us batteries?

Options
mmag
mmag Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭✭
Has anyone had any good results with us batteries? i am in the market for a new set and the us batteries are quite a bit cheaper than the trojans, and their US RE L16XC is rated at 401 amp hours at the 20 hour rate, if anyone has any info on their products it would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: us batteries?

I'm running them now. US Battery is Deka is East Penn. Very good quality, just sold under different names. Trojans are over-priced.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Options

My neighbor has 12 of them and they have been running for about a year now with no issues.
    And he was severly undercharging them for about 4 months.
    But last month after several EQ's they all came right back up to the factory specs.

Another neighbor had 8 Trojan T105 (non RE) about the same age and had the same undercharging problem. 2 of them never recovered.

So in a way, just based on that limited 2-unit test, the US Batteries seem to be better and cheaper.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm running them now. US Battery is Deka is East Penn. Very good quality, just sold under different names. Trojans are over-priced.

The interstate L-16 is made by US Battery... around here they are less expensive than the same battery with the US Battery name. Note: not all interstate batteries are made by US Battery, but the L-16 is.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭
    Options

The Duracell High Capacity GC batts sold by Sam's Club are also made by East Penn/Dekka/US Batteries
  • mmag
    Options

thanks for the input everyone its easy to get lost when looking for batteries, i looked into the interstate l16 from a local interstate supply store and the price was more than the us batteries, they said they were made by johnson battery which is a partner of deka
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mmag wrote: »
    thanks for the input everyone its easy to get lost when looking for batteries, i looked into the interstate l16 from a local interstate supply store and the price was more than the us batteries, they said they were made by johnson battery which is a partner of deka

I only use the L16 2V cells from either Surrette, US, or Trojan for my customers and myself. I would have to say the Surrettes are the easiest to service and the Trojans the most time consuming. This is based on the one cell to water on the Surrette and the US battery having the three cells all connected as one piece and the Trojan being 3 separate caps, a Pain!

I would also nod to the US battery as it is built for the customer and not stocked. It takes some planning to buy them as they take about a month here in California where they manufacture. This is probably a problem for someone who needs them now! They all cost around $300 and have the same 2 year replacement warranty.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mmag
    Options

Thanks for the info Dave, have you and your customers been happy with the time the us batteries have lasted? I know every battery can be killed but it would be nice to hear some real experience from someone who felt they did what they should to get a good life span.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mmag wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Dave, have you and your customers been happy with the time the us batteries have lasted? I know every battery can be killed but it would be nice to hear some real experience from someone who felt they did what they should to get a good life span.

As you said, "any battery can be killed" My answer to your question really has too many variables to be useful or accurate. The ones that have not lasted 7 to 10+years were not maintained well or deeply discharged too often. A few did not make it the first month. Insist on the same date code and do not take them off the shipping truck if the codes are not all the same.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net