36 v panel

Options
patrickp8616
patrickp8616 Registered Users Posts: 6
Hi folks Im new but Ive really tried hard to research this panel before posting. Recently I went to a yard sale and bought an un-opened Renesola 250 watt panel (JC250M-24/B) with a $10 MWP 12 / 24v controller all for $20 which is how I got into this. The current is 8.75 and Vop is 36v on the panel.

Batts are 3 - 12v EverStart Marine Maxx 114 ah each.

Im wanting to power a Coleman 12v / 5 a cooler. 60 watts

How would you wire this panel? Panel is a 36v but Im sure I could use a 12v /24v controller. I will buy a MPPT controller if I have to. Batts in parallel? I can buy another matching panel if you think I need to.

12 hr cooler run time x 60 ah x 12 =720, 114 ah batts x 3 batts=342 ahs,
342 x20%=68.4 ah. Looks like I need more panel. ???

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: 36 v panel

Welcome to the forum.

What you have there is a panel which is incompatible with a 12 Volt system using the PWM type controller. With a current (Imp might be Isc) rating of 8.75 it will have a Vmp of 28.5-ish. In other words it is a "GT" type panel.

What you would get with that controller would be the full current, but at battery Voltage. In other words it would perform like a (8.75 Imp * 17.5 typical Vmp) 153 Watt panel. You'd be down about 100 Watts of power.

Your battery total (if the numbers are to be believed - wrong kind of batteries, btw) would be 342 Amp hours. As such 8.75 Amps charge current isn't going to be too helpful: 2.5% charge rate would barely keep the batteries up, much less actually charge them.

If you put the panel on an MPPT controller it will still be inadequate at about 16 Amps max. That would be only 4.6% charge rate; still below the 5% minimum no load rate recommended by most battery makers.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Welcome to the forum Patrick,

We have to be careful with solar panels... Your panel, in our terms, is not a 36 volt panel... It is a ~30 volt Vmp (voltage maximum power) panel.
    System Rating: 250 Watts
    Watts (PTC): 227.5 Watts
    Max Power Voltage (Vmpp): 30.1 Volts
    Max Power Current (Impp): 8.31 Amps
    Open Circuit Voltage (Voc):37.4 Volts
    Short Circuit Current (Isc): 8.83 Amps
    Max System Voltage: 600 Volts
    Module Efficiency: 15.4%

While it is a perfectly good panel--It is not one that can use an inexpensive PWM (pulse width modulation) solar charge controller and efficiently charge a 12 volt battery bank... If you used a PWM controller, you would lose about 1/2 the energy from the solar panel. A "true" 12 volt panel will have Vmp~17.5 to 18.6 volts or so. Solar panels, when they get hot, will have their output voltage fall (upwards of 20% on a very hot day). And 12 volt flooded cell batteries need >~15.0 volts to fully recharge (plus allow for voltage drop in your wiring).

And, Vmp=30.1 volts is not high enough to charge a 24 volt battery bank (you need Vmp~35-40 volts to do that).

So--To efficiently use this panel with a 12 volt battery bank, you would need to look at MPPT (maximum power point tracking) solar chargers. Some examples of smaller charge controllers:

Morningstar SunSaver 15 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller
    Rogue 30 amps MPPT 12/24/48 volt charge controller
    Charge Controllers from Midnite Solar - KID (should be available in a month or two???)

And, there are of course larger MPPT charge controllers in the $500-$600+ price range.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • patrickp8616
    patrickp8616 Registered Users Posts: 6
    Options

What do I do with what I have then? Pitch it and start over? How would you make this work?
  • BB.
    Options

We usually like to suggest that people start with paper designs before the purchase hardware... There are a lot of issues that need to be understood/resolved before you open your wallet. It is easy to get components that may not play well together.

The 250 Watt panel is very good--It is just to work (efficiently) with a 12 volt battery, you need a more complex/expensive MPPT type charge controller.

MPPT controllers are (usually) digital switching power supplies (buck mode down converters--technical jargon)--Which can efficiently (~95% efficiency) take the high voltage/low current from your Vmp~30 volt panel and down convert it to low voltage/high current needed to charge the battery bank. Think of an MPPT charge controller like a variable AC transformer for DC circuits.

And with solar, we are frequently in a bind--You can get "cheap" 250 Watt panels ($$$/Watt) and use "expensive" MPPT Charge controllers to "match the array" to the battery bank.

The other "main usage" for MPPT charge controllers is you can run a "high Vmp Voltage Array" and send the power much longer distances with smaller gauge copper wire (if your array is 10's to 100's of feet away from charge controller+battery bank).

But you have to do a paper design of both types of systems (PWM with "12 volt" panels vs MPPT with non-12 volt panels) and see which system has the best cost/benefit ratio for your needs.

The 250 Watt panel will work very nicely with the MorningStar MPPT 15 amp 12/24 volt controller (very nice small MPPT controller for ~$230). Or you can get a pair of 130 watt panels and a "cheap" PWM controller for ~$100 or less...

So, before you toss the panel, or get too frustrated with my replies (:blush:)--I like to start at the beginning--What are your needs? We typically start with the loads which define the battery bank. Then we use that information (plus distance between array/battery bank/loads) to size the solar array, AC inverter (if used), charge controller, etc... Then we start looking for hardware that will meet those needs.

However, we can work other ways too... Give us a battery bank and we can suggest an array+charge controller. Or give us a solar panel, and we can do a paper design for a system and then tell you how well it will perform.

Once we go through a paper design cycle, all of this should make a lot more sense... There will be some math--But it is all pretty easy stuff.

How would you like to proceed?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Always design around the loads. In this case you have a cooler which draws 5 Amps @ 12 Volts. It will probably draw that all the time because it is a Peltier/Seebeck device with no thermostat.

So how long does it need to run for? In 24 hours it will pull 120 Amp hours (5 Amps * 24 hours). You might get away with power that from two of those batteries (228 Amp hours) but even so the panel's 8 Amps won't be very effective at charging and won't have any leftover for running the cooler.

Again, what can you do about the load? 5 Amps constant is really quite a demand.
  • BB.
    Options

By the way, loads on solar are critcial to getting a cost effective/working system.

For example, a Coleman cooler that draws 60 watts is about the same amount of energy per day that a full size 17+ cuft Energy Star refrigerator takes:

60 watts * 24 hours = 1,440 WH per day = 1.44 kWH per day
    1.44 kWH per day * 365 days per year = 526 kWH per year (standard 120 VAC US fridge >~350 kWH per year)

I see that Marc has already commented about the small fridge--There is the Propane Fridge option--Great for use for a few days/weeks/months at a time... Going to solar refrigeration is usually a better bet when looking 9 months or more per year of off grid living.

There are options--Get a smaller chest freezer, change the thermostat to ~35F range, and you may get down towards ~250 WH / 0.25 kWH per day...

In general, off grid solar costs around 5-10x as much as utility power--So looking at conservation/high efficiency appliances can really save you a lot of money overall (smaller solar array, smaller batteries, etc.).

-Bill