Hydrometer question

Out There
Out There Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭✭✭
Seeking opinions regarding quality and sourcing for a new hydrometer. Who uses what and where's the best place to get one?
Thanks!

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Hydrometer question

For a traditional glass float style hydro, nothing is better than the Freas hydrometer, Clear markings every 5 points, very rugged, and the float has small glass "tits" that help keep the float from sticking to the inside of the inner tube.

AVOID the Brady Hydros at all cost. Brady has never been very good, and the newer mini variety has too little clearance between the float and the ID of the outer tube, such that Surface Tension causes the float to hang up, causing wildly varying readings. No Hydro at all is better than this latest Brady unit -- at least with no Hydro, you know that you do not have one. Some might be mislead as to SOC, in believing that the Brady is suitable for this important task of actually MEASURING and indicating the real SOC.

Another very good Hydro is the HydroVolt. German made, and now distributed by MidNite Solar. It is very easy to read and has good resolution.

ALWAYS rinse your Hydrometer after each measuring session, ideally two or three times with Distilled Water. This will keep it working for years. Not rinsing causes a sticky residue to build up on the insides. This allows air bubbles to adhere to the float and tube, causing erroneous readings.

My opinions, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Out There

Your opinion is what I was looking for!
    Thank You!
    Brian
  • Out There

I just looked at the NAW&S site…. all they appear to offer is Brady! Any suggestions as to where to buy the Freas?
  • Vic

Hi Out There (you ARE out there aren't you!),

Yes, know that this was your real question ... where ...

I bought five or six Freas Hydros from our sponsor, wind-sun. They have not carried them for 4 - 5 years, too bad!

At this point, I do not do ANY on-line commerce, so, if there is no human to take an order, unable to buy any item.

Freas used to answer their phones, they are back East ... will look for their number. They must have resellers in the USA.
    EDIT: http://www.freasglass.com/battery.htm

Catalog is here:
    http://freasglass.com/Freas_Glass_Catalog.pdf

Long ago, the Freas Hydro with the integral Thermometer needed a large volume tube, and the rubber bulb had too little volume to fill the tube adequately to float the float, so, unless this has changed, would avoid that model. My preference is for a Hydro that lacks any colors, or judgmental words about SOC, just black numbers on a white background for me. Please update us when you find a good source.
    Thanks, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Vic

Did a bit of poking around and the HydroVolt is listed for sale on this site:
    http://www.ecodirect.com/Midnite-Solar-HydroVolt-Hydrometer-p/midnite-mnhydrometer.htm

Perhaps we could talk wind-sun into carrying the HydroVolt, and/or Freas again.

If this violates etiquette or manners, please delete this post. Thanks, Vic
  • northerner
    northerner Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a professional grade hydrometer with built in thermometer (letting you know how much to add or subtract) and find it works very well. It is a Brady, but I have not had a problem using it, as another poster mentions about. You can find it for sale online by searching if you're interested.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Vic wrote: »
    Another very good Hydro is the HydroVolt. German made, and now distributed by MidNite Solar. It is very easy to read and has good resolution.

For quite awhile I recommended the use of refractometer rather than hydrometer because I felt they were more accurate and not subject to the stickiness problems that hydrometers have.

Now i have a Hydrovolt hydrometer and recommend it highly.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Vic

northerner,

I also have that model of the Brady (well, at least one version of the Hydro/Thermo). Initially, I thought it was a clever design, but on the third use, electrolyte began to leak into the Thermometer "chamber", and was concerned about contamination of electrolyte from the scale materials. Stopped using it then.

An earlier Brady Hydro w/o Thermometer suffered from the Silicone rubber being blackened (probably from electrolyte), and it would emit a slight Sulphur aroma after use. Was again concerned about electrolyte contamination, so again stopped using that Brady.

It is too bad that wind-sun seems to only carry Brady Hydros, now, and then, only the Micor-sized one.

Just my opinions based on personal experience. I have no ax to grind with Brady, but I have tried a number of their models, and each and every one leaves a lot to be desired. YMMV Good Luck, Vic
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

Old thread.... but I got a Hydrovolt a little while back and am greatly pleased with the way it works. The only downside is they are expensive. made in Germany and available there for less than US$ 20, but here they are almost double that, plus shipping. Shipping from EU makes that impractical.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M