Need some advice

brewer
brewer Registered Users Posts: 21 ✭✭
From what I have, I'm hearing it's not right and a fire hazard. Here's what I have, 12 12V AGM's hooked up in paralell, with a FX80 controller, 6 220 panels. Now I need to buy an inverter, the right inverter. I was thinking 48V, but come to find out there is more of a shock hazard. So now I'm thinking 24V. Will my battery back acomminate this set up. Can I hook up 12 batteries in series to make 24V with even battery charging? This is all new to me, so any help would be appeciated. I need to buy the inverter like today because I'm going to Mexico, where the house is on the 22nd. Thanks all.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Need some advice

48 Volts isn't much of a shock hazard really. The 300+ Volts used by central grid-tie inverters, now that's a shock hazard!

You can't hook twelve batteries in series to make 24 Volts because twelve times 12V is 144 Volts.
    You can put two 12 Volt batteries in series to make a 24 Volt battery 'string'. Make several of these strings and then parallel them to increase the available Amp hours.
    In this case you'd have six parallel strings, which is still asking for trouble as far as keeping current even is concerned.
    This is why they make batteries with greater Amp hour capacity; so that you can avoid lots of parallel connections and the trouble they can produce.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