Adding solar panels into system that have shade

simmtron
simmtron Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
Any advice, I have a system with 5- 85 watt panels hooked up to a new Morningstar 60 amp pwm charge controller, I have 2 more 85 watt panels that I could use, but they are in total shade for about 2 hours while the others are in sun all day. Would these panels degrade the existing panels while in shade, or would those 2 panels just not provide current. They will be relocated to full sun in about 7 months but I would like to use them now. I have 20 feet #4 wire fron panels to CC at the moment. The system is 12 volts.
Question 2 is I have a temp compensation wire that was hooked up to my old CC (HPV-22 Heliotrope) . Could this be used on the Morningstar.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Adding solar panels into system that have shade

With the panels in parallel it won't matter if two are in shade for a couple of hours. They simply won't add anything to the current while shaded. Your 4 AWG wire should still be good at full 35 Amps.

Remote temperature sensors are brand-specific. Not a good idea to try to use one on a different than specified controller.
  • simmtron
    simmtron Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    Re: Adding solar panels into system that have shade

Thanks for the quick reply, Have added the 2 panels to existing CC and seems to work great. Will have to move the panels once the house is finished.