Has anybody heard of the Trackmax 40a mppt from windynation?

nobody928
nobody928 Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
I was looking at some low prices on these units. I wondered if anybody has actually took one apart to verify that it is a real mppt charger. Anyone seen one up close?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin
    Re: Has anybody heard of the Trackmax 40a mppt from windynation?

I have seen another controller (maybe this one) with similar limitations on the solar array input (I think (some) BlueSky MPPT controllers have similar limitations):

http://www.windynation.com/sites/default/files/TrakMax40%20Owners%20Manual_R1.pdf
    Do not connect to a PV array with an open circuit volage (VOC) greater than 55 VDC. For 12 volt battery charging, the open circuit voltage of the PV array must be between 12-30VDC. For 24 volt battery charging, the open circuit voltage of the PV array must be between 30-55VDC.

That makes the controller really only usable with Vmp~17.5 to 18.6 volts panels on a 12 volt battery bank.

That is perfectly OK... It is just you cannot use the larger (and frequently less costly) Vmp~30 volt panels on 12 volt (or 24 volt) battery banks. (note the smaller ~140 watt panels can be much cheaper to ship in small quantities).

And, you cannot use "high Vmp voltage arrays" to allow you to use smaller gauge wire between the solar array and charge controller--where the controller will "down convert" to the ~14.x volts needed to charge the battery bank (i.e., a 60+ Vmp array and a 12 or 24 volt battery bank).

If you have (or will use) Vmp~18 volt solar panels on your 12 volt battery bank--Then it would appear that this unit can work for you (It probably is an MPPT unit--But I cannot tell just from the pictures). There is one Amazon review that is pretty positive (question about indicator lights not working correctly--but controller is? Just reset to get working well).

The controller is probably 1/2 the price of other "higher end" MPPT controllers. And if it, overall, meets your needs--May be worth a try.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset