Charge Controler

Options
Silverfish
Silverfish Registered Users Posts: 4
Tried searching and did not see the info I needed. Wondering the main difference between the $35 mppt and the $150. I'm assuming I would need to assess my needs and pick one from there. Basically, I have 2 12v 130w panels in series, need a 24v cc and 2 12v batteries in series. Nothing huge, but since I need to change out my cc, wanted to look into mppt. I hope to expand later also. Thanks!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Charge Controler

A $35 MPPT controller has a sticker on it that says "MPPT". A $150 MPPT controller might actually work. A $500 MPPT controller does what it claims to. This is why for most small applications (<400 Watt array) the MPPT controller offers no advantage.

Where are you seeing these controllers with such low prices? Used? A $35 controller probably wouldn't be any good even if it was a PWM type.
  • Silverfish
    Silverfish Registered Users Posts: 4
    Options

Saw this on Amazon. :)
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Silverfish wrote: »
    Saw this on Amazon. :)

Used? Or just really poor quality Asian imports? :p
  • WillBkool
    WillBkool Solar Expert Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Options
    A $35 MPPT controller has a sticker on it that says "MPPT". A $150 MPPT controller might actually work. A $500 MPPT controller does what it claims to. This is why for most small applications (<400 Watt array) the MPPT controller offers no advantage.

My Morningstar sunsaver 15A MPPT is rated for a max of 400 watts at 24v. It's probably the smallest MPPT that works decently that I know of. I just wish it could communicate with the bigger Morningstar MPPT controllers for when I upgrade in the future. If you're expanding in the future, you may want to lay out the money for a Morningstar or perhaps even a Rogue MPPT controller now, and you won't have to upgrade when you expand like I have to.
    1220 Watts, 4 Evergreen 120 watt, 1 Eoplly 190 watt; 1 Sungold 200 watt; 2 175 Watt; M-Star 15A MPPT; C40 PWM; 6 105 AH AGM Configured to 315@24V
    Cotek 1500 watt/24v
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

This is why I wrote "for most small applications".
  • Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    Options

Caraboocoot there is one situation where having an MPPT controller does pay and that is when you use a high voltage panel. We have a 185W 66cell panel on our teardrop trailer and we get usable current from sun up to sun down and with the panel shaded to some extent. It was a beginner mistake when I bought the panel not knowing it put out the higher voltage that it required a Morningstar MPPT controller, but it works great.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Caraboocoot there is one situation where having an MPPT controller does pay and that is when you use a high voltage panel. We have a 185W 66cell panel on our teardrop trailer and we get usable current from sun up to sun down and with the panel shaded to some extent. It was a beginner mistake when I bought the panel not knowing it put out the higher voltage that it required a Morningstar MPPT controller, but it works great.

Thank you for that. Otherwise I wouldn't have known. :roll: