What are the drawback of the xantrex mppt 60?

Options
nobody928
nobody928 Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
I sense a lot of negativity around the xantrex mppt charge controller. What are the major drawbacks from using this controller? Why doesnt it stack up against the tristar or the outback?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: What are the drawback of the xantrex mppt 60?

Pretty much; it is just an old design that does not have all the features and functionality of an Outback FM or MidNite Classic.

On the plus side it is dependable, having been proven over many years.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options

It only works as a basic charge controller and doesn't have any extra features that are common in others controllers.

But it is very efficient, reliable, quiet (doesn't have a fan) and generally works well.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The SCC Schneider's 60 Amp CC integrates well with XW inverters, and is efficient, and has no fan, as NG noted.

Some of the disadvantages are; it needs an expensive FirmWare Implanter to do FW upgrades. Being made in China, as are many of Schneider's electronic items, the supply chain is very long (perhaps also due to large, but infrequent product build cycles), it is not uncommon for a newly-purchased SCC to arrive with quite stale, and BUGGY FW, which should have been updated by Schneider at the factory, or in distribution. But, alas, seems that this is just too tedious for Schneider -- they make this updating the customer's problem. The customer can just buy the US$ 300 or so Implanter, or perhaps try to "rent" it from Schneider for about $50. plus freight, in order to update the FW that arrived down-rev and quite possibly buggy. That has been the limit of Schneider's willingness to address problems (of this coustomer) that were Schneider's making.

I have experienced this terrific level of "Customer Support" from Schneider, several years ago with a BUGGY down-rev SCC... They refused to do anything for me other than rent the Implanter or have me buy one. Unacceptable to me.

IMHO, Schneider has the attitude that once the customer has the product, their job is done.

It is possible that Schneider CS is even better than that now, but if I have my way, will not ever buy another piece of Schneider crapola. Believe that the XW inverters are good for off- grid use, but there seem to be a number of unfixed bugs in Grid Interactive installations.

MidNite CCs are quite good -- 83-ish Amps out on 48 V systems, and all the bells and whistles + more being added, often.

Outback's FMs are pretty good CCs, although they do not have field-updateable FW.

Just my opinions, based on my personal experience with the Schneider SCC. Good Luck, you may need it. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Options

Get the Conext ComBox, will do firmware updates on update able devices and monitor and log ZanBus connected devices, on host store site.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • n4wff
    n4wff Solar Expert Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Options

+1 on the Conext ComBox. It will update the firmware on any of the connected devices, although the latest firmware on the controller is 2009. Schneider's tech support is hit or miss, but that is why I am on the wind-sun forum. Tech support here is A+ 8)
  • Vic
    Options

Had replied to the above recommendation for the ComBox in lieu of the FW Implanter (it has disappeared, and nothing Auto-Saved), but the ComBox appears to be $351-ish, plus shipping. This makes the SCC about a $900 CC, for only 60A rated output.

The ComBox may have utility in systems with XW Invereters, etc, but is outrageously expensive for stand-alone systems. And all of this to Update down-rev, stale, BUGGY FW that was in excess of one year down-rev the day it arrived. Just on acceptable to me.

Others have reported buying several Schneider XW-line products, and have had different levels of FW on some of them. In my case, even the entity that sold this CC to me was unwilling/unable to do anything to remedy the issue.

My opinions, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Sun Dog
    Sun Dog Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭
    Options

Vic, could you please make a little room in your PM box
  • Vic
    Options

Yep, sorry Dun Dog ... a bit more space now, Thanks