Help in providing power inlets

jensent
jensent Registered Users Posts: 3
Need to construct weatherproof power inlets to link an old Coleman 3000/3750 generator to two dedicated circuits for two sump pumps. Generator has two 25A female outlets similar to NEMA #5-20R, 20A, 1-120 VAC as on the Honda EU2000i. Will not be connecting to existing house circuits. Generator does not have a twist-lock outlet. Hope someone can help.
Thanks
Tom

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Help in providing power inlets

Welcome to the forum Tom.

Let's see if we understand what you're after. You've got a Coleman 3kW generator with outlets on it and you want to run power from that to another location which will be weather-exposed?

In that case most of it would be standard, off-the-shelf wiring: weather-tight exterior outlets & boxes, then either conduit or outdoor cord to plugs for the gen. The only other thing I can think of is to make sure the gen is actually Earth grounded (probably a lug on the frame; needs to go to a rod deep in the ground) and use GFCI outlets to avoid shock hazard.

If this is not what you're asking after by all means provide as much detail as you can.
  • rgk1
    rgk1 Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

I have 2 (1-15amp and 1-20amp) inlet boxes mounted to the outside wall of my home. The 15 amp runs a dedicated circuit in the bedroom and the 20amp a dedicated circuit in the kitchen. I had the luxury of having sheetrock down during a remodel and ran the wiring in the walls. It's just like regular home wiring and outlets on the wall, but instead of going to the breaker panel, they go to the inlet boxes outside.

It's like having an extension cord, but no open windows or cords in the house. You could do it that way, but probably a bit more difficult without exposed framing.
    4-Risen 320 watt in series/parallel, 8-215ah 6 volt GC2 batteries in series, Exeltech 1100 watt/48 volt inverter, Tristar 45 MPPT controller.
  • jensent

Sorry to take so long to get back. Cariboocoot you are right. I will need to include proper grounding. RGK1 has the right idea. Like an extension cord but no open windows. Generator outside of the house and need to bring power to the inside for sump pumps. Are inlet boxes available that accept standard male plugs as used on extension cords? Help me chose the correct cord to use between the generator and the inlet box.
    Thanks
    Tom
  • Joe94
    Joe94 Solar Expert Posts: 42

I used a bell box on the side of the house with a weather resistant 20amp inlet. I just use a standard heavy duty 20amp extension cord.
  • rgk1

You can do a search for pb15 inlet box. Several places have them with varying prices. I did have to go to the local electrical supply house and order a male 20amp (standard 3 prong with one sideways blade) cup and replaced the original 15amp in one of the boxes. There may be cheaper solutions, but at the time I installed, I could not find one.
    4-Risen 320 watt in series/parallel, 8-215ah 6 volt GC2 batteries in series, Exeltech 1100 watt/48 volt inverter, Tristar 45 MPPT controller.
  • jensent

rgk1
    Is that the pb15 inlet box pictured?
  • rgk1

Yes it is. Just like the male end of an extension cord. There is another box right beside that one that is just like it, but I replaced insert with a 20 amp. The one pictured has (insert name brand home wiring) attached to it that runs up the inside of the wall, through the attic and down the interior wall. That end is connected to a standard wall outlet.

On the inside of the house you can't one wall outlet from another. In the event of an outage, I just plug a standard extension cord from an outlet on the outside of my shed, that is fed from the inverter inside, to one or both of the inlets. Of course it is just as easy to plug the generator into them as well. That gives me power to my master bedroom and the other (20amp) to the kitchen.