Midnite Classic programming…or perhaps better phrased a battery question….

Options
I'm in the thick of getting everything optimized and am curious if other folks have tweaked the settings on their Midnite Classics or not.

In the Midnite manual it recommended setting the absorption, float, and equalization to what the battery manufacturer recommends - so I looked up the T1275 settings and set appropriately, but noted that those voltages were at 25c - is that a standard measuring temp, and something I should worry about? Equilization at 15.5v, daily at 14.8, and float at 13.2.

Given that it will be infrequent that the batteries are drawn down significantly (any where near 60%) I'm thinking of setting the equalization schedule to 30 days (or should I just do it manually?) Batteries are all T1275's, and basically all new.

Thank you all as always for your guidance - I'm enjoying learning as I go!

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Midnite Classic programming…or perhaps better phrased a battery question….

you should have the RTS remote temp sensor in the packing box, just plug it in and place the large flat end somewhere near the middle of the bank , preferably between 2 cells and you should see the voltage change if you hold it in you palms for a it to warm it up or place it where it is cool to test.
    The reference temp is 25C and I believe it is set to adjust from there in the Classic from the factory. You can check the settings. Not at Classic right now so this from memory.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • westbranch
    Options

darn edit function ...not working ...

The reference temp is 25C and I it is set to adjust from there at the factory. You can check the setting of the amount of adjustment.

Not at Classic right now so this from memory.

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • couchsachraga
    couchsachraga Solar Expert Posts: 84 ✭✭
    Options

Perfect (that the reference temp is set the same). I have already plugged in the remote temp sensor. Each battery is in a box, I placed it on the side between the box and battery (that sounded like what the instructions recommended, though the image has it taped to the top of a battery). I'm not sure the temp will be that much different (on the side at the top vs. actually on top). I put it there for now as I know I'm still figuring things out, and can "permanently" stick it to one of the top of the batteries later if needed.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi couchsacraga,

Welcome to the Forum.

Would normally suggest that EQ be done manually, when needed. Need is normally based on the SG spread being too great on Flooded batteries (ones with removable caps), or perhaps on a specific schedule, based on manufacturer's recommendations.

Good that you have a battery box. Would usually suggest that the RTS be placed in the center of the battery bank, between two batteries -- not between an outside box wall and a battery. Also think that placing it midway down the side of a battery is best.

In addition to setting the charge voltages and Float V, there is also a setting for the Temperature Coefficient of the Temp compensation for the exact battery that you have. The manufacturer may have the recommended value. But, if not, many Flooded batteries use --5 mV per cell per degree C. The Classic has a menu entry for the number of mV, and knows the number of cells from the system voltage.

More later, have fun with the new system. You are starting with a very good CC. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    westbranch wrote: »
    darn edit function ...not working ...

Discovered this a few days ago. Also discovered (remembered for a long time ago) that if I wait a few seconds after making the edit, waiting for the change to show up - - hit reload and voila, the edit had indeed been completed, the forum just didn't tell me it was done.
  • westbranch
    Options

Hi Wayne, it may be my connection as I sit and watch the wheels spin... and spin, then I noted just now it did update...

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Guys; this is one of the side-effects of the recent server update in preparation for the new software.

Edit function works, but never goes out of edit screen.
    Posts occasionally duplicated (mine almost always).
    Warning lines on some threads.
    And a few other little problems here and there.

Right now there's heavy wet snow falling here and it keeps coating my satellite dish and knocking me off line! Now that's a connection problem! :p
  • westbranch
    Options

No problem Marc, btw you can head North to our Safeway store for your next Starbucks coffee... I prefer McD's, not as bitter.

• couchsachraga
    couchsachraga Solar Expert Posts: 84 ✭✭
    Options

Setting the equalization to manual makes sense I guess, and gives me a good nudge to check the batteries too.

I've posted this before in other threads, but since a few other folks responded I'll recap we're I've been, and where I'm going system wise.

18 months ago a friend of mine loaned me 6 panels (2 sets of 3 each) Solarex SX100 . A quick bit of research revealed the SX80's are 80 watts, and SX130's are 130 watts. So, I thought, GREAT! 600w of panels, which seemed ideal for my small 12v "camp" needs. Controller was a 30 amp unit, but had worked with the panels fine for years. So, I picked up two T1275's and set everything up.

Only to discover that SX100's are 30w panels. When they were new (in the late 70's in this case).

The system has worked well over the past year (never drawing down below 60% on the Trimetric, and typically only to 80), but takes a long time to fully charge (as you'd expect with that storage capacity and the 180w (on a good day.. when they were new) panels.

In completing PV at my house I decided to purchase a few extra panels (separate from the system here at the house) to install up there (45 min away). So I now have 4 Solar World 270 panels (originally they were going to be 235's, which left a bit more "cushion" with the Midnite Classic 200), the aforementioned Classic, and 4 T1275's.

95% of my loads (or more) are all 12v - a few lights, ceiling fans (to get the heat down), Shurflo 12v pump (biggest load right now) to pressurize a water tank, and communications (I'm have my amateur radio and GMRS licenses and have radio's for both… cell phones don't generally work there:) ). My AC loads are minimal (Rheem propane hot water heater ignition and electronics and one fan, both running nicely off a SureSine inverter). With my upgraded batteries I'll likely purchase a SunDanzer chest refrigerator in the spring.

I'm also setting up Solar Thermal to use as heating in the winter (to keep it above freezing) and pre-heat hot water. I ended up with a free 80 gal hot water tank with dual heat exchange coils in it - I wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

Thanks again for all the help!

i hope to clean up my install, and add a few more breakers and will be calling AZ Wind and Sun tomorrow to see what they recommend for my humble setup.