 60v a 48v system can see?

Just thinking it may behoove me to do it once and leave it at that.

I don't recall, at what point do I need to go above the 4awg wire? I'd rather make the jump to 2 or even 0 now rather than rewire it later etc.

Thanks for all the ongoing help!
  • Cariboocoot
    So I'm starting to think I may just want to go with 48v from the start, I'd probably move up to a 2-3k watt inverter and a sub panel on the house. My question is then do I really need to change anything to accommodate the 48v? I notice my Blue Sea terminal fuses say 58v max, is that an indication that they can't handle the 60v a 48v system can see?

Just thinking it may behoove me to do it once and leave it at that.

I don't recall, at what point do I need to go above the 4awg wire? I'd rather make the jump to 2 or even 0 now rather than rewire it later etc.

Thanks for all the ongoing help!

Yes, that is the downside to 48 Volt systems: getting circuit protection and disconnects that can handle the higher Voltage. The Blue Sea fuses will not safely interrupt >58 Volts.

As for the wire gauge that depends on two things: it has to be able to handle the expected maximum continuous current and it need to be larger enough to keep Voltage drop to a minimum over the distance involved. Happily both of these factors become less of a problem as the Voltage increases. This is one of the reasons for going to higher Voltage; same power at less current = less loss.
  • esteban

I ordered the "big baby" box and associated hardware for my combiner, went ahead and got (4) 10 amp breakers, they say they are rated at 150v so I think I'd be fine there. What fuses would you use on a 48v system?

Would I be better off staying at 24v and just going to a larger inverter and more or larger batteries, again assuming I use the (8 ) 175w panels?

edit: Now that I say that, I can't really do 8 panels at 24v, or I'd need to change my charge controller.... Shoot!

I guess now I'm stuck asking what fuses to use?
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Correct. They can't handle it safely.

I've totally lost track of this thread and your system. Can you summarize where were at?

Generally, as you raise system voltage you can get more power through a given size wire... therefore you may not need to upgrade the wiring. You may need to reconfigure your solar array to provide a higher Vmp.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • esteban
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Correct. They can't handle it safely.

I've totally lost track of this thread and your system. Can you summarize where were at?

Generally, as you raise system voltage you can get more power through a given size wire... therefore you may not need to upgrade the wiring. You may need to reconfigure your solar array to provide a higher Vmp.

--vtMaps

I already have 8 175w panels, I was planning to use 4 and do a 24v system with 4 gc2 batteries. I was later going to add the other 4 panels and 4 more batteries and go to 48v.

This is all going through the new Midnite KID controller.

I'm now thinking I may just want to start at 48v and skip the smaller system in general. That being said I HAVE to go 48v, because of the 30 amp max of the KID.

I picked up 25 feet of 4awg wire, it was cheap so I'm not too worried about upgrading it now if the necessity exists.

It sounds to me like the only thing I'm missing to go to a 48v system is proper fusing, so now I'm wondering what fuse I'd need on my batteries to accomplish safe 48v circuitry
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds to me like the only thing I'm missing to go to a 48v system is proper fusing, so now I'm wondering what fuse I'd need on my batteries to accomplish safe 48v circuitry

Where are you planning to put the fuses? (do you have an electrical box?) Have you considered circuit breakers instead of fuses? Your inverter will come with instructions for cable and circuit breaker size. The kid also has instructions for cable and breaker size.
    esteban wrote:
    I ordered the "big baby" box and associated hardware for my combiner, went ahead and got (4) 10 amp breakers

Why would you do that? I would think that Midnite's combiner boxes would be a better choice. Also, their combiners are rated for outdoor use.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot

Note the breakers at the bottom of this page: http://www.solar-electric.com/infubr.html
    125 to 250 Amp up to 125 VDC.

As I said, the downside of 48 Volt systems.
  • esteban
    Note the breakers at the bottom of this page: http://www.solar-electric.com/infubr.html
    125 to 250 Amp up to 125 VDC.

As I said, the downside of 48 Volt systems.

Ok so this morning I called and spoke with a woman at Midnite Solar, and I've got to say hands down she was excellent, knew the product line well and was extremely helpful. We actually spoke for an hour. She confirmed that the 3x3 setup would work with the KID, however it would go into VOC at 10F etc.

We then got to talking about all the "wasted" power I'll be making, which is very true, until now it has been a 'science project' of sorts.

New plan, or as of now it sounds like the plan (input greatly appreciated) is to buy this system, or something very similar:

Please forgive the link to a competitor, I literally could not find a link to one on Wind/Sun, please replace if you know where to find it

http://www.altestore.com/store/Inverter-Power-Panels/Midnite-Solar-Power-Panels/Midnite-Solar-MNXW6048-CL150-Pre-Wired-System/p10842/

I would change the Classic 150 to a 200, then run my panels in 3x3, and never worry about hitting over voltage. 1575 watts and upwards of 5 sun hours a day is what I'm told. In the summer I'm sure I have a pretty fair amount of sun. This means 6kw+ daily power being made and the ability to sell it all to the utility, then size a bank accordingly to what I want to back up with, and power whatever I feel are the critical loads in the house etc. Even allows me to hook up something like a honda inverter generator in the event of a long term outage to help keep the batteries charged.

To me this seems to accomplish all of my goals, I get to make power, I get to use the power I make, and I get to have battery backup "in case". Granted its not over the top cheap, it does come with a 30% tax credit thus dropping the cost. To be honest it doesn't seem all THAT much more expensive than what I'd end up building and staying with an off grid system. Sure its another 5 grand, but then my energy will be put to use. Am I on the right track?????
  • BB.

One thing to double check--The 30% Federal Tax Credit is due to expire soon (currently Dec 2016)--Make sure you can use the entire tax credit before it expires (you can only carry it through the next 1-2 years--Not my area of expertise).

If it rolls over beyond the 2016 tax year, I believe you will lose it.

-Bill