Using AC Solar Panel in Off-Grid Installation ?

Options
Sunny-HTI
Sunny-HTI Registered Users Posts: 20 ✭✭
First of all I want to say Thank You for all the knowledge I have acquired in this forum.

I have purchased 4 new 225W Sunpower PV (E18/225 - SPR-225-BLK-U) on Craigslist from a location that went out of business. I thought the price was pretty decent.

My intention was to use them in an off-grid house with a battery bank (size undetermined) in Haiti. I don't have to use all 4 now - The location has no AC power whatsoever.

I now realized those panels are listed as AC panels. Are there any possibility to use them in an off-grid installation? - That is my primary concern.

Most of my power needs will be at night, and I wonder if I should second whatever installation I have in the future with a small wind turbine.

Night Time:
2 60W fan @ 6hrs most night
Lighting 52W @ 4 hrs
TV Power Consumption (Max): 50W @ 4 hrs

Daytime
mini-freezer 140W @ 6hrs
Phone - camera - laptop charging.
Occasional use of a blender 600W

I have 2.5 Kw generator I could use for ironing, clothes washing, when needed.

I would sincerely appreciate your knowledge to figure out my next move.

Thank you

48V Off-grid System - 1890W panel array (6 x 315) in 3S2P configuration, MNPV3 Combiner, MNDC Enclosure, Whiz Bang JR, Classic 150 CC, 2.5K Inverter Cotek SD-2500-148, 4 x 12v 204 AH FLA Trojan (SPRE 12 225)...

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    Re: Using AC Solar Panel in Off-Grid Installation ?

I believe you just have to disconnect the "Micro Inverter" from the DC side of the panel and you will have:

Peak Power (+5/-3%) Pmax 225 W
    Efficiency η 18.1%
    Rated Voltage Vmpp 40.5 V
    Rated Current Impp 5.55 V
    Open Circuit Voltage Voc 48.0 V
    Short Circuit Current Isc 5.93 A
    Temperature Coefficients Power (P) -0.38 %/K
    Voltage (Voc) -132.5mV/K
    Current (Isc) 3.5mA/K
    NOCT 46°C+/-2°C

A panel that will work just fine with any "standard" MPPT controller (that meets the input voltage/power ratings).

And the panel could work OK with a PWM controller on a 24 volt battery bank. Or two panels in series for a 48 volt battery bank.

You may have 10% reduced power output when using behind a PWM controller and Vmp~40.5 volt rated panels (ideal would have been ~35-38 volts Vmp or so rated panel--but not huge drawback).

And you put the Micro Inverters (Enphase or similar) on Craig's List.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sunny-HTI wrote: »

I now realized those panels are listed as AC panels. Are there any possibility to use them in an off-grid installation? - That is my primary concern.

Most of my power needs will be at night, and I wonder if I should second whatever installation I have in the future with a small wind turbine.

Night Time:
    Lighting 52W @ 4 hrs

Daytime
    mini-freezer 140W @ 6hrs

Welcome to the forum,
    There's no such thing as an AC solar panel, all panels produce DC. You can attach an inverter to the panel ant the assembly would have an AC output. Your panels are what we call grid-tie panels... they have a voltage too high to charge a battery with a PWM charge controller. Now-a-days most panels are "grid-tie". As long as you use an MPPT type of controller your panels will be fine for off-grid use.

The first step in designing a system is to figure out what you want the system to do... that means you must know your loads.
    The second (and most difficult) step is to choose a battery bank and system voltage.
    The third step is easy: just buy enough panels and electronics and generator to keep your batteries happy.

Regarding your loads... I notice that you list the freezer as a daytime only load... that sounds a bit unusual. The loads you listed are about 2 kwh per day, but you haven't included the power consumption of your inverter. Generally we recommend a battery bank have about 4 times the capacity of your daily load... that gives you a couple of days without sun before your batteries are 50% discharged.

The loads you've listed could be achieved with either a 12 or 24 volt system. The 24 volt system will give you more room for expansion in the future.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.
    Options

In this case, these are solar panels that have an integrated micro inverter attached to the rear of the panel:

http://us.sunpowercorp.com/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheadername1=Content-Type&blobheadername2=Content-Disposition&blobheadervalue1=application%2Fpdf&blobheadervalue2=inline%3B+filename%3DSunPower%2BE18_225%2BAC%2BSolar%2BPanel%2BDatasheet.pdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1300268268875&ssbinary=true

So, they sort of are "AC panels"--However, they should be converted back to DC panels by removing the micro inverter with "shorter than typical" DC power leads.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    So, they sort of are "AC panels"--However, they should be converted back to DC panels by removing the micro inverter with "shorter than typical" DC power leads.

Thanks for clarifying that :-) --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Sunny-HTI
    Options

Thank you for your quick replies and expertise. I am so relieved knowing I can use those panels off-grid.

If I understand correctly, I can use those PVs just by connecting them using the MC connectors that come out of the Tyco Electronics Solar Junction Box IP65 (Picture attached below) sorry if attached twice - can't seem to remove.

I have realized a MPPT controller will be the best option for me, but I have to decide what size.

I would like to build a system that is scalable although I understand it's not that easy, and to quote Bill " Growing a system over time is like buying a Honda Civic and growing in to a mini-van and eventually a pickup to a semi " ;)

That said, I wouldn't mind investing in a good MPPT controller that I can use down the road. My power need for now may be light, but that will increase with time.

As I have mentioned in my first post, the location in question is in Haiti in a small remote island. Nowadays I go there 3 times a year, however I will star spending more time there by the end of this year .

I could definitely use your recommendation to configure a system to support the need I have mentioned on my original post. So far I have the 4 X 225 W panels ( don't have to use all 4 if not necessary) and I will probably buy 6V Trojan T-105 225AH since those are the batteries most common in Haiti - Shipping heavy stuff from the US could be expensive.

My original post also mentioned using a small freezer during the day- No perishable food is kept on the freezer - Once the items in the freezer are frozen, mostly water and other drinking liquid it can be unplugged for many hours. The content will remain cold/cool for a long time as long as you don't keep opening the freezer. Currently the freezer is used when I run a 2.5 KW generator.

My current green power system is a 4x30W PV - 30A Xantrex PWM - 2x6v Trojan T-105 225AH 1000 Watt 12V inverter - ain't much, but helped me get by in the last 3 years when I go visit.

Thank you. and sincere appreciation,

Harry

48V Off-grid System - 1890W panel array (6 x 315) in 3S2P configuration, MNPV3 Combiner, MNDC Enclosure, Whiz Bang JR, Classic 150 CC, 2.5K Inverter Cotek SD-2500-148, 4 x 12v 204 AH FLA Trojan (SPRE 12 225)...

• BB.
    Options

You really need to define what is not "negotiable" in your system... If you want to use your existing 4 + whatever panels and design a system around them--Can do.

Of if you have a particular battery bank, then we design around that.

But--As always, the ideal is to design around your loads. If a system does not meet your loads--then it is not very useful. If the system is too big or "unbalanced" between battery bank, inverters, panels and various DC and AC battery chargers--It can be a waste of money...

For example, your freezer is a known load we can start with. Nominally, you need a ~1.2 to 1.5 kWH AC inverter. 12 volts would be OK, or 24 volt would be a bit better (and allow you more expansion options later). But this "costs" you the existing AC inverter and possibly the current solar charge controller and any DC Battery charger you may have currently.

The 4 "AC" converted to "DC" panels would charge a 24 volt battery bank pretty well with a 24 volt PWM controller--Which is a lot less expensive that just about any MPPT controller.

A 1.5 kW AC inverter would "want" a ~300 AH battery bank (just using rules of thumbs to keep discussion from getting too cluttered). A 300 AH @ 24 volt battery bank would want 5% to 13% rate of charge from solar... You could get away with 5% if system is not used too often--You should look at 10%+ if system is used often and/or for many weeks at a time (and you want to limit generator running/fuel usage):
    • 300 AH * 29 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.10 rate of charge = 1,130 Watt array "nominal"

Using the solarelectrichandbook site:
    Port-au-Prince
    Average Solar Insolation figures

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 72° angle from horizontal:
    (For best year-round performance)

Jan
    Feb
    Mar
    Apr
    May
    Jun

Jul
    Aug
    Sep
    Oct
    Nov
    Dec

Say 5.0 hours of sun minimum (that is a very sunny place), a 1,130 Watt array will produce:
    • 1,130 watt array * 0.52 end to end system eff * 5.0 hours of sun per day = 2,938 Watt*Hours per day

That will probably keep your freezer running, plus lights, laptop, etc. very nicely.

