The Mooshimeter- wireless multimeter - Solar applications?

mtdoc
mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
Check out this crowdfunded wireless - multimeter/data logger - The Mooshimeter!

Despite the awful name (don't ask what it means in German!) - it looks like something that could be very useful for Solar or other RE applications. It can simultaneously measure voltage and current - so it would allow monitoring and logging of power output.

The last thing I need is another multimeter - but this looks different and it seems like it could be very useful. Someone convince me not to throw some money at this! Opinions?

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: The Mooshimeter- wireless multimeter - Solar applications?

well the first thing I did when speed scanning the name, my mind thought it was mis-spelled and added a couple of "N"s in the name , making it Moonshiner and that got my interest!

Wow, now all I need is a smart-phone... First thing I thought of was capturing the inrush surge on motors for system size determination.

Hmmm Bday coming up, just have to pay off the MN xmas gift of a BetaKID...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

here is a quote from the page http://moosh.im/mooshimeter/ near the bottom, just above the EKG part...

A battery’s impedance is a much better indicator of its health and state of charge than voltage alone.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • mtdoc
    westbranch wrote: »
    here is a quote from the page http://moosh.im/mooshimeter/ near the bottom, just above the EKG part...

A battery’s impedance is a much better indicator of its health and state of charge than voltage alone.

Yea - despite having a pretty slick marketing campaign and website - the technical info and engineering actually looks good. It does not seem to be just fluff.
  • jwhong
    jwhong Registered Users Posts: 1
    mtdoc wrote: »
    Yea - despite having a pretty slick marketing campaign and website - the technical info and engineering actually looks good. It does not seem to be just fluff.

Thank you! I am one of the two engineers behind the Mooshimeter. We know we have to appeal to technical people, and that means showing due diligence and devices that actually work. IMHO, there are way too many crowdfunding campaigns that spend all their money on a slick video and lots of special effects to make their idea come to life. Instead we built five generations of prototypes and just filmed them doing their thing.
    First thing I thought of was capturing the inrush surge on motors for system size determination.

For most motors, we can do that! Check out our videos of installing the motors in cars and catching the startup transients. Note that in those videos we're using the battery grounding cable as a quick-and-dirty current shunt, but you could just as easily use a DC clamp meter or precision shunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlXm_iz2qyM
    Despite the awful name (don't ask what it means in German!)

Sorry, we didn't know what it meant in German :cry:

This meter definitely has applications in the solar market. Long battery life, simultaneous voltage and current combined with the onboard SD card mean you can log watts from a PV installation for months.

Feel free to reach out with any questions: hello@moosh.im
  • ramloui
    ramloui Solar Expert Posts: 109 ✭✭

Me want!!!! (sound of Homer drooling...)
    Off-grid cabin in northern Quebec: 6 x 250 W Conergy panels, FM80, 4 x 6V CR430 in series (24V nominal), Magnum MS4024-PAE
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    mtdoc wrote: »
    Someone convince me not to throw some money at this!

Maybe you could throw some money at this: http://www.ladyada.net/make/tweetawatt/

(I found the tweet-a-watt link over at the yahoo Honda eu2000 forum)

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • mtdoc
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Maybe you could throw some money at this: http://www.ladyada.net/make/tweetawatt/

(I found the tweet-a-watt link over at the yahoo Honda eu2000 forum)

--vtMaps

Cool idea! But $55 per outlet is a bit much.... I don't have that much money to throw around..:cry: