Midnite CLassic Firmware update

hemmjo
hemmjo Solar Expert Posts: 90 ✭✭
I have a new Classic 150 and other components in a box here in my garage. I am taking then with me next week to install in a very remote region in the Dominican Republic. Hopefully I have everything I need. Reading the Classic manual and that of the WhizBang Jr. battery monitor adapter, I am wondering if I should update the Classic Firmware while I am here in the USA.

If I should upgrade it, can I just connect the Classic to a 12 volt battery to power it up, or should all of the wiring be complete before I power it up to do the update?

Thanks,

John
Two systems in the Dominican Republic  http://villagemountainmission.org/
installed Feb 2014 at 19.796189° -70.893594°, Classic 150 + WBJR, KISAE SW1210, MN Battery Monitor, IOTA DLS 55/IQ4,  4- Solar World 275w, 4-6v x 225ah Trace Batteries
installed Feb 2015 at 19.795733° -70.893372°, same components  as above
Honda PowerMate PC0497000, 7000/8750w generator - powers the well and chargers maybe once a week

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Midnite CLassic Firmware update
    hemmjo wrote: »
    If I should upgrade it, can I just connect the Classic to a 12 volt battery to power it up, or should all of the wiring be complete before I power it up to do the update?

All you need is a couple of 9 volt batteries (smoke alarm type batteries) in series. It beats lugging your car battery in to provide the 12 volts.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Midnite CLassic Firmware update

YES, would recommend Updating the FW before you leave home. The Classic requires very little current from the battery side to do the UD. If you have a small 12 V battery, that should be fine. Others, as vt notes, have used two 9V batteries in series for this. But, if using a rechargeable 12 V battery is convenient, why not use that?

You will only need two leads for the battery to UD the Classic. A switch in this lead would be convenient. If the battery that you are using has significant current capability, a small-ish circuit breaker might be recommended for protection and this switching function.

The revision frequency for the Classic - WBjr pair has been fairly high (and this is a good thing) recently. There have been significant improvements in the functionality of the WB, so the later FW is better IMO.

Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.