And your overnight power usage from the battery bank (or dark day):
    • 300 AH * 24 volts * 1/2 days of no sun * 0.50 maximum discharge * 0.85 inverter eff = 1,530 WH per day (no sun, or over night AC from battery power)

Around 3.3 kWH per day (3,300 Watt*Hours) is pretty close to a normal electric life with lots of conservation and turning off things not being used.

Comparing to your requirements:
    Night Time:
    Lighting 52W @ 4 hrs
    2 * 60 watts * 6 hours = 720 Watt*Hours of AC power
    52 watts * 4 hours = 208 Watt*Hours
    50 watts * 4 hours = 200 Watt*Hours
    ==========================================
    1,128 Watt*Hours per night
    Daytime
    mini-freezer 140W @ 6hrs
    140 Watt * 6 hours = 840 Watt*Hours
    Phone+camera+laptop = 400 Watt*Hours (if laptop used 4-8 hours per day)
    Blender 600 watts * 1/10th hour per day = 60 watts (6 minutes of use)
    ==========================================
    1,300 Watt*Hours per daytime
    2,428 Watt*Hours total of AC power per day.

That 300 AH @ 24 and 1,130 watt array would be "my" cost effective ideal system... Is it yours? I have no clue.

-Bill

PS: The above numbers are a bit on the conservative side--But keeps the calculations easier and allows for some extra power usage on your side. Things that run for many hours (laptop, freezer, fans, TV, lightning, etc.) are always strong canidates for conservation (most efficient versions you can buy) as well as doing accurate power measurements. The laptop may only use 200 WH per day (small system and 3 hours of use) or it may use 1,000+ WH per day (12 hours of usage on a bigger laptop). All guesswork until you have accurate numbers.
  • Sunny-HTI
    Options
    You really need to define what is not "negociable" in your system... If you want to use your existing 4 + whatever panels and design a system around them--Can do.

The existing system will be donated to a friend. I would be interested in designing a new system around the 4X225W panels I have recently acquired with possibility to expand in the future.
    As always, the ideal is to design around your loads. If a system does not meet your loads--then it is not very useful. If the system is too big or "unbalanced" between battery bank, inverters, panels and various DC and AC battery chargers--It can be a waste of money...

I definitely agree with you in that aspect. My initial load may/will increase in the future, therefore I need to invest wisely in certain components I won't have to replace in the future to satisfy my needs. - charger controller would be a good example.

My projected load for now will be around 2,000 Watt (1,020 Daytime and 980 at nighttime).I am opened to suggestion, ideas and help from the forum to build an adequate system.

Thanks !

• BB.
    Options
    My projected load for now will be around 2,000 Watt (1,020 Daytime and 980 at nighttime).I am opened to suggestion, ideas and help from the forum to build an adequate system.

Is that 2,000 Watt*Hours per day?

In any case, what do you think of the system and analysis that I did in the previous post? It is pretty close to what you asked for (can drop it down in size a bit if my power estimates are on the high side, you want to use a generator more, etc.).

Once you nail down the loads and they system sizing--Then we can look at component selection.

-Bill
  • Sunny-HTI
    Options
    Is that 2,000 Watt*Hours per day?

In any case, what do you think of the system and analysis that I did in the previous post? It is pretty close to what you asked for (can drop it down in size a bit if my power estimates are on the high side, you want to use a generator more, etc.).

Once you nail down the loads and they system sizing--Then we can look at component selection.

-Bill

Whoa Bill ! You really enjoy this stuff.

Yes it's 2,000 Watt*Hours per day.The system and analysis you did previously was very helpful. Since I pretty much have to buy everything else but the panel, I could use your help for component selection and design.

I would prefer not to use the generator, except when really necessary ( ironing, clothes washing etc..) A gallon of gas is a little bit over $ US 5.00 and not readily available in the remote island.

Do you think an hybrid system ( wind/solar) would be a good idea? The location is right on the ocean and the wind is pretty good there.

Thank you.

• BB.
    Options

Harry, this your existing system?
    4x30W PV - 30A Xantrex PWM - 2x6v Trojan T-105 225AH 1000 Watt 12V inverter

Have you put your freezer on your present system (see if it even starts)?

The big deal (for me) is the ~300 AH battery bank @ 24 volts (or ~600 AH at 12 volts if you want to keep the present 1kW 12 volt inverter)...

If that is too much battery bank, then what would be cost effective for you?

The battery bank is the "heart" of your system and will define starting surge current, how much power you can pull over night (or cloudy day), etc... The rest of the hardware "hangs" on the battery and is there to keep the battery "happy".

We can make any system configuration "work" (within reason)--But I would really like the system to meet your needs/expectations. You can push/pull specific parts of the system by -50% or +100% -- Beyond that, it is difficult to get stuff to "play together" nicely.

If the system is used a few days a week, or a couple weeks at a time and turned off the rest of the time--Solar power is very difficult to make it cost effective. Many times, a smaller/efficient genset and the cost of fuel is still chea per (if you can get a Honda or Yamaha inverter-generator--it would not be a bad deal).

Batteries have a limited life (in tropics, batteries age faster) and standard golf cart type battery--Perhaps 3-5 years.

And with batteries, you can spend 2x as much (better batteries, larger bank) and the batteries will last around 2x longer.... No real cost savings, just longer times between more expensive battery changes.

If you have issue with theft--You probably want to leave the minimum size system possible out there--Just less to lose.

A small system for lights+radio+TV and the genset for the larger loads (1-2 gallons per day when those loads are needed).

For a part time residence system, minimizing your big loads that you run from solar and the bigger stuff from the genset (few hours during the day, perhaps a few times a week) is usually more cost effective.

-Bill
  • BB.
    Options

I forgot to answer the question about wind turbines... Note that I am not a big fan of small wind. In my limited opinion, it is difficult to find reliable turbines (that will last more than 1-2 years), towers are expensive (typically 60-90 feet tall, or more), and it is hard to find a turbine that will meet it specifications and give useful power in moderate winds for most people. Plus if you have high winds / lightning in the region--Turbines are not a lot of fun.

If you have reasonable sun and can make it through cloudy periods on your batteries+gasoline genset--You will usually be pretty happy, and just add a couple more solar panels if you need more power.

Check around your area and see if anyone has a turbine they like... Ideally one that they have some sort of AH meter on so they can tell how how much power per month their unit generates.

There are a few people here with wind turbines--But you need to have high average winds and non-turbulent air to get useful power from them.

-Bill
  • Sunny-HTI
    Options

Hi Bill,

I have connected the freezer by mistake in my existing system a couple times, and it works. Usually I connect the freezer if the generator is in service.

The existing solar system will be donated to a friend, and I will have to start from scratch.

As previously mentioned, starting this year, the house will see a lot more use and sometime when I am not around - a better system will be necessary. Up to now I was spending just a few weeks a year there, but I had a guardian on the property, and his usage was limited to a couple light bulbs and cell phone charging. Theft isn't an issue.
    The big deal (for me) is the ~300 AH battery bank @ 24 volts (or ~600 AH at 12 volts if you want to keep the present 1kW 12 volt inverter)...

If that is too much battery bank, then what would be cost effective for you?

If I have to buy battery in Haiti(more cost effective) I will probably have to stick with the Trojan T-105, 225 AH since they are the most popular battery that can be found over there. If I have to buy battery in the sates, I will have to get them shipped to me in NY, then shipped to Haiti. The T-105 is about the same price in Haiti and the states.

I would be ok with any of the above battery banks that serve my need the best.

As far as the wind turbine is concerned, it was just an idea - I was thinking it could help keep the battery's charged at night. I have seen a couple of them in the island, and can inquire next time I visit there - probably next month.

My current generator is a Honda, but not one of the quiet ones with an inverter. I was thinking of getting one of the EU models in the future. I had the crazy idea it should be a EU3000iS because of the electric start - could possibly start it automatically when the battery voltage dropped to a certain level with the help of an Automatic Generator Start controller.

Regards,

Harry

• BB.
    Options
    I have connected the freezer by mistake in my existing system a couple times, and it works. Usually I connect the freezer if the generator is in service.

