13»

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: battery, your thoughts-help
    Watt wrote: »
    For absorb, I stick with just a volt or so lower than bulk

How do you do that? It sounds like the charging profile used by some of the grid powered forklift battery chargers that use a constant current finish charge. Those chargers get all confused by loads.

Most RE chargers (such as your classic or your magnum) do not have a way to set Absorb to a different voltage than Bulk.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    One thing I have found that is a little disappointing is Peukert's law and the Peukert's constant these batteries have.
    One of the biggest issues with Forklift batteries is that Inverter efficiency is based on DC voltage of 48 V feed. The Inverter efficiency drops from the 90% range to the 70 % range as the voltage dips so you get a double hammer dropped on capacity.
  • Watt
    Watt Solar Expert Posts: 32
    Options

vtMaps, good catch.

In that mess above, I should have written EQ. Thanks, I will fix that now.

By the way, this is the set points I use.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii74/Chevy_l88/20131201_104035_zps7a849f97.jpg
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Options

watt
    I do have the 510 ah at 6 hour = 804 ah at 20 hour battery. I have read your post but type so slow I can't respond properly now. I don't have internet so will be slow in my responces.
    Thanks
    gww
  • gww1
    Options

watt
    I absord at 61 volts and EQ at 62.4. Seems so much better then when I was absorbing at 57.2. your thoughts? Too high?
    thanks
    gww
  • Watt
    Options

gww1,

No problem, took me all night to make the post I did and still confused my stages....

Another question: Is that battery placed inside a building or room? I ask because with all the EQ charging you have done and with that battery gassing so much, I'd worry about the hydrogen build up in that room...
  • Watt
    Options

I wouldn't know what is right or wrong for your battery. You talked with the manufacture and by that, you can't go wrong. I don't have a new battery like you do, I have some old beat up ones.

My thoughts, though, are:

Why beat the batteries up with extra voltage.
    ' My ' experience has been to find the lowest possible absorb voltage setting that increases SG and minimizes gassing yet bring SG up to near max every charge.
    Complete an EQ at the end of an absorb stage: This lets me;
    Get a handle on when the battery requires an EQ.
    To see if the absorb scheme is working correctly.
    Check the SG to see if I even need an EQ charge.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Wattr,

I do not want to be too argumentative, however. If those of us with battery-based power systems are beating our batteries to death with discharges at the 6 hour rate (or similar heavy discharges) for extended times, then believe that there is a serious battery sizing issue.

The systems here have battery discharges well under the 100 hr rate, for extended times.

You and BC04 HAVE made good points about the Peukert effects regarding Forklift batteries. These are good points. But it is my bet that these very high relative current demands of RE battery systems are quite rare.

Some UPS and similar systems may well beat the batteries to near-death, but seems that this is not very common.

Realize that gww IS grid connected, and the exact nature of that system is not clear to me -- seems that that system has large Opportunity loads that are not extracted from the battery ... still trying to figure out just what/when all of the demands are placed on the system, and so on.

Just an observation. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Watt
    Options
    Vic wrote: »
    Hi Wattr,

I do not want to be too argumentative, however. If those of us with battery-based power systems are beating our batteries to death with discharges at the 6 hour rate (or similar heavy discharges) for extended times, then believe that there is a serious battery sizing issue.

The systems here have battery discharges well under the 100 hr rate, for extended times.

You and BC04 HAVE made good points about the Peukert effects regarding Forklift batteries. These are good points. But it is my bet that these very high relative current demands of RE battery systems are quite rare.

Some UPS and similar systems may well beat the batteries to near-death, but seems that this is not very common.

Realize that gww IS grid connected, and the exact nature of that system is not clear to me -- seems that that system has large Opportunity loads that are not extracted from the battery ... still trying to figure out just what/when all of the demands are placed on the system, and so on.

Just an observation. Vic

Hello Vic

My observation on the Peukert law seems to point out just how " not so good " these forklift batteries are for RE. I also believe that Peukert's law points out that in a RE environment, these type batteries require far more AH to replenish what was stored and the grid is not a viable solution to replenish these charges.

No argument, you guys rock on.

As an edit:

I think I eluded to the Peukert law and my comments regarding such. Knowing Peukert's law allows the correlation to current draws and AH ratings. He has indicated that he has a 800Ah battery and knowing Peukerts law would indicate that to be a current rate of 40A for 20hrs. Now, reading his posts also indicate that at other times his AH draw is higher than this rate, which based on Peukerst law, indicates that storage AH capacity is no longer the case and has now dropped to a lower level which may be 4 or 5 hour capacity. My comment on that was regarding when the battery would be " dead ". I understand that he is grid connected and that grid and those chargers will help insure his battery does not stay at a very low SOC if he keeps an eye on it and he will also not have to worry about the lights going out. And, by knowing the 6hr rate and the 20hr rate, he can have a clearer view as to why his battery is dead or low depending on the loads he draws and the charge he replenishes. Also, just want to point out that voltage readings of the battery under load do not correlate the state of charge directly. The load has to be considered before a " disconnect " voltage can be accurate to represent the SOC.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Vic you are correct that the average current drawn on an off grid system is not that high. Occasional short spikes will not have any measurable effect on the battery. If the particular system requires a higher sustain current draw the battery bank has to be designed to accommodate. But for most systems you are looking at an average current under 10% of capacity and the Watt hours is the major consideration.

