Generator sizing for a hybrid grid-tie system

2»

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: Generator sizing for a hybrid grid-tie system

Well, I was stuck for 50 years with fixed output charging. With $ 3 + a gallon gas and the noise of a screamer ( no longer allowed most places ) I had to change my way of thinking. All my first setups with the Honda EU 2000 were fixed rate DC chargers, it took 3 chargers and continually switching them back and forth to get the most output and the least Fuel and Sound. The next revision was to move to a Variable rate charger ( Xantrex Truecharge ) the problem there was that it used 20% increment output amps. I next tried a Magnum Inv / Chgr , the problem with it was the charger would go to full capacity then cut back to the output setting and kill the generator.

I guess I was about to give up when I found the Outback GFX 1312, 24 or 48 v, it had the variable charger and Generator support, Teamed together with a Honda EU 2000 ( Sound, Fuel & Variable Output ) the best of it all comes together, Pass through Loads, Variable charging and generator support. Between the generator and Inverter you have 2,900 watts of continuous power if you want it and it runs all automatic. This system will give you sustainable power for long runs. It's also parallelable to a existing system.

If you just want to charge batteries and nothing else matters a Screamer and a IOTA sized for each other and let'er rip ( The Cheapest to buy, not to run ). When I feel like that I fire up the 20kw Generator and 500 Amps of charging power ( The Most Expensive all around 10x costs ).

I have added a second Honda that I am not sure how it will fit my charging scheme yet, if at all. I really bought it as a spare. The Inverter has 60 amp pass through , so I could run larger loads or more charging power, but i really don't need it either. If I do need it paralleling Generators is a option.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    AceNZ wrote: »
    What's the best generator size to minimize acquisition cost, operation cost and noise, while maximizing fuel storage? For this application, is it better to charge long-and-slow, and short-and-fast?

The short-and-fast is going to be working against your requirement for low noise. In my pure off-grid setup with 6kWh daily load, 800Ah 48V battery and generally great weather, a 5kW petrol unit is ample. In fact if I could do it over, I'd get a smaller and more portable petrol gen which makes it more useful for work around the farm; and then just run it longer on the rare occasions when it's needed to charge the batts.

Your Quattro should be able to charge the batts in a grid-outage situation, since I believe that the newer units are configured to do so by changing the output frequency. Not sure whether yours has been wired in this configuration or not? It would mean that in grid-down situation the solivia inverter should be connected to the output of the quattro. Victron also have a device which will automatically switch the inverter over for you: http://www.victronenergy.com/solar/solar-switch/
  • AceNZ
    AceNZ Solar Expert Posts: 104 ✭✭✭✭
    stephendv wrote: »
    Your Quattro should be able to charge the batts in a grid-outage situation, since I believe that the newer units are configured to do so by changing the output frequency. Not sure whether yours has been wired in this configuration or not?

Yes, it has. When the Quattro disconnects from the grid, or if the grid fails, and if it can't use the full power from the solar inverter, it raises its output frequency slightly, which causes the solar inverter to shut down.
    stephendv wrote: »
    It would mean that in grid-down situation the solivia inverter should be connected to the output of the quattro.

My setup includes an ATS that is configured to switch the solar inverter from AC-in to AC-out if the grid fails. However, I changed the ATS a while back so the solar inverter is always connected to AC-out. That arrangement is also needed to support the Quattro's self-consumption mode.