shallow discharge, how long is to long?

gww1
gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
I am running heaters during the day so I am only charging and using electric during daylight. How long can I do this without giving a deep discharge (which is how I normally use the battery) with out damage? Propane is priced high so I am using electric heat. To get it where I need it I have to use circuits that are on the inverter. I can discharge at anytime time but what I am doing now is almost like being grid tied.
Thanks
gww

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: shallow discharge, how long is to long?

So you're saying the batteries are not really being discharged because you're avoiding using them in order to direct all the solar power to heating?

This would be like the "constant float" dilemma for deep cycles. You're right that they do want to be drawn down occasionally. Once a month dragging them down below 75% SOC should do the trick.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

Coot
    Thanks, yes I am using them as you say. A short term situation and once a month will work great.
    By the way, you helped me on a previous thread where I was using the wrong charge voltages and I seem to have that worked out.
    gww
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Using electric heat? Have you considered a mini-split heat pump? I run mine a lot come Spring when the sun is high overhead and no longer shining in my big South facing windows, and get far more heat per watt than from electric resistance heat. There's no way my system could electric heat my place, but with the mini-split it can when the sun is shining. In Winter I heat with wood, and in the Fall, the sun is already low on the horizon preparing for Winter, so there's lots of free solar heat pouring in through the windows.