Complete Beginner - DC lighting for off grid island

Atnot
Atnot Registered Users Posts: 3
There is a small island that has no power. The people living there share a single generator in turns. We want to install a simple solar system to provide lighting in the evenings.

Basically the people live around the docks they have built. So near each dock is three or four homes. At each "pod of homes" we are planning on installing a solar panel and a battery. Then run low voltage wiring to each home in the pod to power 2, 5 watt LED lights.

The wiring we plan on using is just LVT or Irrigation Low Voltage wire.

We have the lights, and panels. We need batteries, wire, and inline fuses.

What are we missing?

The closest place to the island to buy supplies is Pulau Batam on the Island of Batam in Indonesia. Anyone know a supplier that is in the area or that ships there?

Thanks in advance
Atnot

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Complete Beginner - DC lighting for off grid island

Welcome to the forum.

What you're missing is the distance factor. The further those low Voltage wires have to run and the greater the current on them the lower the Voltage will be by the time it gets to the other end. As such the lights could be very dim, or even not work at all.

Two 5 Watt lights is 10 Watts, about 1 Amp on 12 VDC.
    This page has a basic V-drop calculator: http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
    Now if you know the distance involved you can determine a wire size that will minimize the Voltage drop.

You would also need charge controller(s): one per panel & battery install.
    The batteries will need to be large enough to supply the Watt hours expected to be used, and the panels & controllers large enough to recharge those batteries in the available sunlight.

It's quite possible for this to work. And if not at 12 VDC then a little extra power allotment and a small inverter can send 120 VAC (or 230 VAC probably in that location) quite a long ways.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭

Ive spent some time in indonesia and loved every minute. To keep this really simple heres some thoughts:

- use a 24v battery bank. Many led lights will run on 24v, for those 12v versions without regulators, just series pair them.

- 24v helps with the voltage drop. For 25W per house, 100 meters of 4mm2/10 awg cable each way, voltage drop around 2%.
    http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=3.277&voltage=25&phase=dc&noofconductor=1&distance=300&distanceunit=feet&amperes=1&x=66&y=15

- you need a charge controller, midnite kid is the current hot small controller, available soon, otherwise morningstar. Try to avoid chinese, no name stuff if you can, that will save your sanity and ultimately redoing things twice. Do you have mail order access to this sort of gear?

- some fusing between the controller and the batterys, and between the loads and the batterys, to protect the battery and wiring from fire hazards. The midnite/outback DC breakers are best, but at your scale you can use what you get your hands on, automotive fuses though not ideal will work.

What remains is correctly sizeing the PV, and batterys. What panels do you have? Full specs needed.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Atnot, how many panels and what size are they? What batteries are available? V, Ahr rating, type? Any Solar equipment next large center?

Due to the vagaries of use I would think you want 1 12V (?) battery per house to ensure no excess use, etc. 3 or 4 houses on one battery and unrestricted use...problems may arise as to who/what killed the battery after X months...

Look at the Midnite Solar BCM, a handy tools for small systems. http://www.solar-electric.com/mnbcm.html

Check out our host re shipping...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • zoneblue
    Due to the vagaries of use I would think you want 1 12V (?) battery per house to ensure no excess use, etc. # or 4 houses on one battery and unrestricted use...problems may arise as to who/what killed the battery after X months...

Wb, this is a good point. I guess you can go two ways with it, completely seperate systems for each house, or some form of monitoring system. Years ago i was involved in a housing project that we had a large number of houses sharing a single 3 phase 115kVA grid connection. The daily line charge savings were amazing, as were the kwh rates because of the overall lower fuse sizes. We passed those on to the residents, who each had a check meter, that they read themselves every 3 months, and sent in by email.

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »
    Due to the vagaries of use I would think you want 1 12V (?) battery per house to ensure no excess use, etc. # or 4 houses on one battery and unrestricted use...problems may arise as to who/what killed the battery after X months...

You are, of course, correct. But there will be a cost... four controllers, four battery monitors, many extra fuses, etc.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • westbranch

Agree, my thinking was that as the system is so small one of the smallest MorningStar PWM products would be usable due to the tropical location, ie one panel properly sized to the battery and one CC, a few fuses/CB's and some wire, Voila.
    Also does away with line loss issues as we don't know about the actual inter house distance.

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • hemmjo
    hemmjo Solar Expert Posts: 90 ✭✭

You may want to contact these people to see the availability of these for your situation. I have not yet done it, but need to.

http://deciwatt.org/

It is a gravity powered LED light for remote situations like yours.

