Satellite dish pole-top adjustable mount for PV panels

Has anyone tried using a salvaged pole-top adjustable mount from a residential satellite dish for PV panels? You know, the ones used by DirecTv, Dish Network, etc. there's got to be plenty around, even at the scrap yard. I know new they're pretty pricey. Would also be curious as to the load they can handle.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Satellite dish pole-top adjustable mount for PV panels

How big of panels/array?

A couple 100 watt panels maybe... But not much bigger.

There are C-Band dishes still around--I believe some folks have converted those to hole a fair sized solar array.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SolInvictus
    SolInvictus Solar Expert Posts: 138

The poles for dishes used for Internet access via satellite are stronger than the ones for satellite TV dishes because they must be more stable for transmitting a signal. Some of them are 2 inch, schedule 40 galvanized steel pipe with 2 3/8 inch outer diameter.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Attachment not found.

4 x 185 watt panels. The actuator arm is 36v, but run it at 12v. Slow but effective. Sensing by Analogue Guy unit. Previously used Redrock, but prefer AG.

Ralph
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Is this the correct website?

www.theanalogguy.com

Always nice to hear about companies/products that work well for folks.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Ralph Day

Yes Bill, that's the site.

The only problem with both sensors I've had is their tendancy to aim for the brightest spot...and it's the snow in the clear field to the west. Of course, that's where the light is best, just not where the sun necessarily is at the time. Mostly happens when the field it covered in snow and there's thin cloud cover. Remember the joke about the drunk looking for his house keys under the streetlight?...because he could see there, too dark elsewhere.

Ralph

ralph
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

Where do you get the 12 volt to run the actuator? I had thought of using an analog satellite receiver that has timers to move the dish. I already have a mount like picture and a couple horizon to horizon bird view dishs I could use. The bird view dishs are built like a tank. Solarvic
  • Ralph Day

I have a 48 to 12 volt converter running off the bank. It supplies 12 v to the actuator/sensor and 12 volts to my computer desk for any 12 v applications in the house. The sensor is actually built to run at 48 volts, but I burned out an actuator motor. Asked the Analogue guy if it would operate at 12v and he said it would, and it does. I used to just move it manually...had a 24v power supply to do that. 3 switches, one to operate, 2 to decide the polarity for east or west. I'm glad I found sensor/drivers that work.

Astron is the brand name of the 48 to 12 converter. An electronics or lift truck shop should be able to find one for you.

Ralph