Help me please....

I bought this solar panel...

Specifications:
Powerful 13 Watt Solar Charger/Generator
Briefcase is constructed of commercial grade molded plastic which provides the utmost in durability and impact resistance.
This unit was originally designed as generator to provide adequate electricity in areas lacking proper infrastructure.  This unit is used by contractors, scientists and engineers around the globe who require power out in the field.
Adjustable Support Panel - Helps Maximize Power Output
Flashing Charge Indicator
Integrated Blocking Diode
Includes all leads and connectors - this unit features detachable connections for different applications
Suitable for All 12 Volt Battery Systems
Ideal for caravans, motor homes, marine use, laptop computers, GPS systems, construction and can even power a DC fridge!!
Weight = 4.5 kg (9.9 lbs.)
Nominal Current > 700 mA
Nominal Voltage > 14V

Introducing our most powerful portable solar generator/charger. This unit is ideal for powering and charging laptop computers, GPS systems, marine electronics, DC refrigerators and thousands of other electrical appliances.  Our briefcase solar generator unfolds to reveal two huge solar panel

I need a cord to plug the laptop in....also have started charing it,,,but nothing will run...phone, fan...any ideal what I might not be doing right..any help would be appreciated...new at this...or dumb....thanks...
solaruses.jpg

solarcomputer.jpg

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Re: Help me please....

I don't know of a kind way to tell someone that they've been suckered in with hype and BS. Does anyone else?
    Sorry
    Wayne
  • System2

So this thing want work at all....if so alot more are getting suckered ....
  • Roderick
    Roderick Solar Expert Posts: 253 ✭✭

I will not discuss whether this device was a good deal or not, that's off-topic.

From the picture, it looks like it has some large battery clips.  If you can find someone with a digital voltmeter (the little ones from China are only about $5-10), they can help you measure the open-circuit voltage of your panel when it is in full sun.  If there is no voltage, then there might be a loose connection somewhere inside.  The posting looked like an advertising spec, but it seems like open circuit voltage might be 14 volts.  And possibly, short-circuit current may be 700 mA, which your friend might measure, also.  Without going into technical details, if this follows the pattern of the panels on my roof, I'd say you would get about 6 or 7 watts out of the panel, ifyou can load it down to about 11 or 11.5 volts.  Throughout, I keep a good thought that the manufacturer has not taken some liberties in exaggerating their numbers.

I'm not sure how you connected your laptop or other devices to the panel.  Did it come with appropriate plugs?  It seems like even 13 watts is not enough to power a conventional laptop, although it would probably be ok for a PDA or cell phone.  If even the smaller devices didn't work, I would suspect either my connectors were wrong size, or wrong polarity, or there was a loose connection in the panel.

This panel sounds like it would be ok to trickle charge a car battery or gel cell, but it would take a long time.  I don't think it has enough capacity to power a refrigerator, except maybe one of those small peltier coolers made to cool one soda can.

Should the voltmeter show that the panel is putting out nothing, I would try to return the panel. But I don't know where the panel came from, so don't know if it's practical for you to return it.

Good luck!
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

first of all i do hope you didn't pay too much for it. i think i've seen these between $20 and $30. it is hype because they describe it as a powerful 13w solar charger. even if they'd have called it a weak 13w solar charger it's still at max a 13w solar charger. i also don't know of any 13w source that'll power a refrigerator. it may be possible to use it to charge some aa rechargeable batteries with the right charger(regulation circuit) with your little panel as the voltage source.
  • System2

Saw it on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Briefcase-Solar-Panel-Power-Generator-13-Watts-Charger_W0QQitemZ220004519554QQihZ012QQcategoryZ41981QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Very catchy pitch, seen it before. It is designed as a trickle charger only, and will not "run" much. Sorry.
  • System2

They don't do much but they are fun to play with.

brad