battery temperature concern

Options
mahendra
mahendra Solar Expert Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
Hi there.I have noticed lately from my charge controller lately on hot days (which are around 30 degrees Celsius)my batteries (deka agms) would meet temperatures around 32 degrees Celsius .I normally did not see any thing higher that 28 degrees Celsius before.I know the complications of battery temperature.Does anyone have any inexpensive ways to keep batteries cooler .I already have a vent fan but i guess that does nothing in temperature like these.Also batteries are in shade and in the coolest possible location and receives a nice draft of cool air which is of course assisted by the vent fans.Batteries are rarely discharged below 80% soc and mostly light loads of under 1000 watts.Running watts are around 300 and occasional below 1000 .System is 12 volts.Please advise!

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: battery temperature concern
    mahendra wrote: »
    Hi there.I have noticed lately from my charge controller lately on hot days (which are around 30 degrees Celsius)my batteries (deka agms) would meet temperatures around 32 degrees Celsius .I normally did not see any thing higher that 28 degrees Celsius before.I know the complications of battery temperature.Does anyone have any inexpensive ways to keep batteries cooler .I already have a vent fan but i guess that does nothing in temperature like these.Also batteries are in shade and in the coolest possible location and receives a nice draft of cool air which is of course assisted by the vent fans.Batteries are rarely discharged below 80% soc and mostly light loads of under 1000 watts.Running watts are around 300 and occasional below 1000 .System is 12 volts.Please advise!
    Your good, 32c = 89 F is nothing to worry about. Is it the best ?? no , but it's the life of a battery. If you start to get up to 45 c = 113 F, that becomes a worry. What I'd do is try to keep the charging to a minimum in Absorb, that is where the most of the heat comes from. Bulk charge for 7-10 days and then do a full charge.