a couple cool looking power strips:

Options
for those of you not reading wired, they mentioned these, both look very cool. as someone with virtually everything on powerstrips, i have to try one or both, interested if anyone else already has.

http://www.bitsltd.net/SmartStrip/faqlcg3.htm

and

http://wattstopper.com/products/details.html?id=74

the first looks more promising (and affordable)

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: a couple cool looking power strips:

i too find the features on the first one better than the other one by far. i'm not sure of the switching function, but even if you discounted that from the equation it would still be by far better than the other one. the inferior one is way over priced at $90 too. it shouldn't go for anymore than $20 from what i see.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

I am not sure, but it seems like the first unit works by: Plug in the "Control" (such as a TV) and place the dependent loads (VCR, DVD, Sat Box, Cable Box) in the switched outlets. Turn on the TV, and the other loads turn on too.

Kind of interesting, but I can see issues. Want VCR to tape off Sat Box--you would need to bypass so that both are on while the TV is still off. Etc...

We had occupancy sensors at work for our office lights 10 years ago. One engineer sitting at a desk quietly thinking/working, and 5 minutes later the lights go off... Don't know how much energy they saved--but pretty much ticked off the engineers.

Also had a version in another company that turned off the lights at 6pm and every hour afterwords (no occupancy sensors)--also ticked off everyone that worked late (found out that the emergency lighting did not turn on--so we had a bunch of folks tripping over stuff in the labs, etc.).

It always seems that training folks to turn things off when not being used is the best way (however, that is hard to do in an office/work situation).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

yeah theres only one paragraph description of each in the issue, the reviewer didnt seem hot on the sensor one. the first is ambiguous as to function, one place it says its completely off when off, then it says 1w in another place (must be some control circuit, or perhaps what they meant is its control shuts off the others, (sitting at 1 watt), THEN shuts itself, as i did see on the page there is adelay off from immediate to 5 secs. if thats how it works very cool. worth finding out i think. my tv, washer/dryer combo and computer all have significant loads that need to be off. well, ill report back when i have mine

id recommend the may 05 issue of wired magazine it has al gore on it (looking forward to that documentary he has coming out) and the cover says climate crisis. its got a neat article on cool techy/trendy things you can do to minimize your footprint. much is oversimplified and skewed but still was interesting i learned a few thngs.

• System2
    Options

the switched outlook is not much help, here's how it works: it has a "control" outlet.
    anything plugged into the control outlet, when turned on, will "automaticaLLy" turn on all of the 6 switched outlets.
    theres a little pot you can turn to adjust for the switched outlets.. its purpose eludes me.
    for examble the manual says:

if your device (in a switched outlet) doesnt shutdown (when the device on your control outlet is turned off) , turn the pot counterclockwise until it does shutoff.
    or
    if your device (in a switched outlet) doesnt turn ON (when the device on your control outlet is turned oon) , turn the pot clockwise until it does shutoff.

so you can adjust its sensitivity, but for what reason they go to this trouble i cannot tell. for those of us switching everything this ads no functionality. for example my office/sudio has one switch/strip for computer/monitor, separate strip for audio stuff/printer when used , separate single switch for speakers.

the only thing that makes it a little appealing is their suggested use: put your monitor (or a light) in the control plug, and when you flip on your monitor everything else comes on. kinda ok i guess. in my case my lcd monitor doesnt have a hard switch so that already has to be on a power strip as it never shuts off so.. whats the point?

well at least its modestlky priced and also provides line conditioning and surge protection.

of note the strips physical on/off switch registers zero on the killawatt so they did a good jon there ,im not sure how low the killawatt will go but ive never seen anything that was "on" draw zero from the watts display.

one thing ive considered: of my home theatre setup the (switched on a strip) the surround sound system is energy star and uses 1-2watts when off. i was considering making that the control plug and using this out there just to make it easier so we could use remotes. although zero watts is better than 1 :(:|
  • System2
    Options

I was thinking of something like this for all those wall-warts, and another for the home stereo. It's not automagical like those, but I kind of like the idea of individual switches. FWIW, music stores tend to carry a version of these, in the DJ section. (these are all essentially the same):
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=243-200
    http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=10881&Category=Lighting
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_american_dj_pc100a_8switch_onoff_power_center?full_sku=100313636

GC also has a four outlet version
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_american_dj_pc4_4_channel_switch_center?full_sku=801019

(sorry if this happens to be redundant)