Leak in roof

gino45
gino45 Registered Users Posts: 12
apparently caused by screw holding rail on my pv system.

Roof is open beam, t&g subroof, asphalt layer and then asphalt shingles. Water leaks through at screw from above suppporting beam. I notice t&g underneath is cracked.

So, my question is, should I remove the screw and redo whole thing or just try to seal around the footing. Either way, I will have to shut off solar and remove at least 1 panel.

Oh yeah, job done by fly by nite solar, so I want to fix this myself.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Leak in roof

Remove the screw. Fill the hole with roofing-grade sealant. Replace the screw. Hope it doesn't leak.

It should have had goop in it to begin with, which leads me to believe you should probably pull all the hardware and do this everywhere before the next leak opens up.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    gino45 wrote: »
    apparently caused by screw holding rail on my pv system.
    <snip>
    Oh yeah, job done by fly by nite solar, so I want to fix this myself.

My greatest concern is that you've only found the first leak. If the screws were all put in the same way they are all bound to leak.
    :cry:
    If that is the case, it might make more sense to repair all of them at once, rather than a few at a time as you discover them.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Having done roofs & had fly by's do one that we needed to repair & fix !! I would hold off till Late spring / start of summer & deal with (catch the water) put a string up (pulled taunt) to deflect it into a catchment bucket (Garbage can if need be). Off grid ? have a few gensets ready . Tarps , build a levelling area that can be easily put up for a platform on the roof to hold all the items while staying up on the roof. Working on wet / slippery roofs is NOT safe , water drys & can be cleaned. There are special screws with rubber backed washers , non hardening caulks & sealers , Have replacement tiles ready to go ,for the ones that are cracked .

If your NOT a tradesman , look at buying real trades tools ,as in quality impact drivers ,real tool belt etc. Roof work is balance & sore legs. We did 5 roofs plus fixed to one . Then I installed a solar heat collector.
    To just put sealant or caulk around things will make more work next winter /rain season.
    Good luck & be safe first . I live in a rain forest on the wet coast of North America.

VT