Best of Luck,

John
    Two systems in the Dominican Republic  http://villagemountainmission.org/
    installed Feb 2014 at 19.796189° -70.893594°, Classic 150 + WBJR, KISAE SW1210, MN Battery Monitor, IOTA DLS 55/IQ4,  4- Solar World 275w, 4-6v x 225ah Trace Batteries
    installed Feb 2015 at 19.795733° -70.893372°, same components  as above
    Honda PowerMate PC0497000, 7000/8750w generator - powers the well and chargers maybe once a week

• Atnot

Thank you all for you replies, this is a very helpful site! Sorry for the lateness of my reply as I am not the only one involved in this.

It turns out we only have one panel that was purchased for a test setup and will be used at a single, more remote building so we need to purchase pretty much everything.

I see the point about people having disagreements about who 'killed' the battery, and it is quite valid. Money may not allow us to circumvent this though.

We only currently have the lights (12V, 5W) so we really could go anyway at this point including a central location to charge the batteries. What kind of batteries, a controller and panel would we need for the central charging location?

Maybe the panels and batteries could be small (therefore cheap) enough for us to have one for each house (I am really ignorant on what drives up the cost of the project). What would we be looking at to give each person their own panel? From what I can tell, the pod of 3-4 houses on a panel would increase the wire costs so that might not be the best idea.

We really like those gravity lights John linked but they aren't available yet from what I can see. Maybe the central charging location would be the most cost effective until the end of the year when the gravity lights are available.

TIA
    Atnot
  • Cariboocoot

What you need are some hard numbers to work with. Principally how much power is going to be consumed per household.

If you run 5 Watts of light for an hour that's 5 Watt hours. On 12 VDC it's about half an Amp hour, so two of those lights per hour would be using one Amp hour. From there you multiply out. For example ten hours of run time makes 10 Amp hours, which means a minimum 20 Amp hour battery for that location and 40 would be better (the lower discharge level means longer battery life).

So if you had four small batteries like this for example http://www.solar-electric.com/unbamo45agms.html And then each household brought theirs to the central recharging station that station would need to be able to handle all four batteries.

Which is where it gets interesting. For in fact they would not be used as one battery bank, so each would have a different level of charge and need. That means you either have to charge them individually, or have four controllers/panels, or take your chances with how they recharge all at once.

If charged individually it's pretty easy to do: you're looking at ~5 Amps of current at most so a panel like this http://www.solar-electric.com/so85wa12voso.html and a small controller like this http://www.solar-electric.com/sg-4.html

But if you look at the costs you see that such a panel is pretty expensive per Watt, so it may be cheaper to go larger. In which case you can get a dual battery controller like this http://www.solar-electric.com/modubachco25.html and charge two batteries at once from a single panel (ideally 175 Watts @ 12 Volts but you probably won't find such a thing) or a pair of 130 Watt panels http://www.solar-electric.com/solartech-spm130p-s-n-130-watt-multicrystalline-solar-module.html

Sorry I'm throwing a lot of options and possibilities out here, but there are a lot.

Another thing that should be considered right from the start is how much more power is likely to be used/needed in the future? Buying a bunch of small equipment now (which tends to cost more for the capacity) and then needing to expand to larger stuff later is something you should want to avoid.
  • westbranch

Atnot, is everyone in agreement on what they need, 1 light, 2 lights or possibly more? You may have need for different systems, not that they would be drastically different, nor might the cost of a larger system ( mostly battery I imagine) BUT you will need to tell us what you want / need to start with... the rest will fall in place upon your statement of system objectives.8)

• Atnot

Thanks again for you replies, they are a great help for me.
    westbranch wrote: »
    is everyone in agreement on what they need, 1 light, 2 lights or possibly more? You may have need for different systems, not that they would be drastically different, nor might the cost of a larger system ( mostly battery I imagine) BUT you will need to tell us what you want / need to start with... the rest will fall in place upon your statement of system objectives.8)

I see your point, that I am being too vague.

The systems will be 2 lights (12v 5w each). There will be 1 battery at each house.

Based on what Cariboocoot suggested I was thinking of using the 35 amp hour batteries. I know they are a bit smaller than the 40 amp hour best case but money is sadly our biggest factor.
    where it gets interesting. For in fact they would not be used as one battery bank, so each would have a different level of charge and need. That means you either have to charge them individually, or have four controllers/panels, or take your chances with how they recharge all at once.

