Update Tristar MPPT Firmware ERROR - Now unit dead

Hi All
Wonder if anyone can help me out here.

I noticed that there were new firmware updates for the Morningstar Tristar 60A MPPT controller so thought I would update the controller (Hindsight is a wonderful thing!!)

when I started the updater program it told me to power the controller down before proceeding, So as the unit is in my workshop I ran up and powered it down, Back at the PC the update file was selected, and next selected, It then told me to power the controller ON, another run up the garden and back to the PC, all looked fine with a message "Update In Progress" or something along those lines, and then at about 60% an error appeared with a message to say the update could not be completed.

As a consequence I now have no Ethernet or RS232 connectivity, If the power is cycled, rather than the LED's stepping through Green, Amber, Red, it just goes from Green to Amber and if the Array is switched back on there is no output to the batteries.

Does anyone know if there is a way to restore the factory default settings back to my 5 kilo Brick, or is it a return to base jobby?

Thanks In Advance

Comments

• Mustang65
    Mustang65 Solar Expert Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Re: Update Tristar MPPT Firmware ERROR - Now unit dead

MorningStar sent me this message when I had an issue with connecting...

Restoring Factory settings can be accomplished with the Setup Wizard in MSView. Open the Wizard and Create a new config file. However, simply click "Next" through all of wizard screen; make no changes to any of the default values. When the Wizard is complete, Program the TS-MPPT with the new config file containing all of the factory default settings.

Don
  • Kentsun
    Kentsun Registered Users Posts: 11
    Mustang65 wrote: »
    MorningStar sent me this message when I had an issue with connecting...

Restoring Factory settings can be accomplished with the Setup Wizard in MSView. Open the Wizard and Create a new config file. However, simply click "Next" through all of wizard screen; make no changes to any of the default values. When the Wizard is complete, Program the TS-MPPT with the new config file containing all of the factory default settings.

Don

SORTED !!, But Thanks for your reply.

The problem I had was that it had knocked out the Ethernet Connection (No Green or Amber LED's on the RJ-45 Port) and the RS-232 adaptor failed to see anything connected, I really thought it was screwed.

As a last ditch attempt, I Hauled it out of the workshop and brought it indoors, My PC doesn't have a RS-232 port on the outside, but does have the provision for one on the Motherboard, so after a good rummage through all of my PC bits and bobs I've amassed over the years I found an IDC Connector with a Male DB9 Connector on the other end, so was able to cobble together a temporary Port, and luckily it worked, I installed both firmware updates and now everything seems to be working again, Phew, I really wasn't looking forward to sending it back, especially as I've had it less than a week !!

Now to work out some custom settings to suit my Trojan T-105 batteries !!
  • DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭

I am a little curious .. you've have the Tristar for less than a week, and you have to update the firmware? I looked on the support site and the latest versions I see are which are in the unit I purchased last year :

TriStar MPPT Processor A Firmware Update version-12 Oct 15, 2012
    TriStar MPPT Processor B Firmware Update version 5.19 Jun 23, 2010

Did you get access to a more recent build?
  • Kentsun
    Kentsun Registered Users Posts: 11

Yes, I wasn't sure if that particular firmware had been loaded to the controller by the factory, so it was just an attempt to make sure all was up to date with the latest issues.

The updates are of the same dates as you mention.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

I installed mine right out of the box roughly 4 years ago and have never had any problems with it whatever. Works perfect for me. At least so far.
    Same with the one at my cousin's camp in the back woods, installed 3 years ago out of the box with no problems at all.
  • Moussi
    Moussi Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi
    I did have a similar probleme and it was fixed, I found that the the USB to RS232 adapter was not workink properly so I went to my old PC with an RS232 output , it was straght forward
    using the TS_Update_v151.zip file downloaded from the factory site. just disconnect your TS60 and power it up with a a 12V car battery. connnect it to your PC through a series RS232 cable and retry............. good Luck
  • bollydog
    bollydog Registered Users Posts: 2
    I have had the exact same problems with TS MPPT 60 straight out of the box. Checked the firmware versions with MS view on Ethernet which worked ok and then went to load the latest A firmware with the serial cable & MS Load. Same result as Don. Failed halfway through.

On subsequent power up Led  went green and then steady yellow. Ethernet yellow blinked at the same time and then all dead. Sam as Don.

Saw this method here to reset but no go for me. Checked the com port settings, tried two different laptops. Created a default settings file for MS View to use in the wizard but no communication with the controller. Message on MS view said something like "no response from the controller to Modbus request".

Awaiting response from Morningstar. We are a long way down here @ the bottom of the world [New Zealand] to ship the brick back!

Anyone with further experience of this.
  • bollydog
    bollydog Registered Users Posts: 2
    Now solved;
    From Morningstar
    "Also please make sure you do not have MSView open at the time you try this."
    I had only MSLoad open after a PC restart and all good with firmware upgrade.
    I hope this helps someone similarly affected.