So, if push came to shove, a 1,200-1,500 watt good quality 12 volt TSW inverter may work OK for the freezer just fine.
    If I have to buy battery in Haiti(more cost effective) I will probably have to stick with the Trojan T-105, 225 AH since they are the most popular battery that can be found over there. If I have to buy battery in the sates, I will have to get them shipped to me in NY, then shipped to Haiti. The T-105 is about the same price in Haiti and the states.

Making do with what you have--Not a problem. In building out battery banks, 1 series string is easiest to manage. 2-3 parallel battery strings can work OK--Just more cells to check water in, and you have to be careful with cabling so that you have equal current paths to all the batteries (see the Smartgauge site for details).
    I would be ok with any of the above battery banks that serve my need the best.

In this case (unless you can find cost effective larger AH cells), your combinations be (we are looking for ~12 volt @ 600 AH or 24 volt @ 300 AH):

2x 6 volt 225 AH batteries * 3 parallel strings = 12 volts @ 675 AH (6 batteries)
    4x 6 volt 225 AH batteries * 1 string = 24 volts @ 225 AH (equal to 12 volt @ 450 AH) (4 batteries)
    4x 6 volt 225 AH batteries * 2 string = 24 volts @ 450 AH (equal to 12 volts at 900 AH) (8 batteries)

So--Looking at my 24 volt @ 300 AH (or 12 volt @ 600 AH) imaginary system above and its capabilities--Would you rather round down to to 4 battery bank or round up to an 8 battery bank--Or do the 6 batter bank (10% larger than my initial system design).

The 12 volt @ 675 AH will work OK--It will require heavier cabling and parallel battery strings--I try to avoid them, but if you need them, you need them. Also, you are looking at larger charge controllers (60-80 amps at 12 volts) vs 1/2 the rated current at 24 volts.

Note, overall, the battery bank voltage does not matter regarding power stored/size of solar array/genset, etc... It is just "easier" to deal with 24 (or 48 volt) systems when you work with higher wattage inverters and solar arrays (around 1,200 watts is a good maximum for a 12 volt system, ~2,400 watts is good for a 24 volt system, etc.)...

Sourcing locally is both good for you (easier to get support/supplies) and good for the local economy. Any of the above should work OK... You really have to do a paper design and see which will be most cost effective for you--And which will meet your needs (smaller, roughly the first pass system, or larger).
    As far as the wind turbine is concerned, it was just an idea - I was thinking it could help keep the battery's charged at night. I have seen a couple of them in the island, and can inquire next time I visit there - probably next month.

Maybe (ignore me, I am a wind pessimist :roll:). Design and build out your system ignoring wind--And once you get it running--You can see if adding wind will reduce your fuel usage for the genset/give you a cost effective boost to your total energy production, etc...
    My current generator is a Honda, but not one of the quiet ones with an inverter. I was thinking of getting one of the EU models in the future. I had the crazy idea it should be a EU3000iS because of the electric start - could possibly start it automatically when the battery voltage dropped to a certain level with the help of an Automatic Generator Start controller.

In general, it is usually very difficult to set a "manual electric start" genset into a autostart system. The small Hondas (from my limited experience) usually need some amount of choke to get going. You would have to find/make your own remote/autostart system for them.

Look for other brands, or perhaps somebody here can give you some good pointers for conversion. In general, it is hard to find small gensets to automate. Get 4.5 kW and above, then it is possible.

There is also a big divide between people that will automate their systems (designing new hardware/writing software), and others that want full manual control because something can always go wrong (at the worst possible time, and fail in the worst possible way).

If you want auto start--Looking at Charge Controller and AC inverter options will give you some ideas/more choices.

-Bill
  • vtmaps
    Options
    Maybe (ignore me, I am a wind pessimist :roll:). Design and build out your system ignoring wind--And once you get it running--You can see if adding wind will reduce your fuel usage for the genset/give you a cost effective boost to your total energy production, etc...

Very smart advice... it applies to all upgrades.... for example:

Q: should I add 2 more solar panels to my system at a cost of $1000 for the panels, mounts, wiring, etc?
    A: depends... is it worth $1000 to run your generator for an estimated 20 fewer hours per year?

Q: should I spend $1000 to buy a more efficient refrigerator?
    A: depends... is it worth $1000 to run your generator for an estimated 20 fewer hours per year?

--vtMaps