Thinking about going "Rogue" with a Rogue 3024

nobody928
nobody928 Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
Does anyone know what the total number of wattage that the rogue will support? Someone mentioned that you can over compensate with additional panels on the rogue without harming it beacuse on most winter days you will not get every watt out of your panel. Is this true?

I am trying to expand my 12v system to atleast 560 or 700 watts worth of panel using 140watt panels.
What are your opinions on this controller?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin
    Re: Thinking about going "Rogue" with a Rogue 3024

This is the third generation of Rogue MPPT controller--The first two generations are great performers and have lots of features that expensive options with other controllers.

I cannot remember if I have read that anyone here has done a review on the new generation controller (it has only been available for a few months)--But Marc has been very responsive to any issue that may have arisen so far (occasional technical issue, bad component, etc.).

If it meets your needs, I would have no concerns.

Regarding "over paneling"... Actually, in sub freezing weather, because Vmp rises in cold temperatures (and there can be reflections from snow fields), you actually can get higher performance from your array in winter (albeit less hours of sun per day). For MPPT controller Pmp=Vmp*Imp -- Vmp rises in cold weather, them Pmp rises too.

Note: Imp falls in cold weather, but at ~1/5 or 1/10 the rate of Vmp--so Imp changes due to temperature are usually ignored.

The general "cost effective" over panel maximum is:

30 amp controller * 14.5 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+charger derate = 545 Watts "cost effective maximum"

The calculations for solar are rough estimates--Anything within ~10% of a calculated value is pretty much "the same".

The above will give you a hand full of hours per year where the MPPT controller "clips" the output to 30 amps maximum. You can go higher, but your controller will spend more hours per year "clipping".

It should not hurt anything (as always, monitor charge controller operating temperature and provide good cooling)--However, always contact the mfg/read the manuals for details.

If you have a "very large" array, you may need to put an input breaker/fuse to meet the maximum rated input current--as a safety measure. During normal operation, the array fuse/breaker should never trip--The controller will limit its current draw from the array.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mryimmers
    mryimmers Solar Expert Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

The newest version is the Rogue 3048, the manual is available online, it says max suggested PV is 480 watts on 12 volt system. I'm new to this solar stuff,
    but from what I understand the Voc of your PV array is the most critical part to watch.
    The rogue 3048 has a max input of 100 volts, where I live I have to allow for -40 degree temps in winter, so my max Voc is a little under 80 volts for this controller. ( This info comes from Marc, the guy who makes the Rogue 3048 ). I just bought one but don't have my system setup yet.
    510 watt pv, TS-MPPT 60, Exeltech XP1100, XP600 & XP250 @ 24V, 4x Trojan 105RE, Trimetric 2030, Yamaha EF2400i gen.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I think 560 or 700 watts is too much for a routine install on a Rogue, into 12 volts.

My 400 watt array occasionally, on a bright, cold winter day, will bump close to the 30 amp limit.

Tony
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

On a 12 Volt system the 480 Watt figure is the 'true maximum' array size. If you do a typical output calculation on it you get: 480 W * 0.77 = 369.6 / 12 V = 30.8 Amps.