New Radian GS8048, no button, no leds, needs 2 breakers, got 2+ve terminals???

frank.thomson
frank.thomson Registered Users Posts: 15
Reviewing the manual before buying.
http://legacy.outbackpower.com/docman/2111124040612GS8048OperatorManual.pdf

I see that the Mate3 is said to be optional but the inverter has no ON/OFF button on the front, let alone any display or LEDs, how can one use it without it :confused:

And need to have 2 DC breakers :confused: and two +ve and two -ve terminals on 1 single inverte.. can'r remember I saw anything like this before..

Surprised at few details, thought it was newer of the XWs and SMAs of the world, but not sure if this is how new generation of inverters are supposed to be... I always wished for inverters to be simple and robust, but not that simple without a few LEDs or On/Off buttons on 'em... LOL

Guys, if you have any experience with this new ones, please share..

-Frank

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: New Radian GS8048, no button, no leds, needs 2 breakers, got 2+ve terminals???

Welcome to the forum Frank. I'm sure others will offer input, but meanwhile here is some food for thought.
    "The Radian inverter/charger has no external controls. It can operate normally without an external
    control or interface. Basic modes and settings are pre-programmed at the factory.
    The Radian inverter has no display or LED indicators. It is not possible to monitor its
    status or operating mode without a metering device.
    The MATE3 System Display and Controller (sold separately) is an OutBack product designed to
    accommodate programming and monitoring of an OutBack power system. The MATE3 provides the
    means to adjust the factory default settings to correctly match the installation where needed. It also
    provides the means to monitor system performance and troubleshoot fault or shutdown conditions.
    Once settings are modified using a MATE3, the MATE3 can be removed from the installation. The
    settings are stored in the non-volatile memory of the Radian. However, it is highly recommended to
    include a MATE3 as part of the system. This provides the means to monitor system performance and
    respond quickly should it be necessary to correct a fault or shutdown condition."
    Sounds like external control is only available through the optional MATE3. Otherwise it's all factory set, just connect power and it goes.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: New Radian GS8048, no button, no leds, needs 2 breakers, got 2+ve terminals???
    I see that the Mate3 is said to be optional but the inverter has no ON/OFF button on the front, let alone any display or LEDs, how can one use it without it :confused:

The Mate is NOT optional, you NEED one.

There are very good reasons why the controls are not built into the inverter. Those inverters can be stacked. If you had four stacked inverters you wouldn't want to buy four sets of built-in controls.

Not having built-in controls means you have remote control. My inverter is out in the detached garage and I am very happy that my Mate is in the house and that I can control the inverter from my house. I would be less happy if I had to spend the money on built-in controls plus remote controls.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Without the MATE3 the on/off of the Radian is the DC disconnect.

Get the MATE3. As nice as Outback inverters are, their default programmed values leave much to be desired.
  • pechan
    pechan Solar Expert Posts: 92 ✭✭

The radian has a contact inside for wiring an on-off switch.
  • frank.thomson

Guys, thank you for all replies.

It seems like a Mate3 is needed. The idea of dual inverter module is intriguing. Not sure how to think about them, like a 2-cyclinder engine instead of classic 1-cylinder, a couple more questions:

1) Is this like 2xVFX in one box, I see it in youtube videos people saying it but really is it what this is?
    2) If one inverter fails or has a fault or DC breaker is turned-off, do you still get a 120/240 or just 120 on
    3) Is this like a master-slave, i.e. if load increases above a limit than both inverters are running else only a single one
    4) Why use two separate DC breakers, what happens if we bind the 2 +Ve terminals and use a single 250A breaker instead of binding them at the battery-terminals

May be one can't expect to get all answers from the manual, should plan to attend a training, but the next available is April 10 a long wait.

-Frank
    pechan wrote: »
    The radian has a contact inside for wiring an on-off switch.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Guys, thank you for all replies.

It seems like a Mate3 is needed. The idea of dual inverter module is intriguing. Not sure how to think about them, like a 2-cyclinder engine instead of classic 1-cylinder, a couple more questions:

1) Is this like 2xVFX in one box, I see it in youtube videos people saying it but really is it what this is?

It is "like" four GVFX's in one box in that it outputs 8kW and 240 VAC, but in reality it is quite different inside. Functionally it's more like two 240 VAC 4kW inverters stacked.
    2) If one inverter fails or has a fault or DC breaker is turned-off, do you still get a 120/240 or just 120 on

You get 240 VAC but at half power.
    3) Is this like a master-slave, i.e. if load increases above a limit than both inverters are running else only a single one

It operates as a single inverter as all the power stages are controlled by one 'brain'. I'm not sure there's any power savings at half output as there would be with stack FX's (where the slave unit would be in standby mode until needed).
    4) Why use two separate DC breakers, what happens if we bind the 2 +Ve terminals and use a single 250A breaker instead of binding them at the battery-terminals

Well for one think it counts as an improper installation and voids the warranty. For another the amount of current needed for 8kW on 48 Volts is 167+ Amps.
    May be one can't expect to get all answers from the manual, should plan to attend a training, but the next available is April 10 a long wait.

-Frank

I'm sure Outback would be glad to answer any questions you have in more specific detail. They also have a pretty good web site of info, including installation manuals.

As far as the forum goes, the Radian is a new device and you can count the number of users so far on one hand. I haven't heard any feedback yet from people who have actually got one.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Frank,

I know nothing about the OB Radian Inverters. But, the Outback Power Forum has a Radian Topic, and a number of members on that Forum have them. While the OB Forum does not get the high volume traffic of this site, it might be worth reading some posts there, and perhaps registering and asking your own questions:
    http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=40&sid=f0c9596bb0e53f8260ae36fdd763adec

FWIW, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • frank.thomson

Thanks Vic. Appreciate you directing me to the link. Its a good resource to get answers to few questions I had. And also to what issues others have observed.

-Frank
    Vic wrote: »
    Hi Frank,

I know nothing about the OB Radian Inverters. But, the Outback Power Forum has a Radian Topic, and a number of members on that Forum have them. While the OB Forum does not get the high volume traffic of this site, it might be worth reading some posts there, and perhaps registering and asking your own questions:
    http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=40&sid=f0c9596bb0e53f8260ae36fdd763adec

FWIW, Vic
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

It is actually 2 FX inverters in the box. The design team made the decision to use the same FET boards etc so they would be interchangeable. They are getting the 8KW by blowing more air across the boards.