MidNite Kid CC Running Through its Paces

Vic
Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
Just set up a new MidNite Beta Kid CC.
Very slick, compact CC without any fan. Am a fan of that.

Just a drive-by. More later. Vic
Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.

Comments

• halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Re: MidNite Kid CC Running Through its Paces

Looks good. I admire the RFI work you are doing and hope to come close one day. I spend a fair bit of time on HF (mostly 20 meters) and could always use a lower noise floor.
  • Saggys
    Saggys Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Nice install. Look forward to hearing how it performs for you.
  • Vic

Ryan,

Am certain that if I took time to test what approach resulted in a certain measured result it would be much better -- some of the things thrown at RFI are a total waste, or marginal at best.

Am trying to get a few major projects done, so can actually use/play on the radios.

Am very happy to have this new CC to test. It has many very sophisticated functions, like a very comprehensive set of Load functions, built into a very compact 30 Amp output CC. The Swiss Army Knife of CCs (to overuse the term a bit more). Very slick, indeed.

Back to work. Thanks guys, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like boys at Midnight have done another winner. My guess is that Marc at Rogue is going to have run roar for his money.

Tony
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Love to read the info on this unit ..I haven't found much since this post.

VT
  • Vic

Hi CDN_VT,

Should have posted a link before, try this:
    http://midniteforum.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1500.0;attach=1900

More later, VIc
  • lorelec
    lorelec Solar Expert Posts: 200 ✭✭
    icarus wrote: »
    Looks like boys at Midnight have done another winner. My guess is that Marc at Rogue is going to have run roar for his money.

Tony

Midnite doesn’t worry me. I’m more concerned with what’s coming out of China. The likes of Tracer and Ecoworthy have an enormous share of the market for smaller charge controllers. Once you get beyond your own company's cheering section, it's something that has to be reckoned with.
  • mahendra
    mahendra Solar Expert Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

i agree with the last two posts, I was not impressed with the new rogue as a consumer .Yes US solar companies must be cautious with China they are good at copying stuff at a really lower price and not to mention quality,especially in the smaller line.
  • lorelec
    lorelec Solar Expert Posts: 200 ✭✭
    mahendra wrote: »
    i agree with the last two posts, I was not impressed with the new rogue as a consumer .

Can I ask what you didn't like? What could be improved upon? Always looking for feedback. Thanks.
  • CDN_VT

Thank You Vic.
    Is this the only info for these ? where did you purchase yours ? Love the voltages !! I need to power the duck's & chicken house's & then the Barn !!
    Right now I'm working on panels by the pallet .

VT
  • Vic

CDN_VT,

The MidNite Kid is now in Beta test. The unit I have is a Beta unit. Production units could be a few months away ( I am not a MidNite person, just a Beta tester).

I have not seen any other promotional info from MidNite on the Kid. More later. Vic
  • hogan646
    hogan646 Registered Users Posts: 7

I found two videos on Utube of another beta tester of the Kidd.

http://youtu.be/UFHEeHOYUMU

http://youtu.be/E2cgpi9MD2w
  • halfcrazy
    CDN_VT wrote: »
    Thank You Vic.
    Is this the only info for these ? where did you purchase yours ? Love the voltages !! I need to power the duck's & chicken house's & then the Barn !!
    Right now I'm working on panels by the pallet .

VT

I can answer any Kid related questions for anyone. here are some basic specs and I am happy to answer more questions just ask:

*150 volt input operational, 162 volt safety limit. Controller will not run above 150 but it is safe to 162vdc
    *30 Amps out put
    *12,24,36 and 48 volt battery
    *True paralleling with Smart current Sharing for one big array into 2 Kids
    *Follow Me mode for large scale systems to give coordinated charging
    *No Fan
    *Sealed unit for harsher climates (Not for outdoor use)
    *Aux I/O terminals for Logic input or Aux outputs
    *Full power load circuit for diversion or lighting etc.
    *Full featured display with full adjustability for most any battery chemistry
    *SOC% meter with the WBjr added
    *Clipper circuit for Wind mode. Will require the Kid Clipper to go with it.

