Like you folks haven't had enough battery questions already...

Options
ILFE
ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
Howdy,

I will be looking to expand my current array, adding (up to) another 700 watts, and replacing my current batteries. I am considering going with 6 volt golf cart batteries, at 260AH each. I would be purchasing four of these. So, I would be at 1,000 watts on the array, and 520AH.

My question is, what can I do, just prior to purchasing them, to best cover myself regarding the quality of these batteries? Would putting a load tester on them be good enough? Would checking the specific gravity of each cell help?

So far, this is what I know about the batteries:

1. They are made in Taiwan.
2. The manufacturer is "TMC".
3. The batteries range in price from $180 US to $210 US.

1. T125: 6V 240Ah
2. T105: 6V 225Ah
3. T145: 6V 260Ah
4. T1275: 12V 155Ah
5. T890: 8V 190Ah
6. T875: 8V 175Ah
Paul

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Like you folks haven't had enough battery questions already...
    ILFE wrote: »
    I am considering going with 6 volt golf cart batteries, at 260AH each. I would be purchasing four of these. So, I would be at 1,000 watts on the array, and 520AH.

My question is, what can I do, just prior to purchasing them, to best cover myself regarding the quality of these batteries? Would putting a load tester on them be good enough? Would checking the specific gravity of each cell help?

So far, this is what I know about the batteries:

1. They are made in Taiwan.
    2. The manufacturer is "TMC".
    3. The batteries range in price from $180 US to $210 US.

1. T125: 6V 240Ah
    2. T105: 6V 225Ah
    3. T145: 6V 260Ah
    4. T1275: 12V 155Ah
    5. T890: 8V 190Ah
    6. T875: 8V 175Ah

Ouch! those are high prices.

Regarding the golf cart batteries... if the T105 T125 T145 batteries are different in capacity ONLY because the higher capacity uses more acid (higher SG), then I would go for the lowest capacity = lowest SG. The reason is that you are in a warm location. High temperatures and high SG mean more corrosion within the battery.

Regarding the other batteries, I don't know much about them... but look for a low SG because of your climate.

--vtMaps (trying to keep my batteries warm)
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Like you folks haven't had enough battery questions already...
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Ouch! those are high prices.

Regarding the golf cart batteries... if the T105 T125 T145 batteries are different in capacity ONLY because the higher capacity uses more acid (higher SG), then I would go for the lowest capacity = lowest SG. The reason is that you are in a warm location. High temperatures and high SG mean more corrosion within the battery.

Regarding the other batteries, I don't know much about them... but look for a low SG because of your climate.

--vtMaps (trying to keep my batteries warm)

No doubt. They must think a lot of their batteries. (Something my dear ol' departed pappy used to say, when he was looking to buy something that was over priced, in his opinion.)

They do sell a 12v 130ah Deep Cycle, Yuasa battery. Something like $120 or $130 each? No where near as costly as the golf cart batteries. Originally, I was going to go with them (from my plans last year). But, when I learned they sold golf cart batteries, I figured the cart batteries would be more suitable than deep cycles would be.

Regarding the temperatures here. It does get hot during the day, especially now that we are in dry season (very little rain this month). But, this month is the coolest month of the year. About 19c was the coolest night this month, so far. It's funny to watch the people here. Cambodians dress as though they are preparing for winter snow storms.
    Paul