Blackcherry's mention of the fall-off below nominal Voltage is oh-so-true. It's like going over the edge of a cliff; all of a sudden the current is ramping up, the Voltage going down faster and the inverter efficiency dropping making the situation worse.

Ever seen me recommend setting the LVD of inverters to nominal system Voltage in order to assure the battery capacity stays above 50%? :D With a forklift battery you can go lower and the curve is somewhat offset of what you'd experience with an ordinary deep cycle.

The worst problems come from people trying to run everything on the edge of its ability.
  • gww1
    Options

Watt
    25'x30' insulated shed with most but not always wood heat. I have been thinking of a exaust hood but it may never get done.

Vic

I have a hot water heater run through the inverter with the charge controller turning it on and off through the auxilary output. I have it set to turn on at .3 volt before absorb. hyst is set high like 6.0 to keep it from turning off during the mx60 sweeps. You are correct that most of the watts put towards hot water is done above and beyond what is needed for battery charging. The only exception to this is at end of day when the high hyst setting keeps the hot water on while the voltage drops which is a direct draw from the battery. Unless I spring for a classic cc I think I have to live with this to keep the mx60 working smoothly.

I have normal loads also with large surges at times. Mostly at the time I reach absorb I can get full absorb for about 2 hours before I start losing ground. I can exstend this by intervention like turning off loads while bulk charging. I only use the grid when the battery gets to low or I have to equalize or My sg's drop so bad and stay down and I need specialized charging. I have only been using the higher absorb for about 4 days counting today. I dropped the load during charging for 3 of those. I was not home to drop them today but will get about 2 hoursw absorb today. I looked at it at mid day. I don't know if this clears up my system configuration or not.
    Thanks
    gww
  • Watt
    Options
    gww1 wrote: »
    Watt
    25'x30' insulated shed with most but not always wood heat. I have been thinking of a exaust hood but it may never get done.

gww

This is a bookmark I reference when I have doubts about enough ventilation. http://www.safeenvironments.com.au/hydrogen-gas-monitoring-battery-charging-room/ I surely don't want any sparks around when I gas my old batteries.

Be safe
    Mike
  • gww1
    Options

coot
    I am in the prosses of deciding whether I am asking more then the battery/charging can provide. I hate using it, but the grid seems easier in emergencies then a generator. I still wish I would have bought a bigger battery but am glad I didn't buy 16 sams club batteries. Just checking sg's tells me that. It has really worked well the last few days and your advice as always was good.
    Thanks

Watt
    something to consider, exspecialy as I am a smoker.
    gww
  • gww1
    Options

watt

manufatuer threw out 20 amp draw for twelve hours. I almost bought a 5 year used 3600 pound battery but it was only $1500.00 cheaper.
    thanks
    gww
  • gww1
    Options

watt

Maby I could hook my temp comp back up with my new higher absorb voltage. I have old and new equipment hooked together and when the absorb voltage was 57 volts the fm80 was going into absorb at 56 volts so on the advice from outback I unhooked it. My charge controllers are finally working swo well together I am afraid to try it again.

gww
  • gww1
    Options

I have no battery meter. I am trying to assess my loads from observstion of charging and what the mate says I am using as I use it.
    gww
  • gww1
    Options

Watt
    I have my batt set to lose loads at 44 volts. My battery has ran mostly in the 82 to 84 degree temp. I have been keeping the shed very hot but will probly give it a break as winter progresses and I get more comfortible with my charging.
    Thanks
    gww
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭
    Options

I remember reading that big industrial batteries like a finishing charge after absorption once in a while at 1-3% of 20hr rate AH capacity up to 62V or so. You can fake this out somewhat by setting float higher than absorption higher than bulk (Xantrex maintains bulk voltage for the first hour of absorption - intended for reduced-time-for-abosrption boost charging, but using it backwards is good for limiting absorption current and having longer absorption times). I generally do 58.6V bulk and 59.8V absorb (often runs up to 1V less with the inverter selling to the grid in enhanced interactive mode). For 'EQ' which is actually closer to a finishing charge, I do 59.8V bulk 61V absorb 64V float, about every other month. When the voltage gets around 60V, the current is always very low. I have lots of sun and I'm also grid-tied, so I always have plenty of time for absorption and I do my settings to artificially extend absorption time and limit current at peak voltage.
  • gww1
    Options

yeho........
    I am basically matching your charge voltages. I do the bulk to a 61 volt absorb and will do an EQ at 62.4 once a month. So far my sg's are holding some higher though they seem to have a big spread, say 1.270 to 1.290. I will know more after my next EQ. My battey advisor says that the EQ should only be 2 to three hours and definatly not more then four hours. I will see what happens and If the low cells are brought high enough, I figure I will have what I have. I think if they get better great if not at least I know my base line and can watch for when they get worse.
    Thanks for all the help.
    gww