Module poly SILIKEN 220w/30v

Options
Can these panels
- wired in 2 series outputting a voltage of 60v, but an open circuit voltage of nearly 80v -
match without problem with the regulator OUTBACK MX60 ?

http://www.siliken.com/pdf/Cat-ing/SLK60P6L-221-in.pdf

thks, Jacques

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Module poly SILIKEN 220w/30v

i would not series these pvs with the mx60. i would suggest to you to go to the outback website and readup on it more for yourself thus saving you the time to ask of its uses with different pvs and circumstances.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Tks, I've posted already there, but they are sleeping I think

jacques
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can these panels wired in 2 series outputting a voltage of 60v, but an open circuit voltage of nearly 80v -
    match without problem with the regulator OUTBACK MX60?  http://www.siliken.com/pdf/Cat-ing/SLK60P6L-221-in.pdf

Jacques,

The MX60 can handle these two PV modules in series with no problem. What voltage battery bank are you planning?

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    Options

Hi,

48v is planned, and 60v the array in 2 series if I opte for these modules.
    But would not I be in the same configuration problem? As their open-voltages could be up to near 80 v and with-the-what you wrote bothme in the former KANEKA thread.

To which figure could reach the loss of conversion in both of the configuration at their maximum limits ?

Jacques
  • crewzer
    Options

Jacques,

The voltage output from two SLK60P6L modules connected in series will be 59.4 Vmp STC and 73.6 Voc STC. The MX60 can handle these input voltages under virtually any environmental conditions.

The voltage output from two Kaneca 60 W modules connected in series will be 134 Vmp and 183.6 Voc. The Voc is way above the MX60’s “suspend operation” limit of ~140 V, and it’s also above the MX’ documented absolute limit of 150 V.

Thank you for the battery voltage information. Unfortunately, I believe that a system consisting of a PV array rated at 59.4 V STC and a “48 V” battery bank will not work particularly well in your environment (Spain = warm and hot). The 48 V battery bank will typically need a charging voltage of between ~56 V (gel) and 59.2 V – 62 V (flooded-cell) to recharge at ~25 C.

PV module output voltage drops as the abmbient (and cell) temerature increases. Accordingly, the typical mid-day output voltage from two SLK60P6L modules connected in series will likely be in the 50 V to 55 V range with the controller operating in BULK / MPPT mode in your location. This is too low the meet the charging voltage requirements described above.

Unless you live in a cold part of Spain (is there such a place?), I recommend you consider connecting three SLK60P6L modules in series to the MX. The controller will down convert the ~80 V to the correct “48 V” charging voltage. The “extra” voltage will (mostly) be converted to additional charging current.

Finally, note that for every 100 Ah of 48 V battery capacity, you’ll need ~400 W STC of PV.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    Options

tks Jim

OK I see the problem for max. summer temperature with 2 siliken modules in serie, but I fear to be in an inverse problem in winter with 3 arrays in serie.
    I presume that with kaneka modules (direct in //, not in serie) with their 67 v nominal and 92 voc I would be in the range of the flooded batteries voltage and of the MX60.

I must find a way out of this trick. I think to have to go back to my first idea and to choose these amorphous KANEKA module.

jacques

• crewzer
    Options

Jacques,

I believe the KANEKA's warm/hot weather output voltage may be too low to charge a 48 V battery bank. I also believe that connecting three Siliken modules in series would be very, very low risk -- if any at all -- in Spain.

A single Siliken's Voc is 36.8 V, so three in series would be 36.8 V x 3 = 110.4 V. The margin of safety between 110.4 V and the MX' "suspend operation" spec of 140.5 V is ~30 V, or ~27% of 110.4 V. Allowing for a temperature coefficient of -0.5%/C, the PV modules' cell temperature could drop to 25 C - 54 C = -29C (-20 F) before the Voc became a problem. Does your location reach -29 C on winter mornings? The Siliken's actual specs are even more conservative, which should permit an even greater temerature operating range.

The decision is ultimately yours to make, but I think you'll be unhappy with the Kaneka, and I think the the "three Siliken" arrangement will work fine.

Good Luck to you!
    Jim / crewzer
  • niel
    Options

i have to appologize from before in my responce to you jacques as i didn't open the link to the pvs and took it as each pv to be 60v by how you had worded it rather than a total of 60v. crewzer is right about the 2 not being enough for a 48v battery system with 3 a good goal for these pvs in that battery voltage. i did visit the site and noticed they have models every 3w and i'm wondering of their tolerance percentages for the better tolerance ranges i've seen are +/-5%. now this could mean a 200w pv could be outputting 210w, but in all probability would be a 200w pv being advertized as a 210w pv for the higher $ for a 10w that even at $4 a watt means an additional $40 in cost to you. this is important when dealing with brands you never heard of. in this case rather than allow it to pass as a strong 209w pv they up the price and call it a $218w pv.
    jim,
    i'd like to know how you arrived at the 400w stc in pvs/100amps.
  • crewzer
    Options

niel,

No problem. A 100 W STC array can realistically supply ~5.5 A or so to a "12 V" battery, so that makes it a good match for a 12 V battery bank rated at ~100Ah. For a "48 V" battery bank, you'd need a PV array 4 X as large. So, ~400 W per 100 Ah at 48 V. YMMV.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • niel
    Options

ok, you rounded it off and didn't mean it to be an exacting figure as even 375w would work. it might just be easier to say that 5% of battery capacity minimumly should be used to charge it. for a 100ah battery that's 5amps and for a series string of 100ah batteries it's still 5amps with parallel batteries adding 5amps per battery. using watts can confuse people and many can't interpret or convert back and forth so i stay with the currents.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Options

Jim did you get to talk to Robin and boB i understand from our conversation the classic is going to be offered in a 200 volt version. That would make life good on a lot of the 48 volt systems out there. also noted the classic looks to have a great cooling system in place.
  • crewzer
    Options

1/2,

I did indeed meet boB, Robin and Mary last week. We talked for ~ 4 hours over a wonderful dinner north of Seattle. The Classic is still in development, so I don't think it's appropriate for me to publicly comment on it at this time. However, I am indeed looking forward to its release!

I hope you enjoyed your visit with them at SolarFest!

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • niel
    Options

gee, i get the feeling like i've been left out of the loop here.
  • Patman3
    Patman3 Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

ya really, what's a classic? A wendys hamburger? Maybe we shouldn't know yet. but we are all curious now.
  • System2
    Options

i assume its midnight solars new inverter

brad
  • crewzer
    Options

The Classic is the new controller from Midnite Solar. Robin and boB have described some of its details in previous NAWS posts.

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

>gee, i get the feeling like i've been left out of the loop here.

Sorry Niel. It's just that you're over there... and we're over here.

Who knows ? We just might be over your way before the full release. Ya just never know !

BTW, MidNite and Magnum (and I) will be in John Day Oregon for Sol West later this week. That's always
    fun. www.solwest.org

boB

• niel
    Options

yea i know, but seeing that you guys all hooked up made me wish i were there.