Anyone have an idea as to what caused this? Mouse stopped when plugged into inverter

ILFE
ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
First, my computer was running on its own battery, not connected to anything.
My external 24" monitor was plugged into the inverter.

At first, I thought it was my computer. The computer stopped recognizing control from any USB mouse. However, power was being provided to any mouse I plugged into the USB ports. (Lights were functioning.)

The on board mouse began just jumping, randomly on the screen, when I attempted to move it via the touch pad.

I plugged both mice into the other laptop. They functioned fine.

As I stated, I thought it was the computer, until I went to do some work on another laptop. I unplugged the external monitor from my laptop and plugged it into the other one. Immediately, the same thing happened. Both mice were unable to control the cursor. The on board touch pad stopped working as well.

So, would the voltage from an inverter cause this? It must be something concerning the power the external monitor were being fed, then being sent to the laptop it was connected to, perhaps?

By the way, all works fine when plugged into mains power, and run through my UPS.
Paul

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Anyone have an idea as to what caused this? Mouse stopped when plugged into inverter

First thought is RF interference being transmitted from the inverter and interacting with the signal passing between the wireless mouse and the computer.
    Most inverters use a high frequency internal inverter to bump the 12 (or 24 or 48 ) volts up to 110 to 160 volts DC, which is then chopped up to produce the 110 volts AC. That initial voltage boost circuitry can be quite "noisy". How far is the inverter from your computer? Also COULD be some problem with the inverter, some defect.
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Re: Anyone have an idea as to what caused this? Mouse stopped when plugged into inverter
    First thought is RF interference being transmitted from the inverter and interacting with the signal passing between the wireless mouse and the computer.
    Most inverters use a high frequency internal inverter to bump the 12 (or 24 or 48 ) volts up to 110 to 160 volts DC, which is then chopped up to produce the 110 volts AC. That initial voltage boost circuitry can be quite "noisy". How far is the inverter from your computer? Also COULD be some problem with the inverter, some defect.

A couple of corrections. The mice are both USB, aside from the touch pad on each machine. I am in Cambodia and haven't used 110vac in almost 15 years. :D Sorry about that. The inverter, at the moment, is about 1 meter from the computer and monitor. There is no doubt that it was something, somehow, carried via the wiring, as it only affected the computer that was connected to the external monitor. Both were on the same desk at the time. When I transferred the video cable from one computer to the other, the problem transferred with it. The batteries and inverter, are currently 12vdc.

The only thing I guess it is, is some issue with the inverter being connected to computers, indirectly or directly. Everything else seems to run fine off it. It just doesn't like mice, I guess.
    Paul
  • waynefromnscanada

Hahaha I think you solved the problem, your inverter hates mice. Perhaps it had a bad experience with one in a past life. :D
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin

If this is a Windows machine--Sometimes the drivers get corrupted. Go into System settings and find the touch pad/mouse/usb drivers and delete them from the hardware list (it will ask if you want to delete the software from your disck--Answer no, you do not want to do this).

You may need to reboot the computer. At this point, the installed hardware (USB bridge, touch pad) should automagically reinstall. And if you plug in a mouse it should then reinstall too. At that point, if you lived an honorable life, all should be well.

I have a laptop (this one) where the touch pad stops working correctly. Cursor will barely move and the screen starts scrolling around instead. I have a wireless+USB mouse that I then plug in--And then both the wireless mouse and touch pad work fine again.

One other thing to check--Make sure no other USB (and wireless devices) are plugged into the computer... I helped one person that found he had a second keyboard+mouse plugged into a desktop computer that was behind some boxes--Something shifted and the old keyboard+mouse started to put random junk on the screen (something fell onto the old keyboard and was pressing/holding keys).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

RFI issues was my first thought also. Perhaps wrapping the mouse and/or other equipment cables through some ferrite beads would help...
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    PNjunction wrote: »
    RFI issues was my first thought also. Perhaps wrapping the mouse and/or other equipment cables through some ferrite beads would help...

Wireless mouse = no cables. :D

I'd be interested in knowing what the inverter is and just how 'pure' its sine wave is. RF from it transmitted through the monitor to the PC via the monitor cable would seem a likely suspect.

I use laptop off grid with the Outback and there is no such problem, even with a wireless mouse.
  • waynefromnscanada
    Wireless mouse = no cables. :D

I too had thought they were wireless mice, but was corrected by the OP.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Well maybe he should try a wireless mouse then!

But seriously there is no reason why a good PSW inverter should cause any trouble with any sort of computer equipment. This includes wired or wireless mice.

Computers managed to generate enough problems on their own; they don't need any outside help.