Can someone explain to me how a combiner box works in detail?

Options
nobody928
nobody928 Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
What type of wires go in to the combiner box? Do you put the standard pv wire through there?

I have 6 panels that are all 12v 140 watts that I am trying to install. What kind of combiner box will I need? How many strands ? What kind of wire will I need to run? Do they take pv wire from the panel to the combiner box?

My panels are all 140watt. vpm18.3, ipm 7.65amp

Watt size wires should I run from the charge controller to the combiner box?

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Can someone explain to me how a combiner box works in detail?
    nobody928 wrote: »
    What type of wires go in to the combiner box? Do you put the standard pv wire through there?

I have 6 panels that are all 12v 140 watts that I am trying to install. What kind of combiner box will I need? How many strands ? What kind of wire will I need to run? Do they take pv wire from the panel to the combiner box?

My panels are all 140watt. vpm18.3, ipm 7.65amp

Watt size wires should I run from the charge controller to the combiner box?

Use PV wire from panels to combiner. You can buy a combiner box that accepts MC4 connectors. Otherwise, buy MC4 extensions and cut them in half and use the connector end on the panels and the cut end goes into the combiner.

As to how to configure your panels, that depends on the controller and the battery voltage. The wire size from the combiner to the controller depends on the length of the wire and the current being transmitted. The current transmitted depends upon the panel configuration and the type of controller.

We need more details to give you the answers to your questions.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i