pelton wheel

mmag
mmag Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭✭
hello, does anyone have any experience with this company? http://powerspout.com/ they have some good looking products and a great hydro advanced calculator, im looking into the pelton wheel version, and was hoping some people had info on their product or any other pelton wheels.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Re: pelton wheel

Try sending a PM to member "mtdoc" (he has not been around for a month or so):

http://forum.solar-electric.com/member.php?11019-mtdoc

His signature says he has one to install:
    Array 1: Sanyo HIT225 X 8 on Wattsun tracker. Array 2: Evergreen ES-E-225 X 12 on shed roof. Midnite e-panel with Outback GVFX3648, FNDC and Classic 150 X 2. 436 AH AGMs. Honda eu2000i X 2. Outback PSX-240 autotransformer. Remote monitoring and control with HP netbook running UltraVNC, Wattplot, Midnite local app and Cumulus weather station software. Waiting to be installed: PowerSpout ME120 microhydro turbine and 3rd Midnite Classic 150.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

I watched the video & then looked for the "FREE" manual download to do more in-depth reading .Looks like they want alot of info from me before I get any answers. Washers drilled as fasteners & such , never saw any real NON CGI stuff. Tread slowly !!!

I have seen many Pelton sellers on the flea-bay site , plus many with permanent magnet generators etc, lots of reading ahead. My problem is that my stream is 150' down below me .
    VT
  • mmag

Non CGI? Im not sure wat that is? I have seen pelton wheels that work, its about having alot of head, or having alot of flow both require some if each, the reason I was interested in this site was the calculator tells you what size wire to use according to length and voltage, and what size pipe to use, it sort of takes the mystery out of it, i have seen powerspout products at some RE stores I will have to see what they say about them, I will pm mtdoc if he doesn't chime In sometime.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Peltons require a lot of head (pressure) to operate. There are other types, not pelton, that operate on heads as low as 3 feet, but require relatively huge flow rates. But it seems strange there's little or nothing available for more in-between heads and flow rates. I ended up building my own Banki (cross flow) turbine to work with my flow rate and head of 12 feet.
    BTW, have read about some of the "off shore" powerspout and similar types that have serious reliability issues with bearings not standing up to the high revs and wet conditions they live in. Built to sell, not to last.
    Investigate reliability before you buy.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭

The guy that makes those lives about not far from us. Those things are well built, and theres thousands of them runnning all round here, and overseas. The US is his biggest market.

Their main claim to fame is that they use the rotor and bearing from a washing machine, and the washing machines (fisher and pykel) and themselves pretty robust units that pretty much never need any kind of work on the motors or running gear during their 20 year laundry life. The permanent magnet motor generator works unusually well at low RPM.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• CDN_VT
    mmag wrote: »
    Non CGI? Im not sure wat that is?

Computer generated images !!

You can make your own here ;) : http://youtu.be/gUmDvENKPig

I'd love to have a stream , But being on the top of a hill ?
    VT
  • mmag
    zoneblue wrote: »
    The guy that makes those lives about not far from us. Those things are well built, and theres thousands of them runnning all round here, and overseas. The US is his biggest market.

Their main claim to fame is that they use the rotor and bearing from a washing machine, and the washing machines (fisher and pykel) and themselves pretty robust units that pretty much never need any kind of work on the motors or running gear during their 20 year laundry life. The permanent magnet motor generator works unusually well at low RPM.
    zoneblue, have you seen any of these powerspouts going? they seem to be a nice product, and i wondered where they were made, it is nice they have high voltage units for long wire runs or grid tie, im not going to go buy one tomorrow but i am looking into the possibilities,
    CDN_VT, i saw alot of images of nicely installed hydros on their website that were not computer generated, is it 150' to your stream or 150 of drop?
  • CDN_VT
    mmag wrote: »
    CDN_VT, i saw alot of images of nicely installed hydros on their website that were not computer generated, is it 150' to your stream or 150 of drop?

My 150 foot is down , Underground , aqua flow
    Went digging deeper & found more info .

VT