What to expect starting out with solar. ( for beginers ) common mans advice from newbie

Options
nobody928
nobody928 Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
I am still new to solar, but I have been off grid sense this past summer and would like to share some things i've learned to help people that are starting off.

First off as many have said before, conservation is key. Be prepared to start unplugging everything that your not using and limiting what you use. Monitor what is on and for how long as well.

There are certain realistic things that you can power from solar. For example; Cell phone, laptop, Led light bulbs, Led telivision, Direct TV units, dvd player, Cordless tools/ battery chargers. Search for energy efficent items and buy a kill-awatt meter to see what appliances actually use.

Do not expect to power; Ovens, cooktops, Heater, washers, dryers, refrigerators. It can be done but most the time its not a viable option for a small system.

PROPANE IS YOUR FRIEND! I use a small propane fridge, I also use propane heaters. Camco wave heaters are nice, MR heater buddy series also can get the job done. I use a propane oven and range. I spend less the 40 dollars a month in propane. Well worth the investment and it is pretty much my only utility bill.

12volt appliances can be helpfull! I use a 12 volt led tv/dvd and I love it. it draws less than 20 watts or 1.8 amps axess brand. There are some good 12 volt fans to circulate air in the summer time. I use the endless breeze wich uses 15 watts or 1.25 amps. Using 12v appliance saves you from running your inverter.

Rechargeable batteries! I love using rechargeable batteries. I use my solar panel to power my battery bank and then my battery bank to charge my rechargeable batteries. These batteries work great on some of my LED lighting. I use them in my radios, fans, and in mt daughters baby swing. I also use them in my on demand propane water heater. I use eneloop brand from sanyo.

Size and balance your system correcly. Make sure you are not over paneling or over on batteries. Your batteries are either going to never charge or never dis charge and burn up. My personal rule of thumb is 200 amp hour of battery for every 100 watt panel. Im not an expert but this has worked for me. You can also find a "system sizing estimator tool" online.

Do not expect much out of a system under 300 watts for your home. 300 to 700 watts seem to be the starting point that made my system useable for charging simple normal everyday devices and entertainment. I would not reccomend starting out any smaller.

I am sorry for any spelling errors. I also appologize in advance. I can not respond to post for some reason. Thanks for reading. Hope its some help.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: What to expect starting out with solar. ( for beginers ) common mans advice from new

Good POV post.

I will take exception/add clarificationb to a few of the remarks

Refrigerators. A big factor on which is more practical, electric or propane, depends on the amount of time spent on site. For occasional weekend use propane can work out better than investing in a system large enough to run a refrigerator. For full- or nearly full-time electric works out better.

The same is true with 12 VDC appliances; the longer you're there the more practical 120 VAC is, especially if you're going to need an inverter for something anyway. 120 VAC equipment is easier to get and install and does not suffer from the V-drop problems that can occur at lower Voltages.

Over-paneling is almost impossible; you'll probably run out of money before it happens. :D

An off-grid system should be 'size-rated' by Watt hours, not Watts.