Charge Controllers

Looking to upgrade system,whats the better of the controllers the Outback Flexmax 60 MPPT Solar Charge Controller or Midnite Solar Classic 150 MPPT Charge Controller, 150V 96A?

Thank's

Comments

• tons001
    tons001 Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Re: Charge Controllers

For me ... hands down the Midnite Solar 150. Their customer service is stellar and the thing is built like a tank. But like everything, it is matter of opinion and I am sure there are as many people that swear by Outback.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

TCVB, please provide a system description in you signature line. It helps us all understand what you already have . thanks.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

I have an Outback MX-60. It's been awesome. But now it's outdated technology is causing problems with my system so it needs to be replaced. Much research by me, for myself, convinced me that the new Outbacks were just updated Mx-60s so I should go either with a second Morningstar, or a Midnight 150. The Midnight had important features the Morningstar did not, including 96 amp capability. So I'm now waiting delivery of a Midnight 150.
    The more I read, the more I leaned toward the Midnight. Hindsight will be 20-20.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i think you'll like the classic wayne. be sure when you first turn on the battery voltage to it that you watch it without the vent cover as it fires up. (not to watch the mngp, but rather above it.) perfect for the season even if it only does it briefly.:D
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Niel
    You can always go into the Misc menu and turn LED Mode to Blinky mode for the holidays :)
  • tcvb
    tcvb Solar Expert Posts: 44

I think that's what I am going to go with Midnight Solar,i currently have some of there products and they are rock solid I agree.

Thank's

Tim
  • tons001
    tons001 Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭

If you have the means, add on their WhizBang Jr. with the Classic charge controller. You will not be disappointed.
  • mahendra
    mahendra Solar Expert Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

While the Outbacks are really good I would say if you have to get a new charge controller get a Midnite, as mentioned their customer service is exceptional and i hope they keep it that way since they are getting really busy.Also if you do your research the same guys that started Midnite were part of the engineering,designing,etc at Outback,So whats your opinion?
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Outback CCs have been good, but are a bit dated now. And, there is essentially no extension or improvement in the FM CCs, as it is IMPOSSIBLE to update the firmware in the field -- it is necessary to send the CC back to Arlington, WA (or perhaps to an international distributor, for CCs outside of NA), or perhaps, do surgery to swap a PC Board for one with revised FW installed.

The MidNite Classics can easily be updated when there are FW revisions. These FW revisions improve and extend the functionality of the Classic. As noted, the advent of the WBjr shunt monitor board extends, further the functionality of the Classic, and adds battery current monitoring and allows termination of the Absorption stage based on actual battery charge current, a giant step forward.

As alluded to, the founders of Outback are the founders of MidNite Solar. They have decades and decades of experience in the RE industry, and have a long track record of actually LISTENING to their customers, and rapidly improving their products, based on this feedback. Their Tech Support is by far the best in the industry, and they have an active Forum that frequented, daily, by the Founders and Engineering personnel, as well as Tech Support. See the MN Forum here:
    http://midniteforum.com/index.php

I have been delighted with every MidNite product that I have seen, or used.

Just based on my personal experience with the OB MX-60 and MidNite Classics. The MX-60 is a great box, still, but it just lacks some of the communication capabilities of the Classic, as well as some things learned more recently, as well as the availability of better semiconductors and later programming WhizBangieness ... and so on.

Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • niel
    halfcrazy wrote: »
    Niel
    You can always go into the Misc menu and turn LED Mode to Blinky mode for the holidays :)

ryan,
    thanks for the reminder on this as i'll give that a whirl.
  • mahendra

Absolutely true Vic .I would also like to add that Midnite solar has surpassed any customer service quality for any product/service that i have ever came across. Additionally i don't think there is anything that can top (from my point of view) recommendations and suggestions and occasionally commands:D:D from the actually founders/designers/engineers,etc. Midnite has done this exceedingly well.Not only do they offer great customer service but also They are not biased ,which i admire .They have never condemned another company's product.They simply tell you what can be done to improve your system.Bottom line great product.
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
    mahendra wrote: »
    Absolutely true Vic .I would also like to add that Midnite solar has surpassed any customer service quality for any product/service that i have ever came across. Additionally i don't think there is anything that can top (from my point of view) recommendations and suggestions and occasionally commands:D:D from the actually founders/designers/engineers,etc. Midnite has done this exceedingly well.Not only do they offer great customer service but also They are not biased ,which i admire .They have never condemned another company's product.They simply tell you what can be done to improve your system.Bottom line great product.

Midnite should hire you to do their marketing. :D
    Paul
  • mahendra

I am just being Frank.
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭

Oh, I believe you are. I think you genuinely posted how you feel. From the feeling I get from the company, I agree with you. Although I haven't done business with them yet, I will be doing so, soon.
    Paul
  • niel

from the standpoint of midnite solar many of us you would say that we should be their reps as well. in fact halfcrazy, as well as boB with robin posting only upon occasion, are with midnite solar and have posted here long before midnite solar was formed. some of us always had given our moral support and that's a fact.

ryan,
    classic is now festive with blinky mode on as we finally got some sun today.:D
  • Lesmar
    Lesmar Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi. This is my first post so be gentle on me.
    Yesterday I have purchase my first Midnite Classic 150.
    For last month I have been downloading owners manuals for solar controllers and was reading all I could. I do not understand why everybody not buying classic's.
    Classic's specks are the best controller in what is available in US. You can see what is going on in your Classic from anywhere in the world via internet.
    I have greenhouse like that and I can tell you, that it give you peace of mind. It is all is in the setup of your internet. If you get build in hardware you can program software to do anything.

I am glad to be on this board with all of you. I have learn a lot in last month.
    BTW I have purchase solar panels for $0.79 @ watt. Prices is going down on everything.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Lesmar wrote: »
    Prices is going down on everything.

Except Batteries :(
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • mahendra

true batteries and not so much on inverters as we would like
  • DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭

I love my Morningstar Tristar MPPT 60, reliable with an excellent energy harvest. If I am doing another build, I would give the midnite classic a try though .. looks awesome.