We are starting production quantities now and the unit is also at ETL for evaluation. We anticipate Distributors having inventory by mid to late Feb. I see our host does not have them on there website yet but some of the other online retailers do. I see one place they are listed for a street price of $289

Ryan
  • CDN_VT

Thanks Folks , Nice "Ol Boy" in the video.

Still not listed with the host here. But I did find it on a few other sites.

Ryan , scroll up for the Gent with the Video. I'm just funnin his Drawl .. Like I don't have an accent !!

VT
  • halfcrazy
    Thanks Folks , Nice "Ol Boy" in the video.

Video? About the kid?

Ryan
  • hogan646
    hogan646 Registered Users Posts: 7
    halfcrazy wrote: »
    Video? About the kid?

Ryan

Yes, I posted a couple video's of another beta tester of the Kidd a few comments back on this thread. He has a good channel mostly about solar and wind.
  • CDN_VT

Ordered one !! , should be here in 2 weeks .
    Plus a few more treats . Panels by the pallet is still in the works.
  • Vic

VT, great that you have a new Kid on the way. Seems to be a very capable mid-range MPPT CC, and MidNite seems very motivated to keep on adding functions to it, and making it better. Have Fun, Vic
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Take back your power

vt, from your footer, just watched this film last night. The scene where they show what happens to the red blood cells under a microscope when you stand next to a smart meter are particularly fascinating. Overall a not bad produced film, and certainly food for thought.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• CDN_VT

Thats what I hope for , your decision & thoughts after viewing.
    Just more info , in a convoluted world .. I know truths in my field only,& no we didn't crash , were pulling a barge in the avatar .
    VT

Just read a new Firmware update out, issues addressed :
    - Added go to Main Status screen in 5 min of no operation.
    - Added LCD power mode and key wake up
    - LCD Power Setting Saved in EEprom
    - Back-light and Contrast now under SETUP in LCD menu
    - Added Manual EQ
    - Settings for EQ are under SETUP in the EQ Menu
    - Fixed negative temp display
    - fixed the negative FET temp issue RFR 6
    - added LED functionality
    - added save functions for LED and LCD
    - added BCM to count days without float for BCM LED function
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Thats what I hope for , your decision & thoughts after viewing.

We (obviously i guess) dont have a smart meter. And at night pretty much our entire house goes dark, eletrically. With the exception of a dc fridge & freezer. But we do have wifi and a walk about phone, and I spend long hours next to a laptop with wifi. My reaction was even when no power comapny is doing that sort of thing to us, we do it to ourselves!

So i guess my decision was, seeing that you asked, is to go back to ethernet for that particular computer, and move the wifi router further away from my desk. Distance (squared).
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know how you guys watched that, I got a warning message about that site and skeedaddled out...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet, guys: it is also the Misinformation Super Highway.

Also, be advised this forum has very low tolerance for junk science.
  • halfcrazy

Junk Science? I am not sure about any health risks but the smart meters in our area wiped out my internet link. And they are charging for Power Factor even though they are not allowed to.
  • CDN_VT

Thanks HalfNutz ..
    I'm not wanting to go the Olsen route , & never said smart metering was evil ..Just View for yourself & THINK !!
    I'm back to hard wired & keep the RF transmitters stuff away from proximity too the humans area.My wife is sensitive & has no clue about when I added wifi for myself , But I heard it from her saying that the (Area/room/ new tv / something was wrong) . I changed the wifi to hardwire the systems within a month (Cat-6e) between three levels & special wall mount plates etc , and within one week the girl was bouncy again . She reads off the led TV , as well as paper books in the main room.
    Got me , I don't feel much of anything I'm told .

Anyways this is about the Kid thread.. Just glad some view & think . We all make our changes as we see fit.

VT
  • CDN_VT
    westbranch wrote: »
    I don't know how you guys watched that, I got a warning message about that site and skeedaddled out...
    It's not a web link Westbranch , it's a hash line & you would need a program to bring in that torrent using that hash link , no smoking or scary things .

VT