Does 'how they all recharge at once', mean that we could just buy a single panel and a single battery controller and hook the batteries in parallel and hope for the best?

This is the part that I am really confused about. I don't know how you calculate the current/size of the panel required. I found this calculator at The DIY World. It determined we could use a fairly small panel (10 watts based on 10 watts of lights used 6 hours, with 6 hours of charge time). I got the charge time from a climate history websites calculation of sunshine hours per day based on the average time the sun is not obscured by clouds.

According to those calculations I could use a 20 watt panel for 2 x 35 amp hour batteries. Which of course is much different in cost from an 85 watt panel each battery. I am guessing this smaller panel and battery setup would be harder on the batteries and limit their life a lot? Or is this calculator really not very realistic to real world application?

Atnot
  • westbranch

the down and dirty rule of thumb is easy to use and works quite well, eg battery is 40 Ahr rated, this will need a panel (of same voltage = 12v) that produces an Imp of 4 amps..:D this assumes you will havea PWM charge controller. Other panels could be used with an MPPT CC, ie 24V or 36V or ??

• Cariboocoot
    Atnot wrote: »
    Does 'how they all recharge at once', mean that we could just buy a single panel and a single battery controller and hook the batteries in parallel and hope for the best?

Yup. You treat them all as one larger battery and get ready to throw out the ones that are used more when they don't get charged enough. So 4 * 35 Amp hours would be a 'virtual' 140 Amp hour battery and you need a panel and controller capable of delivering up to 14 Amps (about 245 Watts).
    This is the part that I am really confused about. I don't know how you calculate the current/size of the panel required. I found this calculator at The DIY World. It determined we could use a fairly small panel (10 watts based on 10 watts of lights used 6 hours, with 6 hours of charge time). I got the charge time from a climate history websites calculation of sunshine hours per day based on the average time the sun is not obscured by clouds.

Well the peak charge current rule-of-thumb works well in most cases. 10% of the battery's "20 hour" Amp hour capacity multiplied by the Vmp for the nominal system Voltage. In this case the above 245 Watts is calculated as 10% of 140 Amp hours being 14 Amps * 17.5 Vmp for a 12 Volt system = 245 Watts of panel.
    According to those calculations I could use a 20 watt panel for 2 x 35 amp hour batteries. Which of course is much different in cost from an 85 watt panel each battery. I am guessing this smaller panel and battery setup would be harder on the batteries and limit their life a lot? Or is this calculator really not very realistic to real world application?

Atnot

On a 12 Volt system a 20 Watt panel will produce a tiny amount of current: 20 Watts / 17.5 Vmp = slightly more than 1 Amp. That is not going to do the job for two 35 Amp hour batteries. It wouldn't even keep them up if they were not being used. Trust me on this: I've fixed more inadequate systems than I can keep track of, and insufficient PV is the #1 problem.
  • zoneblue

Im confused. If you have one battery in each house, theres no practical way to charge them from a single source. When the batterys are in parallel its no longer sperate batterys, and the wire lengths will affect the charge rates unevenly. You generally want large short wire between controller and batterys.

The exception would be some sort of reasonably sophisticated mulitchannel constant current generator. As it happens a PV panel is such a thing, but you will need one panel per battery.

Given that budget is a constraint, simple is best. You have two choices a single PV/bank which is then reticulated, or seperate PV/banks per house.

The advantage of the former is a single central maintenance system, which may avoid some houses batterys maintenance being neglected.
    The disadvantage of the former is the who killed the battery,tragedy of the commons, problem. You will need extremely good communications process between you all for this to work.

I honestly doubt there will be a heck of a lot of price difference either way. One way saves a few breakers, the other saves some wire. The system isnt big enough to reach the cheaper PV panel sizes etc.

How many houses are we talking and how far apart are they? That makes a difference.

• Cariboocoot
    zoneblue wrote: »
    Im confused. If you have one battery in each house, theres no practical way to charge them from a single source. When the batterys are in parallel its no longer sperate batterys, and the wire lengths will affect the charge rates unevenly. You generally want large short wire between controller and batterys.

Actually I've designed systems like this before: everyone carries their battery to the central charging station in the morning. It may sound like a pain-in-the-anatomy to most of us, but in some locales it is far more feasible than long wire runs or lots of individual systems. The 'charging them as one battery' method is most apt to cause trouble.
    How many houses are we talking and how far apart are they? That makes a difference.

Four houses, but as yet that all-important distance between has not